It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Temple Grandin (autism)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Dr. Temple Grandin was born on August 29, 1947, in Boston, Massachusetts, Temple Grandin was diagnosed with autism as a child and went on to pursue work in psychology and animal science. She has become a leading advocate for autistic communities and has also written books and provided consultation on the humane treatment of animals.
In 2010 a movie was made by HBO about her life here.

Autism...people fear their kids will be autistic but If you watched this movie you would understand autisic people are just different and If we "cured it" humanity would be worse off.
This little speech from the film makes me cry everytime.

Here she is talking about autism. Without autism we wouldn't have had amazing minds like Einstien or Steve Jobs.

"Different not less".
Autism is part of the human condition and while it can be deliberating for some with the right support people with autism can lead full productive lives.

Lets break the stigma of people with autism and celebrate who they are.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I've seen a documentary...on PBS, I believe, about this woman.
It was very touching.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

people fear their kids will be autistic

I see where you are going with this but i cant see a lot of parents wishing for autistic kids .

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

As someone "on the spectrum", as it were, I do so appreciate your post. Like, I TOTALLY get Temple Grandin and how her mind works. Except I am not quite so odd as she (appears) to be. But odd enough (in other people's perception) to understand the pain and frustration of social ostracism, and the failure of others to recognize or appreciate the unique gifts that come with autistic-spectrum neuroatypicality.

Speaking of neuroatypicality, did anyone else notice how friggin amazing Clair Danes is, when it comes to portraying neuroatypical characters?! I mean, she's brilliant and a hottie to boot!

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

I thought it was an Oscar winning performance myself.
I agree we wouldn't be where we are today without autism.
I do see it as a gift.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

As someone "on the spectrum", as it were, I do so appreciate your post. Like, I TOTALLY get Temple Grandin and how her mind works. Except I am not quite so odd as she (appears) to be. But odd enough (in other people's perception) to understand the pain and frustration of social ostracism, and the failure of others to recognize or appreciate the unique gifts that come with autistic-spectrum neuroatypicality.

Speaking of neuroatypicality, did anyone else notice how friggin amazing Claire Danes is, when it comes to portraying neuroatypical characters?! I mean, she's utterly brilliant and a hottie to boot!

top topics

join