It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Towns near Los Angeles already left with no running water at all

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
sign of the times? as wells run dry, towns are left to rely on bottled water alone, for all these hydration and cleansing needs!

www.motherjones.com...

Thanks to the drought, many people in East Porterville can't cook, shower, or flush the toilet at home.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Looks like another big government failure.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sovan

I knew it was bad, but not this bad. That can't be the only town either.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The government could build desalination plants and use ocean water, it's expensive, but it's better than sitting on your hands.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Darn that Global Warming.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I would swallow my pride, do my business outside and stop pouring perfectly good water down the toilet. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: alonzo730
The government could build desalination plants and use ocean water, it's expensive, but it's better than sitting on your hands.

en.wikipedia.org...

Didn't they set aside 10's of millions for that very thing. Passed some new tax or bond thing for funding , then spent a good portion on something else? Could be wrong but thought I saw that somewhere.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Santa Barbara Built a desalination plant years ago and then "ew, a shiney"

Or something to that effect, now they are thinking about ,well, here you read it....

www.latimes.com...

So now that people are PooPing outdoors and buying bottled water,

I guess they are kinda desperate now.....Ya Think?
edit on 9-9-2015 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Google:

" california desalination companies "

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Damn government can control droughts?

Its like a damn broken record.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
A few points

The town is 176 miles north of Los Angeles, in a totally different geographical area. That area (southern San Joaquin Valley) depends on rainwater (it's technically a desert), snow melt from the Sierra Nevada mountain range (lack of rain means lack of snow!), or pumping up groundwater.

Desalination plants on the coast will help coastal cities, not this area. (about 180 miles inland from the coast)

There has been so little rain, no snowpack to melt. There is crazy talk about not enough reservoirs being built, but the reservoirs that exist are lacking water!

Water tables are lowering; wells are going dry. Agriculture does draw down the water table, but even wells above the agricultural area are in danger. There is no water running down the mountain!

Drinking (good) water is not being wasted on toilets, as residents are pouring in water that had already been used for another purpose in the household. Using the backyard as a toilet invites health hazards over long term use.

Yes, there are other towns (and areas) going dry. This particular town/area has the greatest percentage of private wells running dry. It is a poor area, and people cannot afford to sink their wells deeper, unlike other areas. Some friends are getting ready to have their well drilled deeper, after having been on a waiting list one year. And they can afford it. ($25,000)

Any relief private well owners are receiving comes from private individuals/organizations and local governments. I think that some Calif Conservation Corps are assisting.

Water issues are a global matter now. This particular town is an example of what happens when wells run dry.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
wars will be fought over h20 soon....

This has been happening in africa for awhile now..

Do not forget how blessed you are to have running water, this can end at any time...

Each day should not be taken for granted...

Life is hard indeed... Don't forget that either.. it will knock you on your ass..

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Damn government can control droughts?

Its like a damn broken record.

But they sure can control the water supply.

That's the big government failure.

Where's FEMA ?

Where's the Executive E.O.s?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

So the lack of use of the things you don't like the gov using equals a massive failure?

Typical.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sovan

Greetings- Here is a recent ATS™ thread pointing out who is "buying" the ranches and farms using our money..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe folks in The Republic should've saved those 'Ice Bucket Challenges" for a 'rainy day' ? (pun intended)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76
wars will be fought over h20 soon....

This has been happening in africa for awhile now...

Its already been done, many times, killing for the best water supply has been around since the stone age.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So the lack of use of the things you don't like the gov using equals a massive failure?

Typical.

What "things I don't like" ?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Typical.

I just read several articles that point to issues with both the State and Federal government being to blame for how bad it is now. Lack of planning for droughts which have happened int he past, subsidies for thirsty plant types, no restrictions on private wells for farming, poor planning and growth control of the major cities. All can laid at the hands of government. Much of the state is a desert after all. Florida gets hurricanes, they have laws and strategies for dealing with it because they know they will happen.

V

V

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Agree,

They could also simply build pipelines from the ocean to the deserts and use solar distillation. While they are at it, use the sand to make glass on-site and build algae oil farms.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: sirChill

you misunderstood..

No kidding...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join