It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being sued by T mobile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hello Ats.

I recived a phone call saying that im being sued by att,verizon, and t mobile for an outstanding cell phone bill from 2004 for 500 dollars. The lawyer told me that they tried to contact me with a letter before. Its a civil suit. I dont remember what I ate for lunch two weeks ago I really dont remember an unpaid cell phone bill from 2004. I have no idea if i even had t mobile in 2004. I have always used pre paid and still do. Anyone have any advice as I cant afford a lawyer.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Prisoner60863

Do not under any circumstances pay a penny. This sounds like a complete scam.

Most companies will sell your debt to a collection agency that buys it for cents on the dollar. They will attempt to collect and recoup the payment they made to purchase the debt. With unsecured debt like this if you ignore them for long enough they go away.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prisoner60863
Hello Ats.

I recived a phone call saying that im being sued by att,verizon, and t mobile for an outstanding cell phone bill from 2004 for 500 dollars. The lawyer told me that they tried to contact me with a letter before. Its a civil suit. I dont remember what I ate for lunch two weeks ago I really dont remember an unpaid cell phone bill from 2004. I have no idea if i even had t mobile in 2004. I have always used pre paid and still do. Anyone have any advice as I cant afford a lawyer.

I don't know what state you are in but I am shocked that this outstanding bill has not exceeded the statute of limitations for filing a civil suit. Plus, in my state, $500 would be a small claims issue.

Are you certain this is not just an attempt to scare you and is an actual Complaint filed in civil court? You would receive Notice from the Circuit Court in your jurisdiction if an actual legal Complaint had been filed with the Court.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Get your credit report from all three bureaus (it's free once a year, or costs about $15-30). If you do owe, it will be on one or more of your credit reports. If it's not on your credit reports, then it's a scam, which is what I'm inclined to believe anyway.

People calling for money is almost always a scam. If you were really being sued, you would have had a subpoena mailed or delivered to you.

On top of that, all the carriers aren't going to sue you at the same time over a single bill, unless you owe all of them.

This sounds way too scammy to me.

edit on 9-9-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Wow I never knew that. They have lawyers calling while im on the job. The lawyer said a civil suit and I would have to pay lawyer and court fees. It kinda made me wonder why Tmobile would try and sue me from a bill in 2004 for 500 bucks and how did they get that number of 500?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Same thing happened to me a few years ago, except it was because of a credit card I ran up and didn't pay when I was younger. I was served with a lawsuit from the collection agency, they presented a settlement amount, I went to court without a lawyer and agreed to pay that amount in 4 payments. I don't know your exact situation, but I thought there was a statute of limitations for unpaid debts. I could be wrong.
edit on 9-9-2015 by Shredder36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Did you say 2004?

Check out your state law, because they have to take you to court for you debt, and if they don't go back to court in 7 years to renew the case? You don't owe them squat.

The law varies state to state, but considering this is from 2004? Check your state law and tell them to bugger off!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I don't know what state you are in but I am shocked that this outstanding bill has not exceeded the statute of limitations for filing a civil suit. Plus, in my state, $500 would be a small claims issue.

Are you certain this is not just an attempt to scare you and is an actual Complaint filed in civil court? You would receive Notice from the Circuit Court in your jurisdiction if an actual legal Complaint had been filed with the Court.

Also, by 'Notice' I mean you would have received Notice by certified mail or hand delivered -- both requiring a signature. Those are the rules of the Court everywhere although the amount of time required may vary.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Wow I never knew that. They have lawyers calling while im on the job. The lawyer said a civil suit and I would have to pay lawyer and court fees. It kinda made me wonder why Tmobile would try and sue me from a bill in 2004 for 500 bucks and how did they get that number of 500?

Tell them to eff off next time they call you. It is 100% a scam. You do not get civil actions via the telephone, they must be filed and delivered either by process server or registered mail if the first option fails.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Also, by 'Notice' I mean you would have received Notice by certified mail or hand delivered -- both requiring a signature. Those are the rules of the Court everywhere although the amount of time required may vary.

Yes!

Usually the Sheriffs department delivers the court notification as well. At least in the state I live in! Yea, I fought the man and won. Didn't cost me a dime, I just used the internet to research my states law.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I live in brooklyn ny. Thank you everyone for all your responses. Make my night a lil easy. thank you all.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

You're being sued by all three different companies? How likely is that? Sounds like a scam.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I've been through this before, my very first cell-phone. I racked up a 400 + dollar bill, then lost the phone and virtually became destitute for a number of years.

I got everything back on track and as soon as I got a phone, creditors began calling. They still haven't forgotten about a bill that was seven years old, owed to a crappy company that went bankrupt 3 years earlier. I told them to get screwed. I had nothing tangible of theirs, and thus owed them nothing. I know that I really did owe somebody, but not them. They were ass-hats, threatening, and just generally rude. So I mirrored and was done with them.. They harassed me for about a month or two, but, I never paid. I never was sued.

I say ignore it and it will go away. It worked for me.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

www.creditinfocenter.com...

looks like NY statue of limitations is 6 years.

Also in many cases they will record your conversation.

Plainly say. I do not consent to this conversation being recorded.

In many states wire taping laws do not allow people to record you without consent.

I think NY is a one party consent state. But you can still decline and hope they end the conversation..

Also you can send them a C&D letter to get them to stop calling you.

thedebtlady.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Hello Ats.

Sounds like you were the sucker born during your minute.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Sounds like you were the sucker born during your minute.

Sounds like Prisoner60863 was not such a sucker to me. He at least asked for an outside opinion before falling for it.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I believe calling you at work is illegal unless you ok'd it. A collection company also has to PROVE you actually owe the debt. Keep track of phone calls ( caller ID, call times, conversations, names, threats etc. ) You may be able to sue THEM for illegal practices. Lawyers usually give a free consultation... and some won't charge you unless you actually win the case.
edit on 9-9-2015 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Tmobile would try and sue me from a bill in 2004 for 500 bucks and how did they get that number of 500?

If it is a real suite, they cant collect.

After seven years all debts are written off. So lets say you did owe the money in 2004, well 2011 that debt was written off.
They had seven years to collect and they did not. Sounds like a scam to me.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Yep its a scam--even if they were really representatives from those companies. Basically what has been said in the thread already is pretty sound advice when dealing with debt collectors: dont pay them jack # and dont sign anything to say you will pay. I have never paid any debt collector, I have told them to take it to court--because I know how much lawyers will charge them and I went to a pretty damn good law school myself, so it wont cost me anywhere near what it will cost them--for what a couple hundred debt? LOL.

You dont need to have studied an LLB to stick it to them, just do some research into the relevant laws, you are always allowed to represent yourself..

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

You know the people calling are lawyers? How, because they said?

As other have said, this is totally a scam.

Tell them to cease and desist. And if they call you again *especially* if they harass you at work, you will be in touch with both the attorney general and the federal trade commission.

<<   2 >>

join