It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progress in Stealth Technology Materials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This has been running around a bit, but it seems there have been some breakthroughs in metamaterials to deal with the "black edge" problem the optical wavelength cloaking blankets have had. There is a paper out in the open about one group's progress. There are several pop sci write ups. They are a bit breathless, but if you can tone down the hype mentally, you get the idea if you're not a science type.

Radar stealth is assuredly much further along than most probably think. Optic stealth is a big one to pay attention to and with metamaterials and electrochomatics it may be close to 'licked.' IR is the toughie from a physics point of view.

Material has been marching faster than almost anything other than software and when our big Z says there has been significant development in that area, we ought to listen.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Now all they have to do is invent silent jet engines and daylight invisibility.

If you can see it, you can kill it.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

There's a thread topped in the forum that includes many interesting papers including optical stealth from about 2007.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Infrared is as far along as optical is. Either using panels like BAE's ADAPTIV system, heat sink type skin's that are able to wick/convert thermal energy and air cooling and dispersing exhaust emissions.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm not sure where I read this, but some military type or scientist said (roughly) "If it displaces air molecules, it can be tracked".
I'm not sure if he/she meant now, or in the near future.
Makes sense.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Spader

Trouble would be filtering through everything else that displaces air.

There was talk a while back about using left handed meta materials to be invisible. Phantom works got a big grant to look into it but alas nothing became of it, officially anyway.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spader
I'm not sure where I read this, but some military type or scientist said (roughly) "If it displaces air molecules, it can be tracked".
Makes sense.

Like the black triangles when they are using the "get outta here" booster button.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Makes sense.

Like the black triangles when they are using the "get outta here" booster button.

"Do NOT hit the big red button..."

"You mean this...*click*"

"Great, now we're 500 miles away from where we need to be..."

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: yuppa

Makes sense.

"Do NOT hit the big red button..."

"You mean this...*click*"

"Great, now we're 500 miles away from where we need to be..."

I told you not to let Lana drive. Now where is that 8 track tape i got from Agent K....

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Here's another paper and the pop sci article. This one makes 3d shapes appear flat and the material is paper thin.

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Titanium dioxide is good for wind farms, they don't show up on radar so it's helpful

top topics

join