It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

catastrophic-engine-failure-causes-ba-jet-fire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

Foreign Object Damage. Something was laying on the runway and got sucked into the engine, causing damage that led to the fire.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It appears that when the engine failed it sent pieces through the cowling that hit the lower fuselage and started a fire there as well.

The NTSB may release more information today or tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This just popped up on sky news a few minutes ago

'A UK-bound plane which burst into flames at Las Vegas Airport suffered multiple breaches of the engine case, investigators have found.

Parts of the high pressure compressor were also found on the runway, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.'

That's all it says at the minute it says more to follow
news.sky.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

That's consistent with the pictures and witness statements. Be interesting to see if they did FOD the engine out.

There were two airworthiness directives issued for the GE90-85 seen here, and one for the -115, which is the same engine with a bigger core. Both had issues with seals cracking in the engine. The inspection process was established several years ago however.
edit on 9/10/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Ok I kinda understand what you said but what is FOD?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Foreign Object Damage. Anything but air that goes through an engine. It tends to cause damage from bent fan blades, to tearing a turbine apart.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

FOD by definition is foreign object damage...which translates to the engine sucked in something that left a path of destruction as it traveled through the engine.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Gotcha .. I'm gonna apologise I didn't even see last two posts before my first. FOD was already mentioned.. School boy error didn't read the thread properly

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

No big deal. The one above yours was speculation based on pictures. That confirmed it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join