It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10/Edge browser vs ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I usually don't complain about computer glitches because well they happen.

I am just curious if anyone else who down loaded Windows 10 and their new Edge browser is experiencing problems as I am posting to ATS.

I haven't been posting much on ATS but lurking except for the past few weeks, but since I have down loaded window 10 and their new browser, I can with certainty say that I have been in the middle of posting something on ATS and my whole computer freezes! Control ALT Delete? Nothing!
I have to hit my reboot button and start up from scratch.

This has happened to me at least 8 times in the past few weeks. Only on ATS. I know it isn't ATS, so I am not insinuating it is an issue with ATS, I know damn well it is windows edge.

One other thing I have noticed?

Netflix!

Using the edge browser, it takes 30 seconds or more to start a video to watch. Switched to Firefox? Video loads almost instantly!

Just curious if anyone else is having these issues?

Not important what so ever, but just me being curious.....

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Don't use the 10 browser. Use yahoo, Google, Firefox....and set it in internet options as your homepage.

All the Windows browsers...XP, 7, etc....are just Internet explorer...choose a different one as homepage...I got 10....use Chrome to open a Yahoo homepage....no issues
edit on 8-9-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I've not been using Edge yet really, been pretty much sticking to FireFox with Windows 10.

Have not had any issues.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
I've not been using Edge yet really, been pretty much sticking to FireFox with Windows 10.

Have not had any issues.

I was just curious.

I will be switching to Firefox for ATS. I already use Firefox for other sites, but I was just curious as to anyone else having the site freeze up.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Don't use the 10 browser. Use yahoo, Google, Firefox....and set it in ptins as your homepage.

When did Yahoo start making a browser?

All the Windows browsers...XP, 7, etc....are just Internet explorer...choose a different one as homepage...I got 10....use Chrome to open a Yahoo homepage....no issues

Not all Windows Browsers are IE. Edge did some big things that I really like, though I don't use it for ATS viewing. However, XP and 7 are Operating Systems, not browsers...not sure where you're going there.

Op, I'd recommend Chrome. You won't be disappointed.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shugo

Thanks, but I will stick with Firefox. Not a big fan of google here.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Windows 10 crashed my devices and when I went to revert to windows 8.1 it screwed up the boot sequences and it got stuck in a boot loop. Luckily I had a windows 8 disk that came with my computer otherwise I'd be screwed.

I had to cannibalize my old computer HDD to break the boot loop because it didn't recognized my drives at all.

I have no idea what actually caused all of this, but I will never switch to windows 10.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hahahah, Windows Edge is just Internet Explorer, same browser same issues, yet it's still in my opinion better than Firefox and Google, I feel safer using Edge believe it or not, my computer has been compromised many times wile using Firefox and Google, those two are indeed faster to browse with but are lacking where it matters, my opinion anyway

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeeAndrewCox
Hahahah, Windows Edge is just Internet Explorer, same browser same issues, yet it's still in my opinion better than Firefox and Google, I feel safer using Edge believe it or not, my computer has been compromised many times wile using Firefox and Google, those two are indeed faster to browse with but are lacking where it matters, my opinion anyway

I used Internet Explorer with windows 7 and never had an issue with posting on ATS nor watching Netflix. Meh, just wanted some opinions, because my family doesn't use computers and none of my friends have downloaded Win10.

Glad your running fine.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Your browser choice leaves me thinking you have no idea
about computers.

Anyway for those of you so inclined.. Internet Explorer can be made the default browser
easily in Default Programs...but it is still a second class browser compared to Firefox.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I've had no problems at all with ATS under Windows 10 / Microsoft Edge, on a laptop, desktop, or phone (Lumia 830 Windows 10 phone).

Have you checked the specs of your computer against minimum requirements for both Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
I've had no problems at all with ATS under Windows 10 / Microsoft Edge, on a laptop, desktop, or phone (Lumia 830 Windows 10 phone).

Have you checked the specs of your computer against minimum requirements for both Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge?

I have a gaming computer which I built. I have 16 Gig of ram which is more than I well need, so it isn't my engine.

Thanks for the reply though and I can understand why you would ask that!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I used Internet Explorer with windows 7 and never had an issue with posting on ATS nor watching Netflix. Meh, just wanted some opinions, because my family doesn't use computers and none of my friends have downloaded Win10.

Glad your running fine.

I guess it's the luck of the dice, hope you get it sorted sir

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Shugo

'was only getting across the idea that its not necessary to have use W 10 Edge...

For the record, I have a Google Homepage/Search, Bing Homepage/Search, Chrome and Firefox all on my desktop to use whatever.

A couple are for personal use day to day, one is for FEMA/Homeland Security/Emergency Management with sec. clearences, another for whatever.

Ive found very little new and useful tweaks in Windows 10...

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

For me , it happens randomly and not just online. It will last from 2 - 10 minutes . If I bring up task manager all resources are at 0% . It seems , at least in my case , it is firefox related. I say this because once firefox starts showing any resource usage at all my PC starts returning to normal.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Lol

I can't fix a.gun so ill blame guns.for being hard for peoleple who have no experience with them.

Same thing. Now excuse me.as.I whittle.a.sharp stick.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
w10 and chrome all good here
new update is much less of a memory hog as well

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

Hahahah, Windows Edge is just Internet Explorer, same browser same issues,

Nope. Completely new. IE11 however now uses the Edge renderer. The only reason IE still exists as version 11 is because of corporate users fear of the new.

yet it's still in my opinion better than Firefox and Google,

That remains to be seen, it is a very long bow to draw. It has caught up in the speed stakes with those guys, but is it as usable?

I feel safer using Edge believe it or not, my computer has been compromised many times wile using Firefox and Google, those two are indeed faster to browse with but are lacking where it matters, my opinion anyway

Like I said, Edge has caught up in speed - as for vulnerability, that is a really big unknown at the moment. One plus is that Edge won't run Java, so that is a strong plus.

I still use Firefox as my go to browser. I have seen no reason to switch.

I have installed Windows 10 on two machines so far without any difficulty what-so-ever. One, an ancient 32bit Celeron based laptop, and the other a home grown I7 running a dual boot with Linux Mint and an out of support Audiophile Sound Card that I literally use everyday (I have not upgraded this machine that I am typing on right now - yet).

I wanted to change the default boot order on the dual boot system (Win10 boots a couple of times during the install) and I tried to apply updates to Mint first. The simple update clobbered Cinnamon (Linux doesn't break right? Right? - hah!) so I didn't bother to get the boot sequence changed and had to babysit the process to select the right OS to boot. Win 10 updated perfectly, smoothly, and even continued to run the sound card perfectly.

Also, the considered 'wisdom' in the Linux community was that the Windows 10 upgrade would destroy the dual boot MBR records and you should hold your tongue just right and have a GRUB recovery disk ready to fix things up. Well the Windows 10 upgrade didn't harm the MBR in anyway what-so-ever. But ordinary Linux Mint upgrade process killed itself and the operating system along with it and I do have to reinstall Linux Mint.

edit on 10/9/2015 by rnaa because: add snark about Linux reinstall

edit on 10/9/2015 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

Anyway for those of you so inclined.. Internet Explorer can be made the default browser easily in Default Programs...but it is still a second class browser compared to Firefox.

I think you rate IE much to highly.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Your condescension is unnecessary. I'm sure you're a god among men when it comes to computers....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join