It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mail servers - Which one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I'm looking at upgrading my mail server and would like to hear some suggestions from experienced members...

I refuse to look at Microsoft Exchange Server (read: Microsoft Ripoff) because screw them.

I've used Mdaemon on two of our domains for over a decade, and it works great - but they're quite expensive at $ 2000 for 50 users and Outlook connect for 3 years.
I've used Kerio Connect on another domain, but it doesn't have quite the functionality I'd like. And at $1815 for 50 users a year it isn't exactly cheap either.

What I need is the ability to run 3 different domains' mail delivery (for a total of +/- 50 users). POP3/IMAP/SMTP functionality. Remote accessibility (i.e. access to your mailbox via a browser). Mail lists. Rules configurability such as attachments allowed/attachment sizes/white lists/black lists etc. If configurability can be per user - even better. Mailbox forwarding. Out-of-office. Spam filter would be nice. A ticketing system would be a great bonus. Easy to administrate/set up. Back up/mail recovery and 100% logging is essential... Outlook interaction/functionality would be a nice to have but not important.

I know there are "free" or open source options out there, but the software need to run on a MS 2012 server. And my knowledge of Linux/Unix.

I've seen "SmarterMail" which seems like a good option? At $500 a year...
Then there's hMailServer but I'm not sure it's got all the functionality I need without add-ons... The price of $0 a year is very tempting though...

What say you?
edit on 7/9/2015 by Gemwolf because: Grammar

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I have been using hMailServer for some years, but it's just for a handful of email addresses that are rarely used.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

For Outlook full compatibility... well you need to look at Exchange. It simply is the best. Sounds like you would need SBS. Exchange rules corporate email because it has all the bells and whistles people like. I used to Admin an HMail server for a web hosting company, everyone always asked about calendars and junk mail function of Outlook because...well...everyone uses Office with Exchange. Trying to do things cheap is always hard and entails sacrifices. Spam/AV filtering and Backups are areas that you will have to cobble together more apps. SpamAssasin used to be good but i haven't used it in years. Have you thought about gmail or do you need to keep the email server under your control?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Why don't you contact "Platte River Networks"?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

Thanks for the input. I'm not one to fall for "bells and whistles" and with Microsoft's new business plan they can go - have a nice quiet time with themselves. Sure they have all the bases covered, but it ain't cheap.

We're pretty much "control freaks" and through experience learned not to trust anyone else with your stuff. Or as Grannie used to say... "If you want something done right..."

a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Hahaha. Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Check out Zimbra.
They offer an open source version that's free to use, and works pretty well.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Why not use Hushmail.com? Great service. I have a free account with them and lava it. $5.24 per email...
www.hushmail.com...

[SNIP]
edit on 8-9-2015 by OrgoneWarrior because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/9/15 by argentus because: removed personal website info

new topics

top topics

join