It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The inability to argue with insanity.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I hate philosophy so much....

Is this the topic?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
it is a waste of time first of all because you cannot 'win' an argument with an insane or deranged/psychotic person, dont even bother, the stress alone might be enough to send a sane person over the edge or to have a heart attack
edit on 6-9-2015 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Insanity is a broad term. Labeling people, especially to their face, just fuels the divide.

Its funny, when I bring up one of the "big" topics around people these days, I literally ask them as a disclaimer if they're open to new ideas before I say something that could disturb the force.

And remember, any fourth argument about the same topic provides free membership to the club of insane people you desperately don't want to belong to.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
You simply cannot win an argument with a person who is insane. A sane person listening to your presentation may become convinced, but there is no way of convincing a person who is not sane of anything. For example, Lets say I am holding a pineapple in my hand and claim that it is a pineapple, but another person in the room instead claims that it is a tv remote. I would be completely incapable of refuting this persons claim as I would have no stronger proof other than a pineapple being in my hand. This person and I would have a fundamental disagreement about reality, and the only solution to this would be to the resolution of a mental illness. I find the above example, parallels to the discussions I have upon morality. For example I may say that torturing babies for pleasure is objectively evil. Yet there are those who would argue that morality is based on the subjective whims of each individual person. Those who argue this are simply calling my pineapple a tv remote. There is a fundamental disagreement about reality.

I have no stronger argument that the torturing babies for pleasure is objectively evil independently of anyone’s subjective preference than the self-evident fact that torturing babies is objectively evil. I cannot hope to convince anyone who disagrees with such things that objective morality is the truth behind reality as they simply are not in touch with reality.

There are things that the majority of human beings will commonly feel repulsed by- such as torturing babies- because that is a reflex that has evolved in us to enable our species to thrive and grow.

I don't need to be taught that there is some higher universal law that dictates that as bad to do. That is unecessary fabulation.

Neither do I need such a mythical law to know that protecting babies from sick people who's innate evolved impulsions/repulsions have been thwarted for some reason and they have a drive/desire to torture babies. It is not only a natural impulse to stop them, but it is logical and reasonable.

Just as in any social animal group, where an animal that becomes sick or mentally deranged, and dangerous to the other members, is expulsed or killed by the members of the group. No one had to tell them that there is a big man in the sky with a white beard who has judged it wrong to harm others in your society.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If i speak the truth, everyone is gonna see me as a insane person, so i just play along, listening. In this world everyone is probably insane. The few who are not, are probably considered insane.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The thing is you have to be a little bit insane tl begin with to think you can become sane and by doing so help others to become sane, in such an insane world.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

we are lucky to live in a modern sophisticated society that is comprised of many many families that are able to treat their babies-toddlers as little princes and princesses at least 'pretend to be' like we do here in our almost perfect world/setting
long ago people lived like animals for the most part in caves and it was survival of the fittest, no fainthearted weaklings survived

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: yulka
If i speak the truth, everyone is gonna see me as a insane person, so i just play along, listening. In this world everyone is probably insane. The few who are not, are probably considered insane.

Amen, when the truth is insane, because the bad has become good and the good become bad, what other choice is there besides insanity?

edit on 6-9-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

It's not impossible, but it is a fantastic challenge. If you ever want to try, stop by the chemtrail forum.

As soon as I saw your avatar I knew where you were going.
Cracked me up.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Hey you like the World war Z scenario?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I would have to ask

If you are holding a pineapple and the person says it's a tv remote
Why not hand them the pineapple and tell them to change the tv channel?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Hey you like the World war Z scenario?

Only if I'm one of the diseased.

I prefer the scenario in "Warm Bodies". If your familiar with it I see my enlightenment like that of R's. I had to eat the minds of others. I had to be the zombie before I could see reality.

edit on 6-9-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

that sounds gross and no i dont want to see it ::lol

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Your two examples would only be comparable if someone was to say that the baby being killed was a banana and not a baby.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
An innocent view to be sure.
APATHY rules this world, such values have been replaced with money.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

If that doesn't expose the stealth agenda behind mind control, I don't know what does...

This is why every time someone talks about a conspiracy they are labeled a "nutter".

It's also why those who tell the truth are usually hated...

Dr. Schalers ideas relate to this indirectly also:

The diagnosis of mental illness is always a weapon ~ Dr. Jeffrey Schaler

The truth is "hate speech" only to those who have something to hide. ~ Michael Rivero

"The louder the opposition protests, the more I know I am on the right track." Zorgon

Ignorant people want to punish you for speaking the truth ~ Ghandi

The man who tells the truth is universally disliked by every person because every person has an agenda and is hiding behind a fantasy which the truth penetrates like an arrow and leaves him stripped naked before the whole universe, and he does not like that." ~ Milton William Cooper

There are few nudities so objectionable as the naked truth. ~ Agnes Repplier

“Truth always rests with the minority, and the minority is always stronger than the majority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion — and who, therefore, in the next instant (when it is evident that the minority is the stronger) assume its opinion… while truth again reverts to a new minority.” ~ Søren Kierkegaard

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

But if you torture a baby, maybe even to death, is it evil? what if the baby, when all grown up, detonates ten nuclear bombs across the globe, killing millions, but it cant, because it was tortured to death as a baby,

are you then, an evil person? even if you did it- not knowing about its evil plans about the nukes? and does it matter?

What about the ends and the means, or the birds and the bees? oh, man insanity sucks monkey butt.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

But I clearly stated that I was holding a pineapple, and claimed it to be a pineapple. Just because the analogy can be reversed means nothing.

I understood your OP, and yes I was being a bit facetious. Nevertheless, seldom are the things we debate with other people as black and white as a pineapple and a TV remote. Which is why things often end up with an OP such as yours.

You seem to think just because a large group of people call something good that it means that is actually the case.

Happens all the time in our society. Religion and politics are perfect examples.

And you and I have a fundamental disagreement about reality.

Exactly. Then you understand at least in part where I was going. Reality is often a product of consensus, rather than a product of evidence.

Doesn't matter if those people thought what they were doing was a good thing it simply was not...

God told them to. Is it still wrong? Or does God trump right and wrong? And I'm not picking on religion here. What I'm saying is that morals, ethics, right, wrong, and even reality itself, are all subject to consensus.

...and there is no way for me to convince you of that other than to again point you to the self-evident truth that the murder of babies for pleasure is wrong.

I agree with you 100%. Which is why it blows my mind, that in the 21rst century, it is not a "self-evident truth" that war(for example) is wrong. Yet... look how many support it, and believe they are right to do so. It should be self-evident, but it isn't. Which leads me to believe that humans are suffering from mass insanity.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I enjoy the show to much to tell the truth, i accidently popped out of the bubble, it gets very lonely. When the conspirators are part of the conspiracies within conspiracies within conspiracies, its insanity is nothing you ever encountered, if you wanna know the truth, you are nothing but a monkey. So maybe im a super villain who can blow soap bubbles, thousands of them.

My name Soap Bubble

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Do you believe in God!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join