It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists hunt for clues in mysterious deaths of 60,000 antelopes in four days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The extent of this die-off, and the speed it had, by spreading throughout the whole calving herd and killing all the animals, this has not been observed for any other species," Zuther said. "It's really unheard of.

But within four days, the entire herd — 60,000 saiga — had died. As veterinarians and conservationists tried to stem the die-off, they also got word of similar population crashes in other herds across Kazakhstan.

Scientists hunt for clues in mysterious deaths of 60,000 antelopes in four days

Wonder if microbes like this could ever affect a human populous in certain areas??? this is so sad.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
they already solved it. It was bacteria

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
60 thousand dead in 4 days.

The only way I could see an up side to this is if the meat was distributed to families across the region. But if it was a bacterial infection that caused the deaths, the meat wouldn't be fit to eat. Wouldn't surprise me if humans were somehow at fault.. We've screwed up everything else.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
they already solved it. It was bacteria

It's not solved. It's a normally harmless bacteria, so why did it kill them all?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

usually the temperature is cooler and keeps the bacteria dormant (normally harmless) so the antelope usually eat dormant ones and poop it out with their waste which helps the Steep process decomposition of dead grasses.

warmer temps made the decomposing bacteria active so when they ate it caused infections in them and killed them because they had no anti-bacterial to save them.

edit on 5-9-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ia reply to: ChesterJohn

Also, saiga antelope are critically endangered, so the genetic make up stems from a limited group, thus creating a higher risk of death from disease.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I did not read that explanation. I saw that normally this is only a problem when they have a weakened immune system.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

usually the temperature is cooler and keeps the bacteria dormant (normally harmless) so the antelope usually eat dormant ones and poop it out with their waste which helps the Steep process decomposition of dead grasses.

warmer temps made the decomposing bacteria active so when they ate it caused infections in them and killed them because they had no anti-bacterial to save them.

So under normal colder circumstances the bacteria would not warm up while travelling through the animal's digestive system for 4 to 16 hours? Surely it would become active in that time frame at 100 plus degrees F. Seems like something is off in the investigators logic or it's the "global warming" catchall excuse.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/5.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

However, exactly what would have triggered these bacteria to become so deadly almost overnight is still baffling researchers.

They do not normally cause disease in the animals unless they have weakened immune systems and if a disease-causing strain was spreading in the herds, the die-offs should have taken much longer.

Can you source what you said, I am still seeing they have no explanation.
www.dailymail.co.uk... ered-animals.html

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

no the acids in their stomachs would not allow a dormant bacteria to become active.

there are many bacteria that play a role in composting not just your normal bacilli type but the cocci type as well, some of which cause Pneumonia or a Meningitis.

Anyway, in natural composting there are three stages, one of which is a anti-bacterial stage that kills off the harmful ones before the composting is complete. Well if some of these bacteria (sometimes harmless) become active in a billion ppm and the anti-bacterial stage is not yet occurred and an animal eats grasses (taking in some of the decomposing material with it). Those bacteria which are usually harmless can become very harmful especially the cocci/coccus types of bacteria which are found in in decomposing leave and grasses.

I studied the effects of EM1 Million and how it has played a role in the spread of super bugs and anti-biotic resistant strains of bacteria. I posted some of the nfo here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

They died very quickly from a bacterial infection they had for at least 7 to 10 days. they were infected with the bacteria up to two weeks before their death.

Untreated bacterial infections would even kill you if you don't get anti-biotics.

These are herds that traveled and ate at the same locale.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

This bacteria is always present in them. You have yet to source what you claimed, i sourced them saying they have no idea, this bacteria normally doesnt do this.

ETA: It sounds as if this is your conclusion, not theirs. It may be right, just saying the people investigating are not saying that as of now.
edit on 5-9-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
What a shame, that is a lot of animals. Some disease that easily spread I suppose, probably bacteria.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
We're going to be seeing a lot more of this sort of thing in the coming years- prepare yourselves.

This planet has enjoyed a relatively stable weather pattern for a long time- it's coming to an end.

Exciting time to be alive, eh?

top topics

join