It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gunslinger Syndrome and the Curse of the D-ego

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I've always enjoyed butting heads with you on any subject, with other conservatives I just feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall. At least you seem to have a sense of humour and it's actually possible to have a reasoned debate with you, because you seem human unlike others on here who I feel are auditioning for a spot on Fox

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
If you weren't one I think we'd all think that something was wrong with you. Really, there's nothing wrong with being a smart ass as long as you're not mean about it-which you aren't.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I've always enjoyed butting heads with you on any subject, with other conservatives I just feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall. At least you seem to have a sense of humour and it's actually possible to have a reasoned debate with you, because you seem human unlike others on here who I feel are auditioning for a spot on Fox

I don't have the figure to be on Fox. My butt is cute, but that's about it. And too many already show their asses on Fox.

Bu thanks for the comment. I do appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I only have two pieces of advice, as someone who has never enjoyed arguments on the internet.

1) If this issue is predicated on the notion that your account carries with it some sort of reputation, and you feel it difficult to have views which conflict with it taken at face value, then while it might be difficult initially, I guess my humble suggestion would be to take pains to clarify yourself and explain why people's misconceptions about you are erroneous. Over time, said reputation will change to become more consistent with your current and evolving opinions.

If said reputation was artificially constructed intentionally and now you wish to be rid of it... perhaps that's another story. But still I would simply suggest telling people the truth about it. "I presented myself as something I wasn't necessarily. I regret it now and it has had repercussions. I am no longer doing so however, and hence forth will simply be myself." Now maybe I just don't understand why anyone would create a digital persona not consistent with their actual personage to begin with, and that's why this seems so simple to me. If so, please accept my apologies and sympathies, because I'm probably just not quite capable of relating fully.

2) Never engage in protracted internet debates. If on the rare occasion you find someone fully transparent, direct, emotionally and intellectually honest, and uniformly good intentioned to debate with, maybe then. But otherwise, generally speaking, no one ever has their mind changed about anything online in my experience. Not through arguments, at least. Through learning, the sharing of information, and the answering of questions, yes. But online arguments simply seem to trigger this strange intractability and intransigence that makes changing one's mind seemingly impossible. I have sworn off ever doing so for more than a handful of posts anymore, and believe me... it lowers the stress considerably.

Simply let yourself say, "I don't care if they believe me/agree with me/understand where I'm coming from." Once you've made a clear, well intentioned effort to express yourself, simply say you respect their differing opinion and move on. It also helps to cultivate a constant internal reminder that, "I can be wrong." Tame the ego. Humble the certitude.

That's all I've got. I hope it helps for what it's worth. Just my two cents, and as always, feel free to disagree.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I'm always open to suggestions.

You asked for it

We're all just goofin' anyway. It's pixels on a screen, not rocket surgery. Once you find you're not enjoying it, then there's the sign you're doing it wrong. None of us has to be here and none of us are getting anything tangible out of it other than whatever satisfaction the interaction supplies.

I hope you figure out what you want to do, and I hope it includes continuing to participate here. That's a suggestion, not advice. I'm not qualified to give advice and if I was, it sure wouldn't be free. I'm a classical liberal myself, but I'm not an idiot.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I don't want to become mean. I guess I need to become more humble, if anything.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

It'd be easier for me to shoe-horn ideology if I could find one where I fit.

Ah, but that's the fun of being a multi-faceted complex personality... It allows you the freedom to screw with people's minds due to the fact that they can't pin you down into any one particular box !

Take the ball and run with it bunny, run !

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Just take a deep breath and say to yourself "Do I really want to say this?" Some things sound funny in your head but not so much when it's out in the world.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Okay, as one of the people who thought you were setting a trap on the other thread, you have to admit I am not crazy for thinking that. You have made a reputation for always siding with the religious folks for acting on their so-called beliefs. Your comments on that thread seemed soooo carefully worded, which is usually what someone does when they really mean something different than what they are saying.

Anyway, if I misinterpreted it, you have my apologies. We may not agree politically, but I have greatly enjoyed your humorous posts - you have made me laugh out loud many times, and for that, I appreciate you, and hope you continue posting.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I never liked you much or 90% of your posts and I always felt like you had just too many stars for some miserable replies but I do really enjoy your 10% of greatness!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I worded it specifically to stress a point, but preconceptions being what they are, and my history, I don't blame you.

Though it is frustrating.

Thank you, however, for posting.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
I never liked you much or 90% of your posts and I always felt like you had just too many stars for some miserable replies but I do really enjoy your 10% of greatness!

*laughing*

So you're saying, "You suck, mostly, but sometimes you're okay."

Honesty is always appreciated.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Others' expectations are their own hang up.

#spl00sh

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I have a confession to. I'm not really an anime character.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Interesting, but none of us really gets a reset.

We are all 'burdened' with our past and drag it around with us.

The only hope, today. To paraphase somebody "Be the change you to want to be". Don't look back, keep your feet pointed forward and go ....

It's all any of us can do.

The tendency to 'defend' D-ego as you call it is the fundamental attribute of 'D-ego'. Defending 'self' blurs reality - as you say 'take on the attributes of what you are arguing' but it doesn't have to.

I miss a lot when I'm busily defending my self (my opinions, my values, my whatever), am less able to respond coherently. ATS is very good practise. Patience and tolerance with self and others, we can all use more of them.

You are a work in progress just like the rest of us. Listen more.

edit on 5-9-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
smart move beeze but i dont buy it
you just see some greener pastures to exploit
edit on 7-9-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

You could go out in a blaze of fire and spectacle and get yourself banned. Your account is locked and if you return, you've got to start from scratch.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
So all that Sarah Palin lovin' crap was just to push our buttons? I should have known.

Okay, I'm going to do something I've never done, ever, on anything or anywhere, for anybody, so pay attention because I will never do it again, because It's simply not the way I roll, but.....

(((beezzer)))

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's supposed to be a hug. (blushes)

It sounds more like you're tired of yourself. Your ATS persona. I've logged on before and looked at titles and started to post and thought "but I'm arguing with the same people about the same things, how is that worthwhile?" So I *think* I know where you're coming from, a little at least.

So maybe a little tired of yourself, and your d-ego, so change it -- reinvent yourself-- turn over a new leaf--make a new plan Stan, or however you want. Put a note in your signature line to remind us we have a new and improved Beez, or whatever you want -- ( Actually, maybe it should be a warning of some sort.) You could consider letting the bunny avy take a wee sabbatical if you like. He's behind a lot of this, ya know. That oughtta do it.

Or make a new account, but PLEEZE don't be silly enough to think you can fool anybody. We will all know instantly it's you.

My best to you, and please support Bernie Sanders for President. You know you want to. It's okay. It will be okay. : )

edit on 9/8/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

No.

Bring out them six guns, and keep fighting six gun wabbit.

We got a war to win, and it can't be won by quittin!

Cannon to the left of us, Cannon to the right of us.

Ride FORWARD six gun, and may GOD have mercy on their souls!

So cow boy the heck up, and git R done.

Sasparilla's on me.
edit on 9-9-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Interesting. If you really want a new start, I'll respect that w/your posts from now on. But what happens if you drift back into old habits?

I definitely believe in people getting multiple chances & having opportunities to change. But I also have good people around me who "put me in check" when I deviate from my new course.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join