It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gunslinger Syndrome and the Curse of the D-ego

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
First thread in over a year. My how time flies.

I wanted to post something about The Gunslinger Syndrome and the Curse of the D-ego.

I've been an opinionated son-of-a-bitch for years. I think many of us are. It goes with any site that provides forums for such discussions. But the problem with "constant debate" is that you tend to paint yourself into an ideological corner.

I'm a pretty liberal guy.

Yeah. I'll wait until you get over the shock.

But when you argue a "side" you tend to take on attributes of that side. It happens to all of us.

It's what I call the "Gunslinger Syndrome". Whatever you post, regardless of content, you become a target. And for years I enjoyed that. I'm an ornery, combative bastard.

But with that comes the D-ego. A curse oft seen in the internet. Where you tend to get too big for your britches and when you can't really put your money where your mouth is anymore and are just relying on a reputation instead of actual content.

Recently I sided with an issue that was neither conservative nor Christian. And people automatically assumed I had a motive. That what I posted was some sort of "trap".

Gunslinger, don't trust him.
D-ego, what's he trying to pull?

I don't know what to do, folks. I really don't.

ATS doesn't allow for current members to create new accounts, and the beezzer franchise has garnered a reputation I'm not sure I want to continue.

I guess this thread is to voice a concern, eliminate the aspect of the D-ego, and to hang up my guns.

I really don't want to fight anymore. It was fun for a while but I guess age has taken it's toll and I'm getting too old for this.

I honestly wish ATS could eliminate all my stars and flags, make me a new member named "sparky" where I can talk again without all the baggage.

Because there is so much to be learned by each and every one of you.

This isn't supposed to be a rant and it isn't intended as such. This isn't a "good-bye" but a shout of frustration. So I thought this thread applicable.

No-one needs to reply.

I've grown such a skin that heavy ammo and medium levels of radiation don't touch me much.

I respect those enough, however, that I thought this thread be worthy of making.

I'm always open to suggestions.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

-beez

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
You could always hide away for a while.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
You could always hide away for a while.

Yeah, and my prolific need to spew opinions will probably have to be pointed elsewhere. But that's life and stuff happens I suppose.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. -John Wooden

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ADAMandEVIL

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. -John Wooden

Well said. Perhaps I need to repair my character.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Hmmmm, what is the hidden agenda in this thread? Are you trying to impose your Christian beliefs on us again? The way you wrote "hang up my guns" I bet you were alluding to Jesus saying to Peter "put that sword away, he who lives by the sword dies by the sword"?
edit on 5/9/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

*openly laughs*

I guess you nailed it!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Soon I will no longer have time to make any further posts.......and they all say.....yea!

I will be starting my on radio show......

It is time I took a ten or twenty year break from ATS. Maybe if I come back I will have dementia and forget all the posts I have read and attributed too.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

It takes a big man (or bunny) to highlight his perceived shortcomings and especially on a public forum

Instead of killing the account, you could stay out of political threads for a while - rest up. Good luck with that considering the US elections lol!!! Seems like most of your posts are political and it'd be like gnawing a paw off trying to leave your main interest behind. In contrast, I'd sooner gnaw my own elbow off than go into those discussions...

You're right to warn about d-ego though. It's killed off more ATS members than anything else I can think of. Some of my favourite (and missed) members over the years have 'Gone West' when the d-ego got too heavy.

(this thread could be construed as an expression of d-ego...jus' sayin')

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

Soon I will no longer have time to make any further posts.......and they all say.....yea!

I will be starting my on radio show......

It is time I took a ten or twenty year break from ATS. Maybe if I come back I will have dementia and forget all the posts I have read and attributed too.

To be blunt I'm old, damaged and will probably be dead before you get a grey hair. But I thank you for validating my OP.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It takes a big man (or bunny) to highlight his perceived shortcomings and especially on a public forum

Instead of killing the account, you could stay out of political threads for a while - rest up. Good luck with that considering the US elections lol!!! Seems like most of your posts are political and it'd be like gnawing a paw off trying to leave your main interest behind. In contrast, I'd sooner gnaw my own elbow off than go into those discussions...

You're right to warn about d-ego though. It's killed off more ATS members than anything else I can think of. Some of my favourite (and missed) members over the years have 'Gone West' when the d-ego got too heavy.

(this thread could be construed as an expression of d-ego...jus' sayin')

How do you do an anti-d-ego post?

I don't know how self-effacing I can get.

I surrender. I concede.

Mea Culpa.

The only thing I'm planning on catching is a salmon with my son this weekend.

We're on the hunt for some steelhead.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I hear ya, try to stay out of that on this end, but angers me when groups of people(especially familiar site wise) are attacked for their own views.

Recently I sided with an issue that was neither conservative nor Christian. And people automatically assumed I had a motive. That what I posted was some sort of "trap".

Same thing happens to me. I don't subscribe to partisan sides, nor do I like the assertion that if one supports a side they must support that side 100%. As an anomaly when it comes to most issues, must leave many confused -A non Christian who supports the rebel flag! Or a Pro-Life vegetarian who shares about conspiracy theories(clearly only Conservatives share those!) and supports the Constitution. *OMG is that a Liberal or a Conservative?!* *mind blown*

Also, Is the plan of starting a new really going to work if others remain the same?
Or just avoid those heated threads.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Opinions come with baggeage.

To bastardize a common saying, "No opinion survives the first contact with war".

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Imagine the sound of no hands clapping...

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Imagine the sound of no hands clapping...

Good lord, to even reply to your post would be the antithesis of the meaning of your post and space-time might collapse.

edit on 5-9-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Yeah, sorry about that!

Bit too Zennish for any time of day

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I've been an opinionated son-of-a-bitch for years. I can't believe you've come out and admitted that you are Hillarys son - well done mate, that's a huge step.

Anyway, I have your back, even though you have roughly 30 thousand more opinions than me.

To me, you are wise and drink scotch and smoke.

Thats it.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Thats it.

Is there anything else?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Thats it.

Is there anything else?

Well, I was going to just PM you, but since you asked, you are also a cheap who........WOW did you just hear that?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Thats it.

Is there anything else?

Well, I was going to just PM you, but since you asked, you are also a cheap who........WOW did you just hear that?

I may be cheap, but I am not easy.

But I am easy.
edit on 5-9-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join