It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help installing something in Linux Mint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hi guys, so I've installed the newest version of Linux Mint last night. Long story short, I'm a complete noob when it comes to Linux, and I need help installing and setting something up.
I'm using a Logitech G510s keyboard, and I want to install something called g15tools, which will allow me to use the macro keys on my keyboard, as well as set the keyboard lighting. I've downloaded the libg15-1.2.7.tar.bz file, but beyond that, I have no idea what I'm doing.
Can anyone show me how to get this thing running, keeping in mind that I've never actually used Linux operating systems before?
Feel free to pm me if you want, any help is appreciated.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

You have to use the cmd line to navigate to the directory that the file is in and tar -xvf libg15-1.2.7.tar.bz.
That'll unzip it so you can install the file.

There's more to it than that. Try Googling "How can I untar a tar.bz file".

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Generally its not hard, theres now a bunch of installers who'll take care of the pain pretty much but its best to look at what there is and spend a bit of time getting used to linux as if you're not used to a command prompt sort of thing entering what can seem like gibberish can be a shock which can make sorting out problems even more scary

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

There is a program in your applications menu called Synaptic Package Installer.

It will do the work for you.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Since you already downloaded it Mint also comes with GDebi Package Installer which will install packages for you which are not available via PPA or other apt repositories.
edit on pFri, 04 Sep 2015 23:41:01 -050020154America/Chicago2015-09-04T23:41:01-05:0030vx9 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Shouldn't sudo apt-get install do all the work?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

Generally yes. But if the program is not in a PPA or standard apt repository you'll need to use GDebi or Synaptic.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
And this is exactly why Linux will never be accepted by the people that distros like Mint is aimed at. They made Mint look Windows simple but it's just window dressing.

Simpleton - I need to start my car but there's no key and no keyhole. Can you help me?

Wild haired inventor - Why yes! It's so simple. Ya see. All ya gotta do is crawl under the car, use this special wrench to remove the Martha Cover to expose the Dog. Once you do that, ya can get out your tweezers and fiddle around with them tiny gears in there until you hear 16,000 clicks in exactly 3 seconds. That'll be the cue to use your other hand to reach back and stroke Olga's Blossom until she starts to crank. At this point, you should tell the person helping you to get in and pump the peddle exactly 14 times, turn the steering wheel as far as it will go to the right and pray to God it starts.

Simpleton - Ummmmmmm......what?

EDIT - Oh. And I am NOT a Windows fanboi. I'm actually appalled by the way people are being violated by MS. I'm just frustrated that Linux isn't really the solution.
edit on 15-9-2015 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I'm just frustrated that Linux isn't really the solution.

You + Linux are the solution.

That's the whole secret.

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Agreed. Once you get past the curve, it's the only solution. There is no longer an excuse, especially for ATS members, to continue to use MS Windows. Did you ever get this installed, OP? If not, open up a terminal, install the dependencies needed to compile here:

sudo apt-get install libusb-dev libdaemon-dev build-essential

Then go to the directory you downloaded the libg file to, tar -xvf .tar.gz,
cd
./configure
make
sudo make install

This should go just fine, at which time you can type this : "sudo modprobe uinput" to load the program as a module. (Think of it as being the equivalent of drivers in windows).
Don't be afraid of the command line, once you use it for a bit, you'll see how easy it is.

top topics

join