It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ridiculous! The University of TN is urging students and staff use gender-neutral "ze" and "xe"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This insanity is really going to far.

Stop using the words "he," "she," and "them," and use gender-neutral "ze" and "xe"??

Really? All I can say is "Stop the damn insanity"!

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

In the boldest endorsement of a growing national trend, the University of Tennessee is urging incoming students and teachers to junk references to "he," "she," and "them," in favor of gender-neutral "ze" and "xe."

The University of Tennessee's effort appears to be the fullest example of the movement.

It isn't cute or funny anymore (if it ever was). Damned Speech Police broadening their "forbidden" words lists to hammer everyone with. It is just totally Ridiculous!

Everyone is offended by everything... you know what.. Tough Crap, things will offend you in life.

I do not see the "Right to Not be offended" in the Constitution next to the "Right to Free Speech". Get Real.

edit on 31-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think that going to far was not to upset anyone, but was out of necessity. Examples of "he", "she", and "them" was a necessary movement due to all of the mistreatment of those who take labels to far. For example, parents who mistreated their kids because the didn't act "like" their sex (boys playing with dolls, girls with trucks), anyone who was LGBT, and was abused, murdered, or harassed for also not acting like their sex.

Sometimes in order for some to have to see that things are not the same for everyone, drastic measures are taken. I am not personally bothered by it, because I know why it was needed.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

once upon a time if you wanted something, you needed to work HARD for it.
now you just need to say your feelings are hurt and people will change the world around you.
at least the article only takes about "urging" students, not imposing it.
If there is any real difference between those two words, time will tell.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Dumbest thing ever imo.The new pronouns still mean male or female so wtf is the difference?

But this has been posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like staff closed that one so might keep this one open..

edit on 31-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker why two alien pronouns, gender neutral would be just one strange new pronoun, or am just out of it. Who is ze and who is xe? Silly stuff, but I do know that dialects in the Philippines use either he or she to describe either gender. People I used to know from the Philippines didn't think it mattered if you call a woman he or a man she.
I'm curious as to just who is so darn offended by the words he or she. I guess there are some folks identifying as two genders in one and not fully transitioning. Or maybe hermaphrodites want a pronoun of they're very own. That makes sense I guess. Keep he and she and make one new pronoun for people of double gender.

edit on 31-8-2015 by peppycat because: sentince structure

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If you have a cha-cha, you are a female.
If you have a hoo-hoo dilly, you are a male.
Whatever either does with their fun parts is their own business.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Oh oh it's a duplicate thread!

But wait, when I posted it, it got shut down.

What a pickle the mods have now...

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Oh oh it's a duplicate thread!

But wait, when I posted it, it got shut down.

What a pickle the mods have now...

Why did they shut it down?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

It "ran its course."

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well how do we say these new "words" in Spanish or any other language?

"English Only" is not always accepted either.

"Press 2 for English"

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

If you have a cha-cha, you are a female.
If you have a hoo-hoo dilly, you are a male.
Whatever either does with their fun parts is their own business.

That's not always true. There are females born with a "hoo-hoo dilly".

And to the OP, no one made the words "he" or "she" forbidden. They only urged people to use the gender neutral words. There is a differences between censorship and making a suggestion.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ThinkB4USpeak2Me

And I'm not bothered by it because it doesn't make any sense. Instead of "he" as a label, it's now "ze".

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Maybe we should all be genetically modified to not have any sexually identifying body parts at all, and procreate by way of a petrie dish. Between what the facial Botox treatments do to a woman face around the eyes and no sexual organs, we'll become the aliens we always envisioned.

Yay us.

But personally, I think the incoming freshmen are smarter than to fall for this feel-good tripe.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i call a man a man,
a girl a girl,
a gay a gay
and a muslim a muslim.

it's called freedom of speech.
and i suggest no one to restrict my freedom.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Zir, are you classified as Human?

uhhmm...

edit on 31-8-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yet more ignorant faux outrage from people who can't stand any variation, evolution or change - even when it has NO IMPACT AT ALL on them.

1. This is not being enforced or "encouraged", it's a suggestion put forward.
2. This is not some national "plot" by "evil liberals" or the "big bad gubment".
3. Names are the same, you treat people with respect by calling them by their NAME.
4. "He" and "She" are just words, there was a time when they were not used. Language evolves all the damn time.

Once again, all I'm seeing here is narrow-mindedness, ignorance, outrage from people who seem more upset that the world is changing and they despise it, than they are about people having the audacity to use language you personally don't understand.

Get used to becoming an old and angry fart ranting about how "things used to be good" (even when they weren't). Society, language and Humanity is changing every day, and it's not going to go your way all the time, especially if you're so stuck up your own backside you get so easily angry about other people doing things that have absolutely no bearing on your life.

People will use the language they want to use, and it affects you in no way whatsoever.
edit on 31-8-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

This is ridiculous and it's not helping anyone's cause. Best estimates from researchers are that less than a third of a percent of the population identifies as transgender. It's ludicrous to believe that 99.7% of people are going to start changing their usage of pronouns to accommodate a subset of unknown size of an already quite small .3% of the population. It's a non-starter and only serves to cause unnecessary tension between transgender people and everyone else. I'd suggest that Donna Braquet and others who are tasked with devising ways of improving relations between people should pick their battles a bit better because the public has a narrow focus and short attention span and however well meaning these sorts of suggestions might be, they'll only distract from serious issues.

That said, the hyperbole from melodramatic conservatives isn't any better.

"Speech police?" "Forbidden words?"

gtfo.
edit on 2015-8-31 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
In fact, hermaphrodites and partly transitioned folks should get their own pronoun. I do believe we should keep he and she, though. Ze and xe seem like something Sci-Fi book. Now about the word, them, what's wrong with that now? Them seems gender neutral. Is it because he is in the middle of them? areply to: peppycat

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013
A lot of Americans still think of public universities as institutions of higher learning. They are used to hearing moronic ideas, but not from supposed intellectuals.

That we are surrounded by educated idiots is an indicator of how far our education system has fallen in this country. It's disconcerting, and that's where the outrage comes from.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Um. How is it "gender neutral" if there is a word supplanting "he" and a word supplanting "she?" Am I getting that right???

Gender neutral would only have one word for everyone, equivalent of "human."

I guess I'm just not getting it.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

This is one of the most bizarro things i have ever heard.

So they are just changing the English language as they please.

It doesn't even make sense.

He/ze/zirs. • She/ze/hirs. • Them/xe/xyr.

"Them" is not even a gender indicator.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join