It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Ad-issues? Its really just you and your habits.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
If these were from ATS, I'd be in line with the rest of the complainers. But it isnt all of us getting any of these...not at all. I honestly get none. NONE. There-in lies the answer.

When I see someone say they are ready to dump this site because of said "issues", I am dismayed at the implication that it's not considered that it isnt ATS itself....but others sites, webs, advertisers, links etc...that see the readership numbers here and start rubbing their hands together with greed. That's all on them....

You cant blame ATS for that. For being a great site? A heavily traveled one? A wide breadth of diverse readers and members worldwide? Thats all because we are a hugely popular worldwide website updated to the minute with new posts, replies and threads...like mine here. It is an advertiser's dream-site.

If youre one who really thinks ATS is the cause...then youre only 1/2 right. And we'd hate to lose 100% of a member for the wrong reasons. I see some not realizing the implications of not using ad blockers, visiting other sites, links, videos, apps, using different browser types, different Windows and Safari and Apple and Opera and Linux...it gets deep. Very deep into connections and links to sites unique to you and your viewing habits...and the trail of cookie crumbs and dough linking right back to you and your favorites on your devices, be it a tablet, phone, pc or laptop.

Given the above points...we would all have the same issue with this site. We do not. And the addage that "It only happens here on ATS when Im on", may be true for you...not me...not everyone...not always...and not always due solely to REAL ad revenue ATS does utilize.

Use your brains folks! Is it everyone? No. Is it everyday? No. Everytime, everyone signs back in? No. When you move your mouse? No. How about when you truely "drift" into the margins and TWITTER pops up? Yes? Well then? Youve got to realize we all visit different sites, links, use a wide variety of browsers, Amazon and other mail order sites that simplify our lives by "tracking" our likes and dislikes, trends and keystrokes, games and news, help and hints, movie and rock sites and how-to's on macrame', ufo's and the Kennedy Assassinations.

In advertising...its the way its done. Find the busiest and most visited sites, hit them hard from all their personal and individual searches and saves. But to blame ATS? Its not US...its THEM. The advertisers attached in your cookies, links, favorites, games and sales-sites. Its what they do. And large page cover ads can be because of your own font and screen sizes youve chosen, larger, smaller and zoomed in or out. Try it!

So, in an effort to stop the complainers that say "Im tired of all your popups and full size ads at ATS. Im gonna drop my membership!"? Think about it. Its not ATS...some small bit for revenue..sure. But ALL? No way. We are just too attractive of a site for potential sales that gets tagged by EACH OF US AND OUR VIEWING HABITS ELSEWHERE...all of us.

These unhappy members have got to realize its not all of us...therefore the problem lies elsewhere...otherwise we'd all have the same issues. I dont, and I know many many others who dont. We all are tagged by our ad choices, browsers, purchases, hits, replies, sites visited, cookies, links, games, downloads, streaming media...all of it tags us.

So, please. Because ATS is so popular, and the ad-nazi's know it...they tag this stuff and send it to each and specially designed by our likes and dislikes, purchases and viewing and gaming habits. If youre one annoyed by all these at ATS? Its YOU brother...and your settings, browsers, ad choices, purchase profiles, streams, downloads and favorite links and direct and redirects to your personal IP address.

Watching where we go and what we buy and like and where we go to? Its what the advertisers across the board do. Not all of us have any such problems here. So its not here.

Peace to all.....Mysterioustranger

GO ATS!

edit on 30-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: splckr ok

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
removed for being utter horsehockey...
edit on 8-31-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I use my Galaxy S4 90% of the time to get on this site since I had gotten this phone new.
Absolutely all I do with this phone is call, receive calls, text, receive texts, occasional GPS, and visit 2 different sites, which are ATS & MMA JUNKIE. That's it.....ABSOLUTELY nothing else. No FN Google searches, BING, NOTHING.
I have pop ups turned OFF. Always has been.
Doesn't matter what link I click on, on this site, or back out, try to sign in.....I ALWAYS get a pop up.
Maybe it's my phone, I don't know, not a tech computer savy dude.
What I do KNOW is....it doesn't happen on MMA JUNKIE.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse
Oh...and every couple of days, FN Google play pops up for tryn to get me to download free games, several times in a row......Now that's more annoying. For I HATE Google.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Its not just you dude

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: YeahYea4
Oh yeah, I figured that dude.
Good to be not alone.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
ATS should get an SSL certificate and enforce SSL on all connections.

that would at least take care of those internet providers tampering with website content - and there are some, it was discussed here recently.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster
I don't know what in the world your talkn about but yeah...SSL...certificates.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I get a roll over ad on my work comp on the bottom right of this page. but they are the site embeded ones. On my ipad, i get zero. Honestly, i think Ats does a great job of keeping the bs ads out

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Galaxy note 4 using unmodified browser and don't see any sign of ads whatsoever.

Does ats still do the thing with less ads for older members? This might be why I have no problems?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I suggest this test. Get together with a few friends...say one with phone, while another on a l.top or pc. All of you go to ATS. Now view and compare all three.

They will be different. Some will be affected, whereas not the others...or at least not the same way...or some or no ads.

That will verify the point.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Im not that savy either...but you do asscert my point. Its related to particular viewers and certainly not all...or even 1/2 the membership.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Additionally, you admit its an Apple thing...that proves my point.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I regularly scan the mobile site for misbehaving ads, and we only use ad providers (for both mobile and desktop) that say they won't do anything like unplanned pop-ups (in some cases, we do a 1-every-24-hours pop, but it's not running now), full-screen ads, or redirects. I'm not seeing any of these issues on mobile when browsing via Wifi or Verizon Wireless.

HOWEVER

I have begun to see some of these issues on mobile when I'm using Time Warner hotspots here in NYC. I've been able to capture the code, and it has been traced to having been injected by Time Warner. This is becoming an increasing issue for some providers, especially mobile devices connected to WiFi hotspots.

We've also had reports of AT&T and another wireless provider injecting ads as well.

If you're seeing something you think is wrong, please take a screen shot and contact us via the "contact ATS" link at the bottom of every page.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

See..I get no such thing. And on an android phone, Windows PC-home, Dell PC-work, and a couple different tablets.

All these are average devices-nothing special or loaded with features and apps...and for me? Never get anything. At work, I notice my co-workers as well on ATS....also no such issues.

Again, sit at your device and use another-go to ATS. Are there the same popups and ads in the same way? Im pretty sure they are not.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster
ATS should get an SSL certificate and enforce SSL on all connections.

that would at least take care of those internet providers tampering with website content - and there are some, it was discussed here recently.

Actually, no... it wouldn't prevent that. It makes it a little harder, but that's about it.

I've been testing an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) pipe into ATS and it presents a host of issues with some of our code, as well as with some of our (well-behaved) ad providers. It's a consideration, we're testing it, but no promises.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

And I have a GOOGLE-Android phone, a GOOGLE blog...and I dont even get GOOGLE PLAY STORE Apps suggestions. So....?

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Galaxy note 4 using unmodified browser and don't see any sign of ads whatsoever.

Does ats still do the thing with less ads for older members? This might be why I have no problems?

Members who are logged into the mobile site will see hardly any ads.

If you're logged in, and seeing more than the occasional ad, they're not from us.

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Really made my point that its personal devices and users...not all, and not on every device for everyone.
Thanks...MS

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Thanks for replying and clarification S.O. Im trying to make that point that ATS isnt doing this intentionally, nor does it happen to all 300,000+ members.

Thanks again....MS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join