It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This hydrogen fuel cell-powered iPhone 6 delivers an entire week of battery life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

A British firm, Intelligent Energy, has demonstrated a new iPhone 6 fuel cell that integrated seamlessly into the existing chassis and can reportedly run the device for up to a week. The manufacturer won’t directly confirm that it has worked directly with Apple to develop a fuel cell infrastructure for the company’s products, but reporters claim to have glimpsed prototype Macbook Air and iPhone devices. You can already get various fuel cell chargers that combine lithium ion batteries and their own internal hardware, but what Internal Energy has worked on is (supposedly) quite different.

This hydrogen fuel cell-powered iPhone 6 delivers an entire week of battery life

Came across this article which seems rather interesting. What do you think ATS will our mobile and other electronic devices one day soon be powered in such a manner?
edit on 25-8-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Fantastic!

That means that at some time in the future, smart devices will have battery lives on a par with dumbphones! I used to get a week and a half, to two weeks out of my old phone. The one I have now, I had to get a 16,000 mAh charger unit so that I could take it to a rock festival and still use it, otherwise it would have been dead within the first twenty four hours!

Personally, I am thinking of getting a flexible solar panel cut to size, to stitch onto the shoulders of my jacket, so that I can recharge my phone on the go, and replenish the charger battery unit as well. But if this technology comes on stream, I may not have to!

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I have the same problem with my own smartphone, long gone are the days when my Motorola C520 battery charge used to last a week. You would probably be better served with a Kinetic charger if you are on the move all the time rather than solar powered variant given the fact that this in after all the UK.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Well, thats true, although kinetic systems are harder to maintain.

And I am fairly sure that solar cells are available which even charge your devices through cloud!

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

You will need to be outside through with solar, suppose there are pros and cons for any type of power generation system.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
The one I have now, I had to get a 16,000 mAh charger unit so that I could take it to a rock festival and still use it, otherwise it would have been dead within the first twenty four hours!

Oh, don't even get me started on the pain of being a Download fest with a dying phone, the seemingly endless hunt for someone with a charger. Of course, now I have one of those power packs people come to me instead and I now know how utterly annoying I was when I was unprepared lol

Anything that makes the life of an iPhone longer should be investigated, although solar chargers on the shoulders is too much of a fashion statement for me.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Thats the beauty of solar for me. I work on peoples locks and doors, and that often involves being outside, or in and around the entrance to a property.

And in my personal life, I much prefer to walk than catch the bus, and spend a significant amount of my time ambulating from my home, to town, which is a good three mile stretch.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Interesting...

there is also this option.

what will conquer the market first? my money is on the latter.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I thought the Terminator ran on hydrogen fuel cells also

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Check out Robert murray-smith (include hyphen) on youtube and his involvement with Sunvault and the super capacitor he's developed

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I think the proton exchange membrane is a graphene product. I had read that one of the properties of a single atom thick graphene carbon matrix was that it had the specific property of being able to propagate subatomic particles in single file.
Anyone know anything about that?
edit on 26-8-2015 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

A single atom thick layer of Graphene definitely does have interesting properties.
Lots of cool things start happening with orbital configurations, magnetics, etc.

I think what you're talking about is Graphene's ability to reduce 'intervalley scattering' of particles?

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Dude, every true festival goer knows you take a 3310 tied to your belt! For photos take a cheap point and shoot.

Solfest festival for me this weekend, I charged my 3310 up in January for it! (lol)

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
So like another poster said soon we will be back to where we once where with our old style flip phones or even the Nokia. Shame to have all that technology and sometimes only get 3-8 hours usage out of it depending on what's on or what we may be doing.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

You really had me there for a minute. I thought you were going to say it would hold charge for 3 months.

Heres something to ponder. Is the fact that I phones dont hold their charge by design so when TSHTF they can be confident that no ones phone will last more than a 7-10 days?

I brought my first mobile phone in 199? and it held charge for about a week. Why has battery life never increased since then? is this deliberate.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
I brought my first mobile phone in 199? and it held charge for about a week. Why has battery life never increased since then? is this deliberate.

Mostly because at the time, they had little 8 bit processors that had to strain at playing "snake" in text mode.

Now you've got quad core processors with GPUs running over a GHz. And Bluetooth radios, and GPS, and compasses, and NFC, and touch screens and every little bit of it uses some power, so that it takes quite a capable battery to run all of that for a couple of days.

I'm amazed they can get what they do out of it.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RubiNet

Yes, the ability to propagate the protons across the membrane without scattering means real efficiency.
They are not publishing the details, but I think that this makes for a very efficient fuel cell. It is still total conjecture on my part, but it is fun trying to make an educated guess.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The second that you assume that you know, that’s when you’ve lost your advantage as a startup,” he says. “The only advantage of a startup is that you don’t have to get it right.”For most entrepreneurs taking a company public would be enough of an accomplishment for one year but not for Cameron Chell. When it comes to Trace, as with several earlier projects, it all started with a “what if,” Chell says. “What if we could create a platform where everyone is relevant?”

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Compare your phone from 1997 to your phone now.

Spot the difference in power and capabilities.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Well, my 1970s flashlight delivers only 2 hours of light.

Seriously, I do look forward to cleaner power and better sources of power and improved battery technology. I hope the Google fuel cell works well. 25 Major companies are testing it.

Bloom Energy site.

Wikipedia entry. " that can use a wide variety of inputs (including liquid or gaseous hydrocarbons[1] produced from biological sources) to generate electricity on the site where it will be used.". So like, methane from animal or human waste maybe.

new topics

top topics

join