It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweeping generalizations and the lack of difference between this and stereotyped bigotry.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I have a lot of respect for the ATS Community. And unfortunately, it occasionally takes a bit of cognitive dissonance on my part to maintain it. I like to read and contribute to a variety of threads on this site. From science, to history, to politics, to social issues, to Skunkworks. But a serious problem I frequently encounter is the complete lack of contributors to even consider the possibility that someone can have ideas which conflict with their own, yet still be a good or open-minded person. Of course, this is sadly the norm in any 9/ll, Apollo Missions, or EU thread (and NO, I don't want to discuss these topics here! I am merely citing examples. Nothing more!!!)
But it seems to be an increasing trend in threads regarding social philosophy, as well. And that really gets to me. This is a time in our society when we need nothing, not a single thing, more than we need free and open discussion of important issues. And if some of us, regardless of which side of any given issue we stand on, simply don't have the ability to see the other side of the issue, we should all be trying to help them do so. Maybe it won't change their mind, but labeling anyone who doesn't agree with a point of view as closed-minded, or backwards, or a bigot, simply doesn't help anything. It simply makes them retreat further behind the walls they've built up around their own understanding.
Please, can we stop throwing around hateful labels, and start trying to productively share information, so that we may actually contribute to the growth of our society as a whole?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Does life imitate art or does art imitate life?
This site being the art, in a sense.

The whole world is collapsing for everything you just wrote, as we speak.

edit on 8/24/2015 by AnteBellum because: spelling

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

There is art on this site, but this site is not art.
And the world is not yet collapsing. There yet exists hope. But we, as the ones who wish to keep it alive, must redouble our efforts to help it thrive.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Not only an idiocratic demographic presently waxing, but a huge influx of paid Muppets, who's sole purpose us to obfuscate, confusion, and derail ideas not supported by the status quo. This isn't a surprise when reaching critical mass.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: trifecta

Interesting point, but I wonder how much is actually 'paid', versus blind loyalty to a belief. I would honestly be surprised if payments really equated much into the issue at all.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: AnteBellum

There is art on this site, but this site is not art.
And the world is not yet collapsing. There yet exists hope. But we, as the ones who wish to keep it alive, must redouble our efforts to help it thrive.

You can hope a building doesn't collapse on you while sleeping, but when it collapses, hope is a weightless beam.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Interesting point, but I wonder how much is actually 'paid', versus blind loyalty to a belief. I would honestly be surprised if payments really equated much into the issue at all.

Here just a quick link to elaborate further on the paid issue:

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: iDope

If hope is truly lost, and the world is truly headed for dire ends, why bother contributing?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Ok, that's definitely a good video. Though I don't see how it has any direct relevance to ATS. Though I am certainly a fan of this site, I fail to see where it has sway enough with any particular segment of society to warrant capital expenditure to sway members' opinions.
edit on 24-8-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

the irony is that if your thread was generalizing an entire race with stereotypes, or if you were demanding your rights to hate a particular group of people be observed and respected, or if your thread was about how right your views are vs X people's view, you would be showered with stars and flags...

if not the internet, where else can people safely be bigots, idiots, ignorant, solve society's problems in 3 easy steps, belittle, marginalize, know everything, point the virtual finger all in one thread while enjoying a lovely cup of tea on a sunday after they've come from church ??

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

If I cared about stars and flags, I'd have quit visiting this site long ago. It's "Deny Ignorance", not "Win The Frigging Popularity Contest".
And while I'm well familiar with the Internet Hate Machine, this is one of the few good sites where it seems to have not taken very firm roots yet. So I try to do my damn best to help it stay good.
edit on 24-8-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Ok, that's definitely a good video. Though I don't see how it has any direct relevance to ATS. Though I am certainly a fan of this site, I fail to see where it has sway enough with any particular segment of society to warrant capital expenditure to sway members' opinions.

I'm guessing it would be determined by the value of the target users and there sphere of influence. ATS could be a lucrative honeypot for exactly that kind of agenda. When you have money to burn, these incurred cost are a pitance.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Well, sure, but what exact sphere of influence are you wielding on this site? It's not like everyone here is of the same political, socioeconomic or educational ilk.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

The money would be better spent on media matters, or redstate, or whatever. Bang for the buck, and all.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The money would be better spent on media matters, or redstate, or whatever. Bang for the buck, and all.

ATS is media.

Progressive free thinkers don't gate cable TV news or print. They opt into alternative news sites from the Internet, with less obstruction, spin, and paid interests to sully truth. Why do you think the governance is so hellbent on legistaling "Net Neutrality" and going on witchhunts for any entrepreneur tiptoeing into the realm of electronic tonic privacy? It's all about censorship and deception.

There's bars at the entrance to Plato's Cave.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

To clarify, yes, media in general is a target, but you go for the big fish first. And not everyone here is progressive. There's plenty from all points of view. Which makes disinformation here a much harder target than distinctly right or left sites.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

If hope is truly lost, and the world is truly headed for dire ends, why bother contributing?

Hope isn't lost, it is merely a facade, a wish. it is what gets you out of bed and hopes for a better tomorrow, but when tomorrow is always the same you begin to los hope and jsut wake up for stability.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

If you are willing to live a life where you are content leaving your fate in the hands of others, then I suppose stability is all you can ask for. I don't think I personally could ever settle for that.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
On a side note, since society in general has had great success in making certain terms taboo lately, can we start a push to remove 'swag' from the current lexicon?

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

We are at war with entropy.

No wonder things are looking grim!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join