It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2,480-year-old papyrus reveals rights of women during the Old Kingdom .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Spider879

It should be noted that women in the pre-Columbian Americas weren't overly discriminated against. At least not to my knowledge.

You know I haven't really looked into it but I'd have to go culture by culture I know of a doc a few years ago called the red Queen who was Mayan but she was off course of the elite I am not sure how the ordinary females fared, but first contacts didn't report any drastic unfairness or oppression as far as I know ..but this deserved further looking into.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Well I know that Ben Franklin SPECIFICALLY wrote about the natives the English were encountering, but they aren't pre-Columbian. But he remarked how the natives were more civilized than the English. One of the reasons being that the women held equal rank as the men.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well I know that Ben Franklin SPECIFICALLY wrote about the natives the English were encountering, but they aren't pre-Columbian. But he remarked how the natives were more civilized than the English. One of the reasons being that the women held equal rank as the men.

I can take a guess maybe that attitude goes beyond pre-contact after all they certainly didn't acquire it from the first settlers.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Yea, that's what I was getting at.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Old Kingdom of Egypt - 2686 - 2118 BC
en.wikipedia.org...

4,133 years ago. I think the title of this thread is in need of revision

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost
Old Kingdom of Egypt - 2686 - 2118 BC
en.wikipedia.org...

4,133 years ago. I think the title of this thread is in need of revision

the claim that its Old kingdom is wrong, the picture at the original link states

This ancient Egyptian annuity contract was signed in 365 BCE. This image shows half of its huge, 8ft length

it was written in Demotic, which originated around 700BCE

edit on 25-8-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
Well I can see if they build a life together raised kids and things like that how that would be fair, after all a woman would have a harder time starting over especially if she past her prime than a man would..but that 8ft prenup though..

The script takes a lot of space to say anything. (Sort of like Entish.
)

They didn't do fine print.

Harte

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Females have been hedging their bets since long before they were homo sapiens.

Female animals seek the strongest mate to better ensure the progeny's survival. A homo sapien societal extension of this primordial trait are women who look for well-established, successful partners who, irrespective of looks or personality, can offer $ecurity. From there, laws (marriage, pre-nuptials, child support, alimonies) contract the male partner to be financially liable for the female, thereby completing the cycle which mirrors what the animal kingdom has epigenetically passed down to our species since its inception.

' When poverty comes in the door, love jumps out the w indow. '

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Good luck bro.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Egypt is a bastion of women's rights today....
The first thing I think of is women's rights when I think of Muslim brotherhood countries....
Women and homosexuals have an AWESOME life in the islamo-fascist world....

Great post regarding Christianity.....as someone whose wife is an American trained MD I am really glad she overcame the horrible Christians to attain such a thing....if only she had been born in Somalia, Iran or Egypt where the Muslims could have really propped her up....they are so much better than the myssoginist christians....
I'm sure my gay sibling would be president of Egypt had we grown up there since we all know how well homosexuals are treated by Islamists...sadly my gay sibling only attained a law degree at the hands of the horrible Christian Americans...

-Christoosterone

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

The first thing I think of is women's rights when I think of Muslim brotherhood countries....

Great post regarding Christianity.....as someone whose wife is an American trained MD I am really glad she overcame the horrible Christians to attain such a thing....if only she had been born in Somalia, Iran or Egypt where the Muslims could have really propped her up....they are so much better than the myssoginist christians....
I'm sure my gay sibling would be president of Egypt had we grown up there since we all know how well homosexuals are treated by Islamists...sadly my gay sibling only attained a law degree at the hands of the horrible Christian Americans...

-Christoosterone

It's not about today it is about 300,000 yesterdays well before the desert religions aka Abrahamic faiths Judaism, Christianity and Islam took over .

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

-Christoosterone

It's not about today it is about 300,000 yesterdays well before the desert religions aka Abrahamic faiths Judaism, Christianity and Islam took over .

300,000 yesterdays is well short of one thousand years ago. That might predate Mohammed, but not Moses.

Harte

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

-Christoosterone

300,000 yesterdays is well short of one thousand years ago. That might predate Mohammed, but not Moses.

Harte

Maths!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Maths!

IIRC Harte is employed as some sort of expert mathematician, trust him to spot that one

edit on 8-9-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk

Maths!

IIRC Harte is employed as some sort of expert mathematician, trust him to spot that one

Yeah, well, it doesn't even predate Mohammed, so I'm not that dern sharp.

And dude, I teach High School.

Harte

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

That's what I said

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk

That's what I said

I'm branching out into Physics. No state-mandated standardized test there that my job depends on the results of.

Harte

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It appears that societies that have great wealth and power trickle it down to all, including women. Then those societies that depend on each other for survival, again, everyone is considered equal and valuable (even though our Western societies are taking way too long).

utopianist.com...
edit on 8-9-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join