It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geothermal Unsustainable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I've only just come across this so I haven't had time to investigate.
grapevine.is...

A geologist and a physicist say that some geothermal regions in southwest Iceland are being overused, rendering the practice ultimately unsustainable.

Gunnlaugur H. Jónsson, a professor of physics and a former employee of the National Energy Authority, told RÚV that two areas – Hengilssvæðið and Reykjanesskagann – are being overused for geothermal power. The search for new high-pressure vents has prompted the drilling of a new vent once a year. At this rate, the resource is rendered unsustainable.

Geologist Stefán Arnórsson agrees, adding that the pressure coming out of the vents has been steadily decreasing. Part of the problem has been planning, in that large power plants were built first in the area, instead of employing the more sustainable practice of building small power plants first, and building up from there.

Stefán recommends that using the geothermal energy in the area should put providing hot water for heating homes over creating electricity.

“It cannot be forgotten that geothermal energy is not a renewable energy source in any sense,” he said. “It is finite.”

Geothermal in the UK is a fraud feeding research grant junkies on the back of misrepresented possibilities. The Eden Project geothermal scheme will fail when the water runs out the bottom, as it did in the original attempt a short distance away. Then the grant junkies will smirk and waltz off on an 'eco holiday'.

It doesn't surprise me to hear one of the best places in the world for geothermal is not really good enough.

You're being told 'renewables' can replace oil/gas/coal/nuclear. They can't. We're just going to have to use less. Much less.

Personally I favour rocket mass heaters run on locally grown fuel.

Emotions run high in the energy debate.

Let battle commence!

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
People I know w with geothermal central heating find it OK, they need to top up a bit on really cold days but it does seem to work. My issues with most of these systems is that they are only really for millionaires and the people who should be benefitting from them can't. Solar panels linked to a Tesla power wall charging a model S springs to mind.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
There are numerous misconceptions being presented in these "debates", often rendering them nothing more than pro-fossil fuel propaganda.

First of all, energy use is being tackled and is being reduced in various ways, whether that's millions of new iPhones managing their power more efficiently or schemes to encourage people to use less in their homes on lighting, heating and hot water. Ultimately, we will see a massive reduction in energy use when we finally push ahead with waste mitigation schemes which could revolutionize the way we consume energy, including switching from commuting to local hubs and working from home.

Secondly, renewable energy sources are not a singular method, there are many all contributing to the whole.

Thirdly, there are currently numerous technological advancements being made in both energy collection and storage, making renewable energy the best option for the future of our societies. Once we have this receiving the funding it needs we will see massive leaps forward. Several companies are on the cusp of delivering the most advanced methods of energy collection, storage and delivery we have ever seen, some of them are likely to be game-changers.

The belief that this is all a "waste of time and money" is something often put out there by the pro-fossil fuel propagandist, when in reality those people you imagine have "robbed us" with their grants have actually provided clean energy and advanced the process during that time too.

Personally, I find the insistence that we stick to fossil fuels a fraudulent effort, a waste of time, and a waste of money. We already know about the alternatives, we already know the damage fossil fuels do, there is absolutely no reason the Human race should throw away everything we've done regarding renewable energy just because the fossil fuel crowd are hurting and no longer raking in billions of $'s while poisoning our societies.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

That would be the shallow geothermal that is technically solar utilising the latent solar energy trapped in the top 100 metres or so of the earths crust.

People I know in the UK who have experience of ground source heat pumps would gladly go back in time and save thousands of pounds while avoiding the nightmare effects of these Heath Robinson systems.

Not green by any means but solar panels and electricity storage will get you off grid.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Just to make my position clear to you, I've been offered a "bullet in the head" by the oil industry for exposing the cracks in the Ninian Central. The nuclear industry check my online activity every few hours because I probe their defences and expose some of their little idiosyncrasies. Those are some of my credentials in the energy debate.

On the cusp sounds great. That means they'll deliver soon, unless it's like all the other times.

Are you familiar with rocket mass heaters?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester
Thanks for the information about Iceland's geothermal, but isn't their geothermal very different from what is found almost everywhere else. There, the closeness of hot magma to the surface allows them access to a large supply of thermal energy, so they can run power plants from it. It other places, all you get is the constant temperature of the deeper ground, and it allows you to do air conditioning with a heat pump instead of burning fuel (well, you need to keep the pump going).

I don't think the Iceland example is a good indicator of the long-term success of ordinary geothermal. I have an acquaintance who has had it for a decade and it still cools his house for a lot less than my AC costs.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
One has to admire your persistence.

Geothermal Unsustainable
Fragile Earth authored on Aug, 23 2015

Geothermal Fraud UK
Fragile Earth authored on Jul, 10 2015

A Legacy Set In Stone, UK Nuclear
Fragile Earth authored on Jun, 12 2015

Chinese Nuclear Reactor.... In Essex
Fragile Earth authored on Jun, 11 2015

Geothermal, Let's Get Real
Fragile Earth authored on May, 24 2015

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: StanFL

Nuclear in Cornwall and central Australia for deep geothermal. That is granite and radioactive decay. Plus fracking to link the holes.

I think your acquaintance has a ground source heat pump which is technically solar. Good to hear it's working. Some do.

The pumps for GSHP use plenty of electric from the grid.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Pirvonen

I write now and then.

What I'm really interested in is denying ignorance, and, perhaps more painfully, having my own ignorance denied.

UK geothermal is a scam. UK ground source heat pumps have enriched many fraudsters.

Rocket mass heaters can be built by the owner using largely local or recycled materials. Fuel is easily found locally and a small tree planting effort will keep your family warm and ensure carbon neutrality. But where is the opportunity for profit? That's why you haven't been exposed to the information you need.

edit on 23 8 2015 by Kester because: get your sentences straight you fool

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It seems that man consistantly abuses resources which leads to problems. This power source could provide sustainable energy but over harvesting of power can lead to a complete loss of abilities to gain from it.

We will never learn it seems. This probably was predicted but ignored.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Like the recent plane crash at the air show. Predicted by the college that insisted shows were not carried out when students were present. The plane crashed by the college. And the apologists are telling us it's a massively unlikely occurrence.

Predicted and ignored.

top topics

join