It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing Donnie Yen...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Hi there,

I thought I'd get a thread going dedicated to the famous Hong Kong Action Star: Donnie Yen.

For those that don't know who Donnie Yen is, he is a martial artist and an actor/director/producer. He starred in movies such as Ip Man 1, 2 & upcoming 3. Dragon (Wu Xia), Flashpoint, Killzone, and most recently, Kung Fu Killer (Kung Fu Jungle). Basically, if you've only seen movies from Jackie Chan or Jet Li in the past, you've been missing out big time.

Loved him very much as an action star, from a very early era, like the Mismatched Couples (1985).

He is the most awesome fight choreographer, along side of Yuen Woo-ping and Sammo Hung.

Here below, is a list of a few fight scenes which I think was pretty epic:

Kill Zone (Sha Po Lang) 2005

Flash Point (2007)

Ip Man (2008)

The Lost Bladesman (2011)

Dragon/Wu Xia (2011)

Kung Fu Jungle/Kung Fu Killer (2014)

He is one bad mofo and a very nice man in real life. Speaks fluent English, way better than Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

Extremely underrated actor, but recently cast into Star Wars: Rogue One.

Anyhow, hope you all enjoy

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

I've always liked Donnie Yen ever since Iron Monkey. Kinda sad because he is kinda the last kinda famous international kung fu star

cj6

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
He was awesome in Blade 2

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
He was awesome in Blade 2

He certainly was!

I forgot what his name was, like Snow or something and he was mute in there.

I was almost blown away to find out recently that he got cast in Star Wars: Rogue One.

I mean, he's the missing piece of the puzzle, in almost all Star Wars films. Imagine if Donnie can incorporate some of the fighting techniques and choreography from his Asian films into the Star Wars Universe, it is going to be wicked.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I've always liked Donnie Yen ever since Iron Monkey. Kinda sad because he is kinda the last kinda famous international kung fu star

Loved Iron Monkey, and yes, sadly he is probably the last surviving Kung Fu Action mega star of the East. There's just no one new on the horizon, it's really sad.

cj6

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yup he was Snowman
he shouldn't have died so quickly though. He's gonna kill it in Star Wars for sure, I just hope they let him actually talk and I kinda want him to be on the dark side cuz he's a bad A S S

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
love Donny yens work.

his wing chun and tai chi are great. plus uve heard hes a nice guy too.

as far as up in comers. Iko iwas and cecep Raman .

Cecep is literally the real deal. not an actor just a real bad ass martial artist.

oh yeah and they've both been cast by jj Abrams to be bad guys in the new star wars movie

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Yep, the raid 2 is the only movie I saw in the cinema where I immediately went back and watched it again. Greatest martial arts action flick of all time by a long way.

I really liked how Yen evolved his style in flashpoint to incorporate more MMA stuff but he's always been great at bringing different fighting styles to movies where others tend to focus on only one or two. He's a very well rounded martial artist that's continually growing and adapting.

top topics

join