It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran and UK to reopen embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
For the first time in 14 years , UK's Foreign Secretary takes a trip to Iran in order to discuss bilateral ties and reopening of the embassies in Tehran and London .

I hope this opens a new chapter for both of the countries as some business leaders accompany philip hammond .

UK previously redefined what she called a "Trip warning" to Iran and removed that warning as a sign of goodwill (not that it was fair or anything
)

www.presstv.ir...

The source said on Thursday that the reopening will take place during a visit by UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond to Tehran on Sunday.

The reopening of the embassy is seen as the biggest shift in the West's policies toward Iran following the nuclear conclusion between Tehran and the P5+1 group of countries - the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany - on July 14.

Hammond will be Britain’s first top diplomat to visit the Iranian capital in nearly 14 years. He will reportedly be accompanied on his trip by a number of business leaders.

According to the British media, the Iranian embassy in London will be reopened at the same time. The reports say a new British ambassador has already been chosen but not announced officially.

Iran and Britain severed their diplomatic ties in November 2011. The British embassy was closed after hundreds of Iranian university students staged a protest, pulling down the UK flag and demanding the expulsion of the British ambassador.

Following the incident, Britain announced not only the withdrawal of its diplomatic staff from Tehran but also the closure of the Iranian embassy in London.

In October 2013, Iran and Britain agreed to appoint non-resident chargés d’affaires as a first step toward resuming diplomatic ties.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: haman10

Can only be a good thing.
Heck my Disney Princess at work is Iranian and after looking at her photos It may be a decent holiday destination.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Didn't they raise the Union Jack at that embassy a week ago?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Don't do it Iran, you know what happened the last time you let western influence inside you country with "diplomatic pouches".

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Unlikely - the Union Jack is only flown from ships

Anyhoo - I only saw this on the news yesterday, I didn't hear about it a week ago but sometimes there is a "lag" between a practical opening and an "official" opening - maybe that is what this is?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The UK had an embassy there until 2011 and only closed it due to the Iranians "allowing" "students" to storm the building, leading to it's closure and a cooling of relations.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

The UK had an embassy there until 2011 and only closed it due to the Iranians "allowing" "students" to storm the building, leading to it's closure and a cooling of relations.

I thought the Iranians were pissed about being under the boot heel of the western puppet Shah for all those years?

Oh, and the US aided Iraq when it used Sarin and mustard gas in the Iraq, Iran war.

But than thats the complaint about Iran isn't it, that they will use WMD on the West or Israel?

Article

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Relations have been on and off since the Revolution

The Islamic Republic

In Embassy in London was overtaken by six-man terrorist team held the building for six days until the hostages were rescued by a raid by the SAS. After the Revolution of Iran in 1979, Britain suspended all diplomatic relations with Iran. Britain did not have an embassy until it was reopened in 1988.

During the Iran–Iraq war, Saddam Hussein acquired metal tubes from firms in the United Kingdom, intended for the Project Babylon supergun. All were intercepted by customs and excise and none ever reached Iraq. The suppliers were under the impression that their tubes would have been used in a pipeline project.

A year after the re-establishment of the British embassy in Tehran, Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa ordering Muslims across the world to kill British author Salman Rushdie. Diplomatic ties with London were broken off only to be resumed at a chargé d'affaires level in 1990.

Relations normalised in 1998 during President Mohammad Khatami's reformist administration, and Jack Straw became the first high ranking British politician to visit Tehran in 2001 since the revolution.

Relations suffered a setback in 2002 when David Reddaway was rejected by Tehran as London's ambassador, on charges of being a spy, and further deteriorated when Iran seized eight British sailors in Arvand River near the border with Iraq. The sailors were pardoned and attended a goodbye ceremony with president Ahmadinejad shortly after they were released.

Linky

As for any claims about Iran, the UK has never been that inclined to make such grandiose claims as the Yanks do - the UK's main concern is Iran's sponsorship of terror groups and the possible proliferation of dangerous weapons to those groups. I don't remember any UK politician claiming that Iran itself was a threat to the West directly, just it's activities with dubious groups.

Historically, we've had good relations with Iran and even since the revolution, have always sought to repair any damaged relations.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

the UK's main concern is Iran's sponsorship of terror groups and the possible proliferation of dangerous weapons to those groups.

I'm sure the UK 'terror bombings' of other countries in the region are as scary to Iran. Scarier.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The only thing I'd like to see is peace.

2nd.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Such as?

And how does that "terror bombing" compare to the actions of your beloved Russia? Far more dead in Chechnya than either Iraq or Afghanistan combined...

People in glass houses and all that... But all of this is, of course, off topic...

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Such as?

And how does that "terror bombing" compare to the actions of your beloved Russia? Far more dead in Chechnya than either Iraq or Afghanistan combined...

People in glass houses and all that... But all of this is, of course, off topic…

I'm not Russian.

How much money does the UK spend on bombing the Middle East?

That terror bombing.

Somebody said, the only reason the US hasn't been invaded yet is because they don't have an American embassy there. US, UK; same difference, both members of NATO.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yeah, I know you're not, but you are a vocal supporter of them and that is evident from around ATS. It is also why you have the view you do of the West/NATO.

In answer to your question though, not that much. We only have a squadron of Tornado's in theatre at this time and they have only carried out a limited number of sorties. If you're talking historically, bombing is the cheap bit. It's the ground troops that cost the money....

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Unlikely - the Union Jack is only flown from ships

Eh! then do you mean a big boat like this, HMS Stormont

edit on 21-8-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Yeah, I know you're not, but you are a vocal supporter of them and that is evident from around ATS. It is also why you have the view you do of the West/NATO.

Now drag it in the ditch.

I'm anti war, not Pro Russian, like proponents of NATO call every body that disagrees with the official line.

Good thing ATS allow other than just that opinion.

In answer to your question though, not that much. We only have a squadron of Tornado's in theatre at this time and they have only carried out a limited number of sorties.

Just "not that much" tons of bombs… here and there… lol.

Down playing the real aggression and blaming the victims for whats being done to them.

Leaving out Libya, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Iraq (times 3) and now Syria…

Anti War blog

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Dragging us back to the OP.

This is welcome news. The deal on Iran's nuclear ambitions will see a warming of relations with sanctions being lifted. Hopefully the West can start to normalise relations. Who knows - shock horror - there may even be a warming with the US!

new topics

top topics

join