It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaping...errr whatever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Three years ago I 'quit' smoking (cigarettes). I'd tried all manner of cessation aids and all of them made me worse off. Okay, before anyone dumps on me, my willpower to just quit wasn't working...sorry, but it wasn't.

I tried Chantix, I tried some other drug from my doc, I tried the gum...I tried the patches (those were the worst!). With Chantix, I didn't feel like smoking, but I also didn't feel like getting up for work or giving a snit about anything else in my life. The patches left huge welts on my body which took weeks to go away (each of them). The other drug, which I don't remember the name of, just made me want to consume the grey matter of anyone near me (not a good thing) (that one was out pretty quick).

About then a friend told me about e-cigs. I got a small kit out of the UK and it worked surprisingly well. As time passed I smoked less and less. Fast forward 24 months (almost exactly). I really didn't care about 'smoking' (e-cig or otherwise) so much anymore, but sometimes a nice smoke "hit" with a beer was nice. The e-cig was great for this. Just knowing I had it in my pocket or whatever was enough, I didn't "need" it.

Within two months or so after starting with my e-cig my lungs had cleared up amazingly. I could BREATH!! And food tasted so much better too. It was wonderful. Though, I never fully "quit", I still had the e-cig.

In May of last year I lost my Dad, and then in August I lost my best friend...and then in October my personal world imploded. By December I was like, "who flippin' cares!", and I started smoking again. Yes, it was weak, but I really didn't give a flying foo-fah about much of anything and smoking was the least of my worries! (ATS haters, you can call me weak here if that blows your dress up).

July rolled around and I was right back into the 3/4th pack a day habit with cigarettes, buying cartons and the whole bit. I was busy back hacking and coughing, sucking for air out hiking the hills with the livestock. It pretty much sucked! So I decided to try again...

This time I looked into more serious e-cig options, because this really helped me the first time. I went to a couple amateur places, but then I found a place where I could go and get some really good info. From there I got into some fairly technical "vaping" gear (sub-ohm 'mod' stuff). This stuff is much more sophisticated and much better. With my very first e-cig I was using 24mg e-liquid (and still wanting higher...like 36mg!!
). When I went to the sub-ohm stuff they said to cut the nicotine in half at a minimum. So I went from 24 to 12.

I quickly found out 12 was WAY too strong, so I went to 6mg. Shortly thereafter even that was too strong, so I went down to 6mg. Even that was too strong, so then I cut everything down to 3mg. This seems to be perfect.

I'm stunned by the improvements in this technology over just the past year. I'm pretty sure I can probably continue to decrease down to zero at some point. Then it's just a matter of getting rid of the hand to mouth thing and all those other hang ups, but in the mean time this is really enjoyable....and I just thought I would share my experience.

Any other 'vapers' out there?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I was at a pack a day habit before I had to move in with my parents to help them out after both were sick or injured. I had to wait on them hand and foot while raising my son. They hate smoking, my father smoked cigars for several years and used to chew, but he had throat cancer and is totally against any type of smoke. He is also a firefighter and knows the danger of carcinogens. So when I moved in, I had to ditch the smoking. As you know this is hard from going from a pack a day to nothing at all. I never tried any other cessation patch or drug, but I did go straight to vaping, since I noticed my brother was having success with it. I'm still not off of vaping, and haven't gotten into all of the mods and such, really pinching pennies so I go for the highest mg of nicotine and try to use it the least amount as possible.

But yes, vaping has allowed me to go jogging again, taste food again, etc. Plus it is much cheaper. I could spend easily 70 bucks a month smoking, now I spend 20-30 a month vaping and feel better. And no it is not a placebo effect. I just wish I could buy marijuana legally so I can stop drinking. There is no harm in edibles, no smoke or anything so I don't see any danger (off topic but true).

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Man my juice is 12mg and I don't find it strong enough. I burn thru wicks too but I have a self made 2000ma power source that batteries just cannot compete with. Good for out and about but I like plumes..

I Vape mostly for the awesome taste really... But I'd need a nic hit. Or I would sniff cordial lol
edit on 20-8-2015 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
ex smoker here, vaped a year + now

Once in a while I would love a smoke ( after an argument or a great meal or ... )
I haven't caved yet into picking one up.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I will have been off cigarettes and vaping 3 years in October. I started at 32 mg and am at 16mg. I got a 50w iStick about a month ago and just got a 30w iStick, was on sale. I use either an aerotank or a smok for the tank.

I normally buy cola flavor or dutch apple pie.

This has saved me so much money, my breathing is normal and so many things taste better. I even notice that my house smells good.

At the price cigarettes are now, I would have been spending $200 a month, only slightly less if I was buying cartons at the rez, the prices went up there too. I'm spending about $40 a month in ecig juice and buying the occasional new battery.

Eventually I hope to be at 0mg. And yes..the tech gets better and the prices get lower. I got the 50w iStick for $39 online, I think they started at about $60.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I will have been off cigarettes and vaping 3 years in October. I started at 32 mg and am at 16mg. I got a 50w iStick about a month ago and just got a 30w iStick, was on sale. I use either an aerotank or a smok for the tank.

I normally buy cola flavor or dutch apple pie.

This has saved me so much money, my breathing is normal and so many things taste better. I even notice that my house smells good.

At the price cigarettes are now, I would have been spending $200 a month, only slightly less if I was buying cartons at the rez, the prices went up there too. I'm spending about $40 a month in ecig juice and buying the occasional new battery.

Eventually I hope to be at 0mg. And yes..the tech gets better and the prices get lower. I got the 50w iStick for $39 online, I think they started at about $60.

Cola !!! Oo I'm using some red bull atm a mate gave me.. the other juice I have is coffee jalapeño. haha, tastes nothing like either.

his missus though has this almost sour candy flavoured stuff, it's mouth watering, and delicious and I think I'd crave that alone if there was no nicotine in it. Just so relaxing to sit back and vape...

this is why it's a problem. the Tobacco industry has a source of competition that is not on the other side of the street, aka, big pharma that will sell you patches, gum and when you're dying, profit from the rest of your life.

Seriously, why are we still letting corporations control us like this?

really is a prison planet.. I am in the head office. Australia.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I used to be a smoker too. I became curious about the whole e-cig thing a few months ago, so I got a starter kit and tried it. I was pleasantly surprised. I know all about what cigarette addiction feels like, and what's interesting is that when I started using the e-cigs, the withdrawal and cravings immediately stopped. I quit smoking normal cigarettes just like that and haven't had one since. My lungs feel perfectly healthy now too, and I can breathe way better since I started vaping instead of smoking.
Seriously guys, a little water vapor is way healthier than cyanide and carbon monoxide and rat poison and whatever other hundreds of harmful chemicals are in cigarette tobacco.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
HELL YEAH OP!!! Good for you for quitting. I am a proud vaper of 4 years now! I just recently started with mods as well. What kind of rig do you have?

Mine currently is the IPV4 with an Atlantis tank and nickel coil. I've been really liking the fruity liquids (go figure) but I really wanna try some of the new cereal and dessert flavors.

Also congrats everyone else for quitting (or even just reducing) smoking!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I have a ITaste vv that I use all the time. I got it at a shop in town that has a good selection of equipment. They do their own juices and will do a custom mix if you ask. The guy did "Fruit Salad" for me with apple, banana, orange and cream.

Great place.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I have been smoking for 38 years and had reached between 2.5 - 3 packs a day. I never really wanted to quit. I liked smoking, obviously. But I felt I needed to quit, badly. But I have zero willpower. So I decided a few weeks in advance that I would quit on July 1st and switch to vaping. Got my head in the right place, ordered my juice and when 7/1 arrived, I quit. Just like that. I switched to vaping and have not smoked a single cigarette since. I figured it would be hard, but it was not at all. My son decided to vape too while in my presence, so he wouldn't be tempting me, and without really planning at all, he has quit too. He got to where he woke up craving his favorite juice and realized he no longer even wanted to smoke.

We started out at 18 mg nicotine, and quickly switched to 11 mg... 70 PG/30 VG. I have never craved a cigarette. But I crave particular flavors of juice at different times. I plan to move down to 6 mg nic with my next order, and eventually zero, at which point I will cut back on the vaping habit all together.

Vaping has been the perfect tool for quitting. You still have the hand to mouth thing, and something else to focus on. There is every flavor in the world imaginable to choose from, and after trying out many, I have ended up with blueberry cheesecake and mocha nut java as my favorite go-to flavors. What's not to love about that? We have a nice variety of flavors and can mix up our own creations too. It's actually kind of fun. My house no longer smells awful, my clothes and hair smell good, I can breathe, no more coughing at night, and we save a ton of cash! It also is worth mentioning that if you are vaping cheesecake, you are less inclined to be snacking on actual junk food like many people tend to do when they quit smoking. You get a lot of pleasure from the flavors, without any calories. So its a win/win!

I was reading yesterday's thread on vaping, sprinkled with negativity. There is always going to be someone griping that its bad. But I know first hand that it has worked for me like a charm, and nothing is as bad as smoking 3 packs per day.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Any other 'vapers' out there?

Yeah, I love it. Congratulations on getting it down to a 3. I'm at a 6, but I'm not using the sub-ohm tech yet.

I really enjoy playing with tobacco flavors, and I have found a lot of success mixing e-liquids based on flavor-pairings found on molecular gastronomy websites, such as a mango/violet/menthol that I am rocking right now.

Anyhow, I don't think there is a better way to enjoy the tobacco plant, thanks for asking.

edit on 21-8-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Vaping since March here
now using a MVP3.0 30w mod with a 3800mah internal battery and the Kanger Subtank Plus running with my own coils that go anywhere 0.6-1.1 ohms. Started on 18mg liquid and slowly worked my way down to 3mg.

My next order of juice will be 100mls of 3mg and 100mls of 0nic and I will mixt them to get 1.5mg. After that I'm going for 100mls of 0nic with a view to quitting vaping too

My preferred juices are custards and I get mine from a company called "The Isle of Custard" here in the UK. They make the nicest juices I have tasted so far and they are also the cheapest I have found with 100ml coming in at around £25 delivered. Custard doughnut is simply amazing! I can highly recommend them.

24 years of smoking and never wanted to give up. But when I realized just how bad my breathing was I just had to give it a try. The difference is night and day.

Tobacco is so last century
Vaping is the future o/

Peace,
M.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: KingKelson

Mine currently is the IPV4

Be careful with that thing. Look into removing the charging board. I returned mine when it started showing the warning signs. I realize you're probably very aware but NEVER use the onboard charger. I hope you got a good one, it sucks so many are having issues.

A number of videos like this:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I myself went to a mechanical mod. Its a smok fury s and smok caterpillar 1 and 2 rda. Its a great little rig and its balls to the wall with .2 ohm coils in parallel. I make my coils from four strands of 30ga kanthal. My build gives me 88 watts of cloud making happiness.

I use 10 mg e juices, anything higher while sub ohming makes me sick. I am about ready to take the plunge into zero nic juice.

I feel my habit now is more a going through the motions kinda deal and less the stimulant.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: KingKelson

Kanger Tech Sub-Box Mini (50W) with a 0.5 ohm dual coil.

I also have a Cool Fire IV (40W) with a Joyetech tank and 1.1 ohm dual coil set up.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Just about everyone I've talked to that has started vaping says they enjoy it WAY more than cigarettes. I'm a non-smoker (always have been), so I REALLY enjoy it when smokers vape instead of smoke cigarettes.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: murlock

Juice wise, my current favorites are guava and mango (I might even try mixing them together). I like the tropical fruit flavors. Watermelon is good too. Green apple is another.

Someone else mentioned Cola flavor which sounds interesting. I might try that, though I find that some of the sweet flavors are just too sweet for me. I find the same thing will some of the dessert flavors...just a little too sweet for me. I'm also not a big fan of anything 'perfume-ey' and I see a lot of those (the ones with a name, but not a specific flavor...stuff like gangstah groove or pluto surprise, or whatever.).

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I've got a K Box and a ELeaf Melo tank. Great set up as it's adjustable from 8 to 40 watts, very good battery life and has a graduated light bar for indicating battery power. I use the Charlie Noble Admiral's Reserve "Pistachio" juice. Great line of products.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I bought one a couple days ago. It seems to be good so far, can get away with a couple of pulls when the craving kicks in but it has messed with my throat a bit. I still have the usual cigarette after meals though. Really hoping it works as I've tried everything else short of being hypnotised.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Screw you Hippys!.

I smoke baccy without a filter....The conspiracy is the filters kill you not the baccy and now they are adding allsorts to the vapor oil including EBOLA!.

Gonna have to get one arn't I? or I will be shunned even by the vapor crowd

top topics

<<   2 >>

join