It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen who killed cyclist in DUI hit-and-run sentenced to 1 year, 10 days

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Man that was both hard to read and almost compelling at the same time . It is like i know you . Peace to you and eternal peace to your loved ones lost .
edit on 20-8-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo
a reply to: MystikMushroom

At least she wasn't rich enough to use the affluenza defense.

That rich kid a while back did the same thing but killed four people. No jail time whatsoever and his wealth was literally used as a defense/justification.

Texas, my friend...that's why I hope they split from the Union. Oil rich ass clowns, thugs, and a few cool people in Austin.

Didn't know Mystik lived in the big AK. Didn't know about this story until now. Sucks, but it happens every day.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

imho... cyclists should either stay off the road, or start paying road tax.

What? Are you high? Cyclists are REQUIRED to be on the road. Not to mention, it's not like every cyclist doesn't have a car. I find this post to be very ignorant.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

They should have their own bike lanes/roads, like in the Netherlands, where people DO get high and the cyclist death rate is near non-existent.... they should also have license plates imho... i could go on! but what do i know, im an ignorant who likes to get high!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
It angers me every time someone gets behind the wheel and drives drunk. So many lives at stake including their own. I lost my entire family to a drunk driver more than 20 years ago, it will be 22 years in December of this year. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my wife and children. My daughter was only 14 months, my son was about to be 4, and my wife was only 24.

It has taken me a very long time to come to terms with their loss. A 15 year old driver who also had an attorney as a father was the responsible. He was taken to juvenile court that night but wisked away under a doctors care to another state the following morning. A Judge signed off on it to "get him the help he needs".

Of course I was angry, sad, and ready to kill but a profound peace came between me and the whole affair. Make no mistake as I was still angry and am today that the young man never answered for his actions but I couldn't see him going to jail for the rest of his life at 15 or even for a long period. What good would have come from it ? Certainly would not have brought my wife and children back and would have destroyed another family as well as many others.

I never wanted him to go scott free either but he did and I can only take comfort that he is the one who has had to live with what he did. It was hard on his family as well. Several years after I received a phone call from his father who expressed a great deal of remorse and claimed his son did as well but due to several mental breakdowns was in no position to express the remorse himself. I politely said I understood, and that profound peace again came over me as if my Son, my Daughter, and the only woman I have ever loved wished for peace to all of us.

I am not a super religious person but admit that I did find comfort in a belief in God and that he was takin care of the kids and Michelle. I still miss them and still have good days and bad, sometimes even wish revenge but it always comes o me...what good would it do ? Every one suffered enough and I was no longer willing to wallow in self pity or revenge as it just eats you away.

I am not saying that she should not be punished, and find it distasteful that the standards do not apply to everyone as many have gone to jail for less. We have a broken system but it is still the best system out there when compared to others. It should never come down to revenge or the ultimate punishment but something should be done to her as well as for her as she will suffer just as the man's family whom she killed will suffer. I would say a year in jail at that age can do a lot as far as straighten someone out but only time will tell. I have an idea the mans family was consulted on the decision and maybe they too had a profound sense of peace come over them.

Often I will find myself outside looking at the stars and have the bizarre belief that at least one of them is my little boy, daughter, and my wife looking down, and sometimes they give me a wink as if all is well. Just hope theses families find peace and a way to deal with what has befallen them, prayers for all

I really don't want to post entirely on your reply above but man.....I feel sorry for your loss! Your story caused me to get goosebumps and emotional while reading....I am glad you found your peace and you will see them again! Again, sorry you may be a bigger man than myself, although we don't know how we would react until something happened, I give you all the credit in the world!

OP, when drunk or on drugs the "juvenile" discussion should be thrown out IMO.....1 year? We wonder why our court systems are an absolute joke, they all seem to follow suit....If you have money or connections, you are just fine in this life and that is NOT how this should work!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

WHAT????

Why shouldn't cyclists be allowed on the road? Because they don't have an engine? That is just silly....Or worse

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

What? Are you high? Cyclists are REQUIRED to be on the road. Not to mention, it's not like every cyclist doesn't have a car. I find this post to be very ignorant.

Guess I could have just gone along with you had I read your post prior to responding! I agree 100%, I don't ride a bike but respect those who do to the utmost! This is absolutely ignorant...

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

Some cities DO have bike lanes, but it is no excuse to not care about someone's fate that was ran down in the road all because that town didn't have a bike lane.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Yea, I don't ride a bike either, but there is no need to be so callous to the people who do. Just because it can be irritating to be stuck behind a biker while driving your car is no need to be so damn rude to them. Car drivers don't own the road.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

It's not just that her father is an attorney -- he's not representing his daughter. He (the father) hired a local attorney that used to be a state prosecutor/attorney.

Her attorney used to work for the same "side" that is prosecuting her.

It's not a stretch to imagine he still knows former work colleagues in the DA's office (district attorney) as well as all the judges. It's much more profitable to go into private practice instead of working for the state.

I think that you shouldn't be allowed to go from public service (district attorney, county/city prosecutor) to private practice. It should be the other way around. If you work your entire career private practice, you an go can go into public service -- but that's it, once you go into public service you can no longer return to private practice.

If it worked that way, former attorneys that worked for the government couldn't use their "connections" to those still working for the justice system to "buy" their clients better deals and freedom.

As it stands right now, a lawyer can work for the city/state/local government for many years and then open up shop as a private attorney, representing the public. Using connections made while prosecuting people for the government, he/she can get better deals for his clients.

Nope, working as a lawyer for the government at any level should be the last stop and place you park yourself.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The state does have conflict of interest clauses for their employees who go into private practice, but I believe its a 1 year restriction. I disagree 100% with you on restricting public employee job mobility. If anything, him having worked as a prosecutor would make his job as a defense lawyer more difficult. His connections all want his clients behind bars!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

My girl's brother is a lawyer...

The defense attorney's and DA's strike deals all the time. The DA wants to have a good record in terms of conviction rate. Defense attorney's want to have a good reputation for their clients. The two sides work together all the time to give themselves maximum benefits.

A defense attorney may agree not to take a case to trial because the DA might loose the case -- the DA now owes the defense attorney, and may lower the charges on another case the defense attorney is working on.

So basically when hiring a lawyer, you want to find one that has good connections to the lawyers that work for the government (the prosecuting attorney's) -- because they may be owed some favors from the DA's office.

They all sit at the bar down at Simon & Seaforts and drink together during happy hour -- both sides, defense and prosecution. They work out all these back room deals way ahead of time. Just go down to the bar side anytime after 5 and watch all the suits gabbing it up.

Both sides -- defense and prosecution both help each other establish their reputations and careers. There is a lot of colluding going on to determine who gets what sentence, who's getting a plea deal, and whether or not a case even goes to trial.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
How about, instead of sending her to prison for a year, where she will probably learn nothing and may even be influenced by much more dangerous criminals, they send her to a strict rehab where she can actually recieve treatment and drug counseling and might actually change her for the better and educate her on why she was wrong. Prison seems like the last thing a drug addict needs. It's much easier to get drugs in prison. Here you go, person who is struggling with chemical dependence and is slowly loosing yourself and your reality to a toxic substance causing you to make horrible decisions, sit in this room with all these other addicts who have lost hope, and stay here for your allotted time. Getting raped and beat by the people serving longer sentences and have nothing to loose. That way, when you get out, you'll be much more psychologically damaged and broken and will probably be a repeat offender and graduate to much more violent crimes.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheepDipped
How about, instead of sending her to prison for a year, where she will probably learn nothing and may even be influenced by much more dangerous criminals, they send her to a strict rehab where she can actually recieve treatment and drug counseling and might actually change her for the better and educate her on why she was wrong. Prison seems like the last thing a drug addict needs. It's much easier to get drugs in prison. Here you go, person who is struggling with chemical dependence and is slowly loosing yourself and your reality to a toxic substance causing you to make horrible decisions, sit in this room with all these other addicts who have lost hope, and stay here for your allotted time. Getting raped and beat by the people serving longer sentences and have nothing to loose. That way, when you get out, you'll be much more psychologically damaged and broken and will probably be a repeat offender and graduate to much more violent crimes.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, drug rehab for a drunk/drugged up girl who kills a human being....You my friend have a long career in the judicial system, no matter where you reside...

Let's care about this girl's mindset over a year of prison and what could happen to her....Doesn't matter she murdered someone...

But, but there are drugs in prison....Guess where else there are drugs? Yeah Rehab....With the freaking addicts as well!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I posted the above meme earlier and it was removed for being off topic. I believe it's very much on topic, so please allow me to explain:

It's all about the Benjamins. We have the best court system money can buy. I'm sure this girl's family is pretty well off. But the fact that her father's a lawyer makes this one a slam dunk. And she probably won't even serve the full, light sentence.

You know there's folks with non-violent drug charges that have gotten way more time than this.

Despite what 'punishment' the court has handed down, I hope she feels the guilt deep down in her heart for taking the life of another human being. If she had been sober, it would be an accident and thus no call for guilt. But legally she shouldn't have been drinking at all (age) and she darn should not have been driving.
edit on 20-8-2015 by ladyvalkyrie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SheepDipped

She probably isn't actually an addict....just a rich party girl with no sense of consequences for her actions. And this sentence just reinforces her affluenza. She's probably in a huff because she didn't completely get off.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Possession of a couple of grams of drugs -- years.
Killing someone -- months.

Life's cheap in the U.S. of A..

edit on 21-8-2015 by PresidentHeston because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PresidentHeston

An oversimplification. This woman clearly had the connections to hire a decent attorney to work a deal. Which not everybody has the chance for a "fair trial." Like the example used in the OP. The other incident received 18 years.

I wonder if her being a bikini fitness model helped her case :-P

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSNa reply to: DJMSN

I just want to say that your attitude is an inspiration for a world that needs compassion, and realistic solutions to issues that are fueled by emotions, like anger and revenge. I can't imagine being in your shoes, but I understand why you choose to not punish all of the people indirectly plagued by one individuals actions.

I don't see how prison would help society in this case. A young person that made the wrong choices, and then made more wrong choices when it all went wrong. This person needs to be educated on how his actions affect the lives of others. I think a better punishment would be mandatory speeches for groups his age about how he ruined his life and the lives of others. Maybe that would at least wake a few young minds and make them think before they end up being a number in the system. It may not be the perfect solution, but prison deletes a person from society and makes them no longer useful. At least this way, others might learn from someone else's mistakes.

Again, I can't imagine what you've been through, but I wish you the best and I wish there were more people like you in this backwards world. Even though you've lost so much, you're doing the right thing by understanding that what happened reaches beyond your selfishness. I will even say I'm envious, because I don't know if I could be as strong as you in your situation.

<< 1    3 >>

join