It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does most of the weird stuff happen in the USA?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
ATS, as an American site with mainly American users, is, quite naturally, very USA-centric but it also appears as though most of the really weird stuff that's going on is almost exclusively American and in the USA. 2 things about this:

1. Being right in it because of being born there, having the American perception and experience of life purely because of culture, background, societal context etc, people see certain subjects as a given things to at least consider. Be it UFOs, strange inter dimensional creatures, extremely advanced science projects, certain types of monsters and demons... these subjects seem to have a place in American culture to a more or lesser extent, in varying degrees. But at least in my eyes, for the rest of the world these things aren't really relevant. It's much less of a concept, if at all. For instance, where I live, nobody talks about UFOs, monsters, inter dimensional portals, strange highly advanced government projects, and so on. There're certain groups who're interested in these matters but that's mainly because of American influences such as fiction and the internet, which brings me to point 2.

2. Most of these subjects originate in the USA, especially their interpretation. We don't hear much about entirely new strange phenomena from for instance European or Asian countries; for the most part, they're already in an American mind frame, obviously influenced by it and regardless of anything else, *much* rarer and also less popularly considered and debated. From my own standpoint at least: it all isn't really part of our world. Just like for instance, African magic isn't. It's part of their world and perception perhaps, but not ours. Same with many popular American conspiracy subjects.

You guys get all the exciting stuff, it seems!

Around the world, there've been cases of 'really weird stuff going on', such as the Dyatlov Pass incident, but much less amazing and seemingly crazy stuff than in the USA. These cases are also rarer, with larger distances and time periods between them. There're several topics that are pretty specifically American and are hardly found outside the USA and the occasional wishful thinker online in Europe (for example) who thinks he saw a strange light once somewhere. We don't have monsters, UFOs are hardly a concept or a subject, we don't have any (popular or widely known) cryptids or far less, especially on the continent, we hardly have amazing and close to sci-fi government technology, chemtrails aren't really an issue either... most of these subjects seem to exist mostly in that strange country the USA. Nobody ever talks about demons or cryptids and we don't have so many weird, alleged disappearances, sightings of strange beings, etc.

On the other hand, the USA does have a lot of strange stuff going on like all the spy programs, very unethical human experiments (like the one with syphilis, just naming ONE, why did you ever call your country free?) and generally, some extreme stuff. (that'd be conspiracy theory material if they weren't confirmed facts) So on the other hand, there's that, too.

Now, what I wonder about is basically this:

1. Do you agree with me? And where are you from?

2. Can you name 'weird stuff', strange incidents, widely searched for monsters etc in Europe or another part of the world that isn't (North) America? Out of interest and curiosity
I like these topics, after all.

3. Are there widely believed to exist phenomena that originate in another part of the world? Not talking about certain religions or miracles, but rather, conspiracy material and perhaps some supernatural subjects.

4. If you have the same thoughts and (perceived) observations as I do: what do you think causes that discrepancy? Is it how American culture works? Or is it that American people really DO get all the 'fun' stuff?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
No there is quite a bit of funky news from India and Africa or at least there used to when I checked FARK on a regular basis.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Pitou

I'm from convict country - we have the Pine gap joint US military spy base, the Wagyl, the min-min light, Port Arthur ghosts (Penal colony), seriously haunted houses in Melbourne, Fred Valentich, Harold Holt, Bunyips, drop bears, Hawkesbury River monster, rainbow serpents, sharks, crocs, spiders and lots of other frighteningly real creatures incl. stupid politicians.

We share lots of bat-ship crazy together bro.

There are a lot of Asian countries (Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Borneo) that are also steeped in paranormal shizzz.

Himalayas and Tibet too.

link   

originally posted by: Pitou
On the other hand, the USA does have a lot of strange stuff going on like all the spy programs, very unethical human experiments (like the one with syphilis, just naming ONE, why did you ever call your country free?) and generally, some extreme stuff.

Unit 731 - Japanese unethical experiments on humans
ECHELON
Nazi experimentations on humans

No. Canada.

2. Can you name 'weird stuff', strange incidents, widely searched for monsters etc in Europe or another part of the world that isn't (North) America?

Loch Ness Monster, Time shifts, Vrillon message.

3. Are there widely believed to exist phenomena that originate in another part of the world? Not talking about certain religions or miracles, but rather, conspiracy material and perhaps some supernatural subjects.

Vril society, Spear of Destiny, the Ark.

4. If you have the same thoughts and (perceived) observations as I do: what do you think causes that discrepancy? Is it how American culture works? Or is it that American people really DO get all the 'fun' stuff?

American culture is the one in focus because it is the largest english-speaking body of population. English-language media focus on it so to gain the most ratings possible.

edit on 19-8-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

link   

I think that perhaps much of the world is struggling to merely survive, and has no time to worry about weird occurrences.

Kev

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Don't worry after the elite complete the great work in Sep., craziness will be distributed across the world equally......

Chaos and madness will be common ground for all......

And the reason it seems majority happens in the states is because the higher ups work for fallen angels and the false prophet and don't forget it's the U.N.'s International year of Light.....

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

You guys get all the exciting stuff, it seems!

We have a large population that enjoys drugs too, so..........

Seriously though - We have many who are just attention seeking and will go to great lengths to get their 15 minutes. From faking videos to swearing they were abducted by aliens, we got'em. Folks who think bats are UFOs and what is plainly a flapping bird is a "biological entity" who hovered over their house. That's not to say we don't have legitimate sightings, it's just that most of them are either mistaken, easily fooled or outright lying.

Is it how American culture works? Or is it that American people really DO get all the 'fun' stuff?

Like I said, some is attention seeking, but then again, we do have some of the most sophisticated military hardware on the planet and some pretty strange programs going on, so if aliens wanted to see what they were going to be up against, they'd come looking at us. I'm surprised CERN doesn't get more visits.
edit on 19-8-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
America spreads its poison in many forms, usually to the detriment of other nations. Speaking english is required to be indoctrinated. This is spread along with dollars, media and "democracy bombs" around the world in order to subdue it.

Other Empires have done the same thing. They want everyone to be dominated for the "greater good" of all. Really the result of twisted minds, that want to exert their control, power and influence over everyone.

In this day and age of instant communication and near instant massively destructive weaponry, the flow of information is one sided, the wars more destructive than ever before.

Wild ride, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Interesting comments.

In a way but I suspect it is due to a number of things. America exports it's culture in many ways. Especially through Hollywood movies and TV. It also has done in the past with books and comic books. So in a way that directly influences other nations. Especially in the English speaking parts of the world like the here in the UK and most of Europe where English is a common 2nd language.

2. Can you name 'weird stuff', strange incidents, widely searched for monsters etc in Europe or another part of the world that isn't (North) America? Out of interest and curiosity I like these topics, after all.

Well Scotland has the Loch Ness Monster, there are Alien Big Cat sightings, timeslip stories, crop circles and many UFO stories from the UK. Although I would say we are a naturally more sceptical society and so tend to look for the prosaic answer first before jumping to conclusions. Europe of course has legends about Vampires and Werewolves. The continent is rich in folklore and of course lots of ghost stories.

Not sure when you mean other parts of the world you mean outside America here????? There have been conspiracies about the Death of Princess Diana, Other Royals, Dr. David Clarke (involved with the Iraq inquiry), Lord Lucan and more recently over cover ups involving Paedophiles in power.....There are lots more as well. The Hitler escaped to South America is one that seems to be known the world over.

No I think it is just the fact that you don't seem to have been exposed to all the other stuff across the world and that America has a lot of influence and links with many other nations so it becomes absorbed into other cultures too.

edit on 19/8/15 by mirageman because: edit

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Florida mostly.
Or within a hundred foot radius of wherever I am

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
For example, they arrested an obscene parrot in India recently.

I guess it cussed out the wrong 85-year-old woman.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
England has it's fair share of weirdness

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

ATS, as an American site

ATS was actually founded by a Brit.

most of the really weird stuff that's going on is almost exclusively American and in the USA

Reason being, there are more weird people in The U.S. than elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

This thread pretty much equals this

Yes, yes I am

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I don't know OP. I am from Atlanta, GA, which is the southeast part of the USA. I was born in the USA, live in the USA, and I've never left the USA; therefore my perception is completely limited to what I've seen here. With that said, I would imagine that paranormal instances happen all over the world.

Many of the concepts of paranormal things didn't even originate in the USA.

For instance, the concept of aliens/gods/demons goes back at least 6,000 years, and probably MUCH further back. The concept of ghosts as well.

Dragons come from the east. Goblins, faeries, sprites, etc....that comes from ireland or europe I think, right?

Now, bigfoot DID originate in the USA....california I believe. However, the Yeti, abomidable snowmen, etc - is outside of the USA as well.

Hauntings, AND UFO reports have been reported ALL over the globe.

Hitler and the nazi/Thule society were known to have believed in ETs, and might have even made contact. The Roswell crash happened in 1947, right after WW2 had ended. It was no coincidence, based on everything I've read. So honestly, most of the UFO sightings probably took place/take place in the USA because of technology/contacts we made AFTER Germany's initial contact.

In the East they have Djinns.

So what I'm trying to say is, MOST of the paranormal topics and things you have the in the USA, you ALSO have elsewhere. Remember, the USA is a really young country....only around 200 years old. Lots of the paranormal concepts are ancient, and were originally shared through oral traditions/story telling.

Now, as the reason why you here more stories coming from the USA? There are a few reasons:
1. We have the strongest, most expensive military on the face of the Earth. A lot of conspiracy theories come from that fact, combined with the secret projects and black budget of the military.

2. The USA, specifically hollywood, is the world's leading film/entertainment hub. Since paranormal topics make for great flicks, there is going to be LOTS of horror movies coming from the US. This injects the ideas/concepts into the heads of those here, which leads to more interest, more discussion, and ultimately more reported encounters.

3. With the advent of the internet, especially now on the phones, its a LOT easier to find paranormal stories/topics/discussion forums....and a LOT easier to write up our own individual experiences/accounts.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: supermarket2012

hollywood, is the world's leading film/entertainment hub.

It was. It's been overtaken by India's " Bollywood "

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I'm surprised you didn't have a go because of the most bad ass military in th world comment instead you go after Hollywood, well we are still #1 and the sun has set my friend the sun has set.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

If you say so it must be correct.

In terms of numbers, the Indian film industry is the biggest in the world. Movies are an intrinsic part of national culture and three and a half billion cinema tickets are sold every year.

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

and the occasional wishful thinker online in Europe
REMOVED
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: I wrote things that I shouldn't have, sorry

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A lot of girls over here go out in their pyjamas. That's really weird.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join