It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently we are Headed for a HUGE Robot war with Japan with some serious players involved .

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

It's a shame railguns require so much power. One good shoulder mounted railgun shot would disable anything in it's path.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
...so American created.

Undetermined, lol.

Jim Shooter and Dennis O'Neil both state that Takara did most of the work, and Takara states that Shooter and O'Neil did most of the work...so, we will probably never know.

All of which is to say, America is no slouch in the giant mech department. We haven't built life size Gundam statues like the Japanese have but I wouldn't say they hold the advantage here. America has an obsession with giant robots that blow things up.

The US is no slouch in the R&D end, but they are woefully behind in the implementation end, which is the only end that matters right now.

For whatever reasons, the West has continued to 'develop' things like exoskeleton technology, where as the Japanese have integrated it into their current establishment.

Aside from the more notable instances, like HAL, major Japanese industrial companies have been using sudo, and even full, exoskeletons for shipbuilding, steel works, etc.

Now, most may consider exoskeletons as a completely different ball game, but the control systems are very similar, and that edge has transferred to the current designs. For example, the hands. Megabot MK II has no hands. Kuratas has fully controlled and articulating hands. Megabot MK II has zero lateral movement. Kurasta has full 360 degree movement. Megabot MK II is top heavy (watch the Maker Faire videos) to the point where it has stability issues while extending to full height. Kuratas, with a variable width stance, does not.

These are all lessons that were learned when the basic exoskeletons were being integrated into Japanese establishments. Real world experience, if you will.

Now, all of that said, that may not matter much, as these are really just a couple of independents having fun with over sized toys, but the real world experience does favour Japan.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Lol...get ready to watch the world's slowest boxing match.
2nd.
edit on 19-8-2015 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It's a shame railguns require so much power. One good shoulder mounted railgun shot would disable anything in it's path.

I was thinking of a stomach mounted, forward shooting, mini-battering ram. It wouldn't be nearly as powerful as a railgun, though. But once the opponent got within range, it could knock the opponent down & maybe rattle the cockpit. Ok, that part might be too dangerous.

originally posted by: peck420
Lol...get ready to watch the world's slowest boxing match.
2nd.

LOL Probably. No matter how sophisticated the beings are, it almost always comes down to a fist fight. Kicks would be great but I think the balancing issues would be too big to overcome. And jumping attacks are probably out of the question for now. But maybe they could speed up the attacks? Zombie movies with fast zombies always freaked me out because it was so unexpected.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
LOL Probably. No matter how sophisticated the beings are, it almost always comes down to a fist fight. Kicks would be great but I think the balancing issues would be too big to overcome. And jumping attacks are probably out of the question for now. But maybe they could speed up the attacks? Zombie movies with fast zombies always freaked me out because it was so unexpected.

It would be cool, and I for one, have all sorts of hopes to see something straight out of a sci-fi game/movie, but...

I have watched every video these two have put out publicly, and a couple videos that aren't public, and neither is 'fast'...so to speak.

I think we still have quite a ways to go before we get to see 'the dream' come alive.

Regardless...this goes pay-per-view...they can take my money.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

AH!!! I was about to say, Resistance is futile! nevermind

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

It would be cool, and I for one, have all sorts of hopes to see something straight out of a sci-fi game/movie, but...

I have watched every video these two have put out publicly, and a couple videos that aren't public, and neither is 'fast'...so to speak.

I think we still have quite a ways to go before we get to see 'the dream' come alive.

Regardless...this goes pay-per-view...they can take my money.

I agree. Maybe if this is a big enough draw, Honda will finally make Asimo into the fighter we know he can become. Then they can make a large Asimo to take down the winner of this match.

It's not fooling me. I know what those moves are really for. At the 10 sec mark, he even slips in the famous "wax on wax off" move from the 1:36 mark in this video. Hmm...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Countries already produce mechs that could melee battle. Go to any construction job site. They could just copy you know a CAT 330 or Komastu 228 excavator and easily win the battle and probably cheaper. pick a smaller model if weight is an issue.

as others have said, a bobcat also. a bobcat/skidsteer would run circles around these mech suits.

I'd pay money to watch people battle in modded out bobcats, forklifts and telehandlers.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

A CAT 330 can't wield a machine gun and a missile launcher would be pretty tough too.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Go japan!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
1 year away? I can't wait that long lol.

I got goosebumps watching that video.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Imagine it looked something like this... we can only hope lol.

Makes me want to start playing Mechwarrior Online again, still a good game with a great dedicated community.
edit on 20-8-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Oho I have got to see this in one year then XD It's looks like it'll be a close battle but frankly who knows who'll win until we see the end

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Quick Update

They finally had the battle yesterday. I'd completely forgotten about this until I saw a link saying it just ended. It's actually several battles
I won't give spoilers but here's a link to it:

1st fight is at the 8:34 mark
2nd fight at 13:28 (much longer & better fight)
3rd & final fight at 19:51

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

very cool will have to check out .

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Quick Update

They finally had the battle yesterday. I'd completely forgotten about this until I saw a link saying it just ended. It's actually several battles
I won't give spoilers but here's a link to it:

1st fight is at the 8:34 mark
2nd fight at 13:28 (much longer & better fight)
3rd & final fight at 19:51

The first battle was the most disappointing thing i havr ever seen. Onto battle 2 & 3 now. However My expectations are now extremely low

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

LOL That's why I said the 2nd was longer and better. I actually started getting worried during the 3rd battle because the chainsaw was... Oh yeah, no spoilers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join