It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, I am a Conspiracy Theorist. Why aren't you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Yes, I am a Conspiracy Theorist. Why aren't you?

I question many things, I always have. I never went along with the flow of things. I believe it has to do with my upbringing.

Shut Up, Conspiracy Theorist!!!

www.youtube.com...

Shut Up, Conspiracy Theorist!!!

Why Do People Believe in Conspiracy Theories? 1/3

I have spent years researching many events in my life and have concluded there are many conspiracies behind them. Do I have the answers to many of them? No I do not, however many conspiracies are very deep and when one goes down a rabbit hole, will uncover many things.

For people who don't believe in conspiracy theories

www.youtube.com...

There are many people who speak negatively against conspiracy theorist for many reason, they just cannot believe government would commit crimes and cover them up.
Many people live in their own created bubble and never have researched most events, many of these people depend on our propaganda media for their daily information.
There are many TV shows with political talking points to sway people thinking, and reasoning on many political events that are ongoing. That is why I shut off the News years ago. I only watch TV strictly for entertainment, not to get information.

There have always been conspiracy theories since the beginning of man.

My question is for those who do not believe in Conspiracy theorist: Why?
edit on 18-8-2015 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

I would say they prefer to be comfortable hearing the "official story" the media spits out...

Only real problem is, IF one dives too deep into conspiracies... it consumes their whole life, and everything becomes a conspiracy...

its like a drug... extreme long term use may lead to mental issues

Best idea is to realise there is corruption all over the world, cover ups, and conspiracy... but for the most part you'll never prove it, so theres nothing you can do about it... accept it, have fun with it... and don't take it too seriously

edit on 18-8-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Well to answer your question, i am a "kinda conspiracy theorist"
I don't believe in them up front, but i like to be as informed as possible, the truth lies in strange places, and i rather be ready to expect the unexpected.
The problem with most conspiracies, is that at some point they go off the rails.
i've said this in a bunch of posts, conspiracy theories at some point become a religion: i know it in my heart to be true=do your own research you sheeple!
People WANT to believe certain things because it helps give them a sense of direction, it makes them feel like they are on top of things. it's a bridge in the gap between us, and the people in power, between us and the things we cannot fully understand.
Remember how many people were convinced something was going to happen in 2012? that is the reason i stopped visiting this site for a while, tons of people were CERTAIN something was going to happen, with that stupid planet X now it's 2015...so i guess it got stuck in traffic.
Same thing for ebola, people we accusing me of being superficial and ignorant for not giving into the fabricated hysteria. frankly i expected more from people that visit a website with "deny ignorance" as a motto.

This does not mean conspiracies are just that, lots of them turn out to be true, and it's safe to assume that people in power want mainly one thing: to keep the power away from us, by any means.
But if we want any sort of legitimacy, if we want our voice to be heard, we need to weed out the nonsense, and i feel that will never happen within the community, that is why i am just a kinda conspiracy theorist.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

there is a difference between wanting answers and thinking everything is a conspiracy. both classifications of people get lumped together and shouldn't be. not every thing is a conspiracy. it isn't bad to ask questions until you are satisfied. but be ready to accept that some questions will go unanswered.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I always find it funny, you are aware that the term ''conspiracy theorist'' is the label those who often get blamed for conspiracies gave to their accusers, right?

Something is real or it is not and just because it is in the dark and unseeable, doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist.

If you want to label yourself then I'd suggest the term ''free thinker'', less insulting

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
And what's the alternative to believing we are being lied to on a daily basis?

Believing we are being the truth on a daily basis.

I know which one I pick.

Jude

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I am not a conspiracy theorist because of the many leaps of logic, fallacies, and outright lies people are willing to believe that confirm previously held bias.

I believe in applying the scientific method to all things. Conspiracy theorists tend to make conclusions before having all the data. Anything that does not confirm their preconceived notions is discarded as invalid without so much as a cursory look at the data.

Conspiracy Theory is for the intellectually lazy.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

The problem is that many conspiracy theorists don't know how real world conspiracies happen and romanticize them to the point of absurdity and it thus discredits their whole movement. IF CTers would be more intellectually honest with their research and not insert their own narratives into every little hole in the story, I'd bet more would be willing to believe them.

I mean it IS a fact that conspiracies happen, but the scales of these conspiracies end up warped in CTer's heads. There isn't a giant global spanning network of evil trying to dominate the world. The government is colluding together against the people. What's really going on is that certain elements within various organizations, government or private, collude together secretly. This group of people is usually small to prevent leaks. The OTHER thing that people don't account for is bureaucracy and the compartmentalization of government. There are times when many CTer's misinterpret government being a bureaucratic mess as some evil plot against them.

From what I see of many conspiracy theorists on this website, they call out the mainstream for being sheep or not questioning things, yet they refuse to question the accounts of the alternative stories they've substituted for the mainstream account. That's just as closed minded as the people they are going on and on about.
edit on 18-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

That's funny. Every single conspiracy theorist I've ever met clearly abandoned critical thinking. They would demand evidence to contradict their wildly baseless claims while offering zero evidence of their own. If you supplied the evidence they were looking for, and it did indeed contradict their bias, then you were "working for the man." From my experience in having conversations with dozens of conspiracy theorists, I've learned it's best to walk away from them and not put any consideration into their opinions or judgement. Only a conspiracy theorist would call themselves a critical thinker. If that was supposed to be a joke, it's a good one!
Here's what an actual critical thinker does. They asses a situation from multiple angles (not just ones they agree with). They either seek to produce evidence, or evaluate existing evidence with an open mind. they never make wild accusations without either having irrefutable evidence, or attempting to use the scientific method to collect it on their own. They're open to being proven wrong. Conspiracy theorists wanting to be called critical thinkers is like a drunk soccer mom demanding a participation trophy.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: neveroddoreven99
a reply to: Layaly

That's funny. Every single conspiracy theorist I've ever met clearly abandoned critical thinking.

I would like to see the methodology used to establish that
    a conspiracy theorist
    clearly abandoned
    critical thinking

Especially since this quote admits that they were only "met" and not _tested_.
And the use of that word ever does not sound very scientific.

How can we, the readers, be sure this conclusion isn't just based on the writers feelings and/or impressions?

Mike Grouchy

edit on 18-8-2015 by mikegrouchy because: picture

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neveroddoreven99

Scientific Study Reveals Conspiracy Theorists The Most Sane Of All.

(NaturalNews) If you’re a conspiracy theorist, then you’re crazy, right? That’s been the common belief for years, but recent studies prove that just the opposite is true.

Researchers — psychologists and social scientists, mostly — in the U.S. and United Kingdom say data indicate that, contrary to those mainstream media stereotypes, “conspiracy theorists” appear to be more sane than people who accept official versions of controversial and contested events.

The most recent study was published in July 2013 by psychologists Michael J. Wood and Karen M. Douglas of the University of Kent in the UK. Entitled “‘What about Building 7?’ A Social Psychological Study of Online Discussion of 9/11 Conspiracy Theories,” the study compared “conspiracy,” or pro-conspiracy theory, and “conversationalist,” or anti-conspiracy, comments on news websites.

The researchers noted that they were surprised to find that it is now more conventional to leave so-called conspiracist comments than conventional ones.

“Of the 2174 comments collected, 1459 were coded as conspiracist and 715 as conventionalist,” the researchers wrote.

‘The research showed that people who favored the official account of 9/11 were generally more hostile’

So, among people who comment on news articles, those who discount official government accounts of events like the 9/11 attacks and the assassination of John F. Kennedy outnumber believers by more than two-to-one. That means the pro-conspiracy commenters are those who are now expressing what is considered conventional wisdom, while the anti-conspiracy commenters represent a small, beleaguered minority that is often scoffed at and shunned.

9/11: NEVER EVER EXPRESS DOUBTS ABOUT ANY PART OF THIS OFFICIAL ORCHESTRATED STORY TO ANYONE!

Perhaps becoming frustrated that their alleged mainstream viewpoints are no longer considered as such by the majority, those who are anti-conspiracy commenters often showed anger and disgust in their posts.

“The research… showed that people who favored the official account of 9/11 were generally more hostile when trying to persuade their rivals,” said the study.

Also, it seems that those who do not believe in the conspiracies were not just hostile but fanatically attached to their own conspiracy theories as well. The researchers said that, according to the anti-conspiracy holders, their own theory of 9/11 — one which says 19 Muslims, none of whom could fly commercial airliners with any proficiency, pulled off an amazing surprise attack under the direction of a man on dialysis (Osama bin Laden) who was living in a cave somewhere in Afghanistan — is unwavering true.

Meanwhile, “conspiracists,” on the hand, did not have to pretend to have a theory that completely explained the events of 9/11. “For people who think 9/11 was a government conspiracy, the focus is not on promoting a specific rival theory, but in trying to debunk the official account,” the researchers said.

In short, the new study by Wood and Douglas suggests that the negative stereotype of the conspiracy theorist — a hostile fanatic wedded to the truth of his own fringe theory — accurately describes the people who defend the official account of 9/11, not those who dispute it.

A conspiracy theory about a conspiracy theory

The study also found that conspiracy believers discuss historical context, like viewing the JFK assassination as a precedent for 9/11, more than the antis. It also found that conspiracy believers do not like to be labeled as such.

These and other findings are contained in a new book, Conspiracy Theory in America, by political scientist Lance DeHaven-Smith, which was published last year by the University of Texas Press. He explained why people don’t like to be labeled as “conspiracy theorists.”

“The CIA’s campaign to popularize the term ‘conspiracy theory’ and make conspiracy belief a target of ridicule and hostility must be credited, unfortunately, with being one of the most successful propaganda initiatives of all time,” he said.

In 1913 Jacob Schiff sets up the Anti Defamation League (ADL) in the United States. This organisation is formed to slander anyone who questions or challenges the Rothschild global conspiracy as, “anti-semitic.”

STATE OF FREEDOM: MEETING OF THE MEGAMINDS RUSSELL BRAND & ALEC BALDWIN IN LONDON.
He further noted that, essentially, those who use the term as an insult are doing so as the result of a well-documented, undisputed and historically accurate conspiracy by the CIA to cover up the JFK assassination.

Or not.

You be the judge.

politicalvelcraft.org...

I thought this was very interesting considering the few negative comments about conspiracy theorists.
I was brought up to not believe in everything I was told or read. I was told to use common scene, critical thinking and to know the different between, "opinions" and facts based on credible sources.

Not all conspiracy theorist abandon critical thinking and you did lump all of us in your comment.

If it wasn't for conspiracy theorist we would not be able to solve murders. Many of us are professionals, we do not sit in mothers basement cooking these things up.

Conspiracy theorists wanting to be called critical thinkers is like a drunk soccer mom demanding a participation trophy.

Conspiracy theorist will say the same thing to people who believe in the given narratives they watch from propaganda TV.

top topics

join