It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly bomb blast rocks Thailand's capital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

At least 19 people have been killed and 78 wounded by a bomb blast that hit the commercial centre of the Thai capital Bangkok.

The blast, which was said to have taken place near the Erawan Hindu Shrine, occurred about 7.10pm local time, according to the Bangkok Post.

In an earlier report, Reuters had said that at least 27 people had died, including four foreigners.

Nearby offices have reportedly been evacuated, according to reports on social media.

The bomb was placed inside the Erawan Shrine area, Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said.

"It was a TNT bomb... the people who did it targeted foreigners and to damage tourism and the economy," said Wongsuwong.

Thai police said a second bomb is being defused inside the shrine.

Al Jazeera's Veronice Pedrosa, reporting from the scene, said that rescue workers said that a secondary device had been found inside the shrine itself and that the bomb squad were diffusing it.

Eric Seldin, of Thaicom Production Services, was 100 metres away when the explosion happened.

"I was inside the Hyatt hotel having dinner when we heard an extremely loud explosion near the Ratchaprasong intersection," he told Al Jazeera. "The windows were shattered and everyone at the hotel was startled.

"Security tried to shut down the hotel and attempted to keep everyone inside but I was able to go out and walk just about 50 metres close to the intersection.

"I noticed seven to eight covered bodies. There was damage to the ground of the shrine.

"On the street itself there were several casualties. There is a large security presence. Police are moving people back because they are worried about the second explosion.

"The area is extremely close to the National Police Headquarters and the police hospital," Seldin said

Deadly bomb blast rocks Thailand's capital

This is real disturbing to think that I was there in Bangkok, Thailand just a few months ago, and my one friend was there just a week ago. Its a real tragedy to see.
edit on 17-8-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

I believe this is already a thread my friend.

A sad state of affairs it is.

Bangkok explosion

edit on 17-8-2015 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Sorry, didn't see that one. May be same story, but two different sources and content of the story.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

oh no , a friends daughter is there now (teaches) and friend will be going there in a month or two.
I've no way to contact either of them till tomorrow and don't want to scare the friend half to death either.

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep the phone near me incase they call and need a shoulder.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EvilBat

I hope she is okay!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The mods sort out these things.
I am glad to see you were not caught in the horror these people are now going through.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

My best wishes and hopes for your friends.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

me to, I'll find out definatly first thing in the morning.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Keep me updated on both her, and your other friends.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

The the tragady is that the Thailand people are the most friendly group of people I have ever seen!
edit on 17-8-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Please continue in existing thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closing duplicate.

new topics

top topics

join