It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone racing? yes please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
On your marks ATS.

Drones have received a bad wrap over the years, as some of their 'pilots' have been using them for dubious practices, but as the technology rises and the prices drop, drones are becoming more readily available to the common consumer, some brilliant boffins have created a new sport that is 'taking off' (pun completely intended.)

Imagine a sport in which remote-controlled, custom-built, four-propeller drones that can travel faster than 70 mph embark on races through gated obstacle courses or even dogfight in mid-air -- all while sending back live feeds that are viewed through virtual-reality FPV (first-person-view) video goggles. Pilots and spectators wearing their own goggles say part of the pull is you literally feel as if you are flying. "It's a completely immersive experience," says 34-year-old Drone Racing League founder Nick Horbaczewski.

ESPN

But that's just the beginning. Those invested in the sports growth are hoping to get the audience more involved by utilizing technology to bring spectators closer to the action.

FanVision allows fans in the grandstands to view the race in front of them on personal monitors and even switch their perspective from driver cockpit to driver cockpit.

And the growth of the sport has garnered support from sponsors, and the investment in the sport has got the attention of one prominent investor:

The owner of the Miami Dolphins, Stephen Ross, is investing $1 million in the Drone Racing League, a New York-based startup that will host its first public race event later this year. The league plans to earn money through ticket sales, sponsors and other media.

Discover

Another positive aspect that could arise is it could encourage some kids and parents to engage in the sport, like the boxcar racers of old. Now this is pod racing:

youtube

Now is that cool or is that cool? I'm saying it's cool.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Pretty cool except when they crash. I'm sure you have to have some pretty good skill to keep them from crashing into the poles and ceilings. I wonder if they race them outside at night?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Omg this is awesome, because I was there!!! My sister is building a drone (you can just see her in the start of that video), and I tagged along because I like more terrestrial RC vehicles. It was awesome to watch, and I'm considering building one too. Here is a couple of videos I took while we were there. I'm really excited about it because as a kid I wanted to be a pilot. But I became diabetic and that dream died. Now I have a chance to almost experience the feeling

s1124.photobucket.com...

s1124.photobucket.com...

edit on 23-8-2015 by tima4h because: Checkin tags

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is awesome man. They should add special effects too, you could have a graphics overlay that could simulate shooting a laser or a missile.

I'd like to try the human sized version though, that would be ultimate.

new topics

top topics

join