It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Not a Homophobe! But...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
(post by miquelagreste removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

They wouldn't show it if it didn't sell. Supply and demand, not mind control or indoctrination.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Population control. Gays don't reproduce. The government thanks you for your participation.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

LMAO. So you claim to have no problems with gays in real life, but at the same time can't handle them on TV.

Could it be that you are not completely honest with yourself regarding your feelings towards gays?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

homosexuals are not over represented. i watch a lot of tv and movies. pretty much all i do in my free time. hetero's are still winning the race.
i dont see the issue here.
i always think peoples comments are funny. especially when they have to qualify them first with 'im not a homophobe but' or 'i dont mind gay scenes/themes in shows unless'

its funny to me. all the 'gay stuff' on tv and in the movies does not bother me at all.
10 years ago there was queer eye for the straight guy and supporting characters like on will and grace.
back then i think it was more the comic relief type character even in comedy shows where as now the gay characters can be the main character or homosexuality can be a major theme of the show or movie.

it is more accepted now so we are seeing it more.
there is also more content than there was before.

before we had only tv for our tv shows.
now we have cable tv shows, amazon prime shows, netflix shows...
more offered all around.

im sure if all you 'im not a homophobe but' people sat down and made a list of movies and tv shows and had a gey column and a hetero column than you would clearly see the hetero column would still be in the lead so fear not.

always get a kick out of these threads.
to get worked up enough to start rants. to mention how even though it does not bother you, it bothers you.
hahahahahahahah

get used to it folks. the 'gay stuff' is here to stay. i fail to see the issue
i guess i dont have one.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I went on to explain; my issue is, it seems like anymore there is this tremendous pressure by television programming, the media and so may other outlets to force you to accept homosexuality as a representative (i.e. mainstream) cross section of society. I disagree. I have no personall issue with it (to each his own), but I take exception to every freaking show trying to shove it down everyone's throat as if every other person in society is gay.

after reading your post again, even though you say you dont have an issue and point out all the gays you know in real life, i think you have an issue as do most that say they dont have an issue.
i dont see this tremendous pressure. i dont feel like i am being forced to accept anything. i watch a lot of freaking shows and every one is not trying to shove anything down my throat.
the things i do watch where homosexuality is a major theme, i still dont feel forced anything.
i have a little button on my remote that i could click so i could voluntarily turn the channel.

you have an issue. it is pretty clear.
just come out and say it.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: beezzer

I'm trans-financial.

I was a rich man born in a poor mans' body. I hope the government corrects this.

I also want everyone to support my new lifestyle that I was born into. I can't help it.

It's genetics.

You guys should get a parade..

Its called a riot and looting

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: EKron

Tonight I walked in the door and the wife is watching TV. She says "don't look...don't look" (meaning the program she's watching). As I walked through carrying some groceries I heard some dialogue about "Bruce" (whoever he is now) Jenner.

You say your wife says she didn't know you were homophobic but with her "don't look...don't look" warning about the Caitlyn Jenner show, it sure sounds like she's well aware you are transphobic?

Somebody needs to make an "in my face" meme. I'm sick of hearing it. Change the damn channel.

Maybe she was saying dont look as attention whores piss him off?

I dont care if its whatever jenner, a stupid fat arse Kardashian or some other reality tv gob#e, they all piss me off.
Call me attensionwhorephobic

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
Population control. Gays don't reproduce. The government thanks you for your participation.

Seeing as the human race is a long long way from dying out, I fail to see the downside to less people breeding.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
i think it started a long time ago but, and here's the clincher:

as a young person it didn't make me want to be gay. for example, i was a huge fan of david bowie as a teenager but that didn't make me gay or pressure me to be gay. i just liked his music.

seems to me, there is much ado about nothing. hollywood is overdramatizing it as is pretty much everyone else who uses it as a political hot potato. just relax.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo
i was a huge fan of david bowie as a teenager but that didn't make me gay or pressure me to be gay.

Oh c'mon, there had to be at least a little pressure when you watched Labyrinth.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

nope. but i thought he was great as the goblin king. he's talented, no doubt. really good artwork in that film. i saw a compendium of all the original artworks for it - fantastic artist.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Actually, I don't .... watch (TV) (at all)

Secondly, how do you figure I am the one forcing anything down someone else's throat by expressing an opinion...and observation.

A bit rash, don't you think?

its not P.C to have an opinion on something that goes against the grain of the left. You have become unhooked from the leftist BORG mind and you must be assimilated!

Dont even THINK about homosexuality outwith the realm of political correctness or the thought police will be on your tail!

On a serious note though, i feel the same, homosexuality is like a d**k, do what you want in your own home, bedroom whatever, but when you pull it out and try to ram it down my throat, we have a problem.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Just why is it so wrong to hate gays? There is clearly a natural repulsion towards them. How is it wrong to express that? It is possibly not even so much a matter of sexuality but a matter of style. Even if gays stopped being gay, but they still dressed up as such and sounded like it and be lame and annoying general, they would still be gay. It's no joy for the senses, it's like morbid obesity or something. We see it's not something we want to see. Abominations. Are we fattophobes then? I think it's some sort of natural quality control. We don't want the world to be infested with hideous monsters. Maybe they can't help it, maybe they have some condition, like obsessive compulsive eating disorder, but still we have a valid reason not to hire them or not to bake them a cake if we don't feel like it, don't we? (it's for their own good). How about gays? Is it that you HAVE to hire them because they are gay or they sue you for discrimination? And you have to bake them cake or you are out of business? (even though you don't have to bake for anyone if you don't feeli like it). Who knows. And you can't make a comment againts them without being labeled as homophobe? How did they get it to that? Most people are silently silenced and they can't say what they really think because they would be attacked for their views, while pro-gays are free to spread their agenda. That's messed up.

If they are constantly in your face about it and acting in annoying ways, they are just asking for trouble. I understand perfectly why some people feel it is they duty to go bash them up. The whole subject used to be a taboo and out of mind out of sight. Maybe it was better that way. Putting them in every f***ing TV show is not good for anyone. It's not building tolerance but exceeding it. And then the heterophobes come and try to annoy you even further for not being compliant. It seems like some sort of conspiracy.

I just don't like to see gays ruin TV. Even childrens cartoons are not safe. I'm not sure but didn't "Dispicable me 2" have f***ing YMCA song in it? Isn't that like the gay national anthem or something? Is that really suitable for children? Gays tend to magically ruin everything they are associated to. Like rainbows for instance used to be a nice natural phenomenon, now it's just gay.

They should probably tell the kids too that that stuff is gay so they don't embarrass themselves.

edit on 17-8-2015 by Exelcior because: _

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Well you do seem homophobic if it bothers you. The industry has been run by gay people for a 100 year, they finally just got to a point where their story could be told and advertisers would buy it and the public would be more accepting. Here is a thought, don't like them, don't watch. You are the one that seems to be forcing something down other peoples throats while pretending to be this all accepting hypocrite.

I think you've missed the point. Let's take the suggestion you make "don't watch". If we were to not watch all programs with an embedded strong gay theme ie stronger than is present in day to day life, then every soap would be off, at least half the comedy shows and about 75% of light entertainment shows.

My partner (unmarried wife) has also noted how almost every program has the "overtly" gay person or persons.

FYI before you start to come back at me with some anti gay nonsense : my son is gay and I don't give a damn, nobody in the family does, we care about getting on in life and being happy. So as someone with a gay family member who has "gayness" in their life on a day to day basis, the TV has way way way more "gayness" than my personal life and I can guarantee that I am party to more gay themes in my private life than the vast majority of folks watching TV. So there is a clear imbalance on the TV.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

BBC is the worst for it.

Thing is there is gay like most the people I know who are gay which are "normal" and there is "super gay" the Lois Spence, Boy George of the world. And its always the the "super gay" that TV seem to present.

Even the gays I know hate it. As they say it doesn't represent the majority and paints a wrong picture of the majority of them. Hell one of my gay friends called those in the flamboyant "super gay" community fags ! So if anything it seems to be dividing even the gay community.
edit on 17-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I keep hearing "I have a lot of gay friends", or "I know a lot of gay people". Kind of like I used to hear "I have black friends" so as not to appear racist. I want to know what constitutes a "lot". I can count on less than one hand how many gay and bi people I know at this point in my life. And only three at present that I talk to with any kind of regularity. They're about as normal as anyone else. You wouldn't know unless they told you, or you were around them long enough. As usual, the media have caricaturized(new word) gays to be something the majority are not. Just as they did, and still do black people somewhat.

Of course, I grew up in the ghetto, so I recognize it more than other people do. Now I live in a small town, that is bible beltish(another new word), and gays haven't been open here in the past, but that is changing slowly, much to the chagrin of some people. I actually wish more gays would come out of the closet here. This area needs them to balance the bigotry. There's a store here, openly selling "confederate" flags, proudly on display in front of the store. Lol. I could care less, but I'm sure the few black people we have here aren't particularly fond of it. Merica!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

see thats exactly what seems to upset the gay people i know and work with.

The media portrays them as flamboyant, in your face, camp and sometimes borderline perverted.

They hate it. They dont mince around, act camp or anyway in your face and they seem to resent the media for that image.

You dont hear much from them either as they are everyday NORMAL people who just get on with life.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

No, I understand his point. Sy-Fy got called out for not having enough representation and between one season and the next all of their shows suddenly acquired gay characters either an existing character was "outed" whether it made sense or not or a new one was inserted summarily to be the "token."

It's annoying. When at most 5% of the population is gay, it makes sense to have a few gay characters, but not every ensemble cast has to have one. It's out of all proportion to reality. There are more gays in TV than there are Asians. And I'd be willing to bet there are way more Asians as a percentage of the population.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

This is symptomatic of what I was getting at in my OP. It's the over the top, overt, presentation in the media which is so troubling. The networks seem to be pressing the "look at me, pay attention to this message" theme. I consider myself to be an intelligent person, as are most around me (gay / lesbian or not), and having this message continuously stuck in front of my face, no matter what channel, is aggravating.

As I've stated, I have no issue whatsoever with homosexuality in general. It has existed since the beginning of recorded history of man. However, throughout the many centuries it has always been the exception, not the rule. And, I'm not passing judgement on it, but I am expressing frustration at how the gay theme is being forced by the media as being the norm (the 'rule') today. Frankly, it isn't. Not saying it's wrong, but it's not the 'rule' of human relations in society.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join