It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Another) Indonesian plane missing over Papua region

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

An Indonesian plane with 54 people on board is missing in Papua region, officials have said.
Contact was lost with the Trigana Air ATR 42 turboprop just before 15:00 local time (06:00 GMT) after take-off from Sentani airport in the regional capital Jayapura.
The plane was en route to the town of Oksibil in the south of the region.
It is carrying 44 adult passengers, five children and infants, and five crew.
The plane took off from Sentani at 14:21 and contact was lost at 14:55.
Transport ministry spokesman Julius Barata confirmed the disappearance.
"We are not sure what happened to the plane yet and we are co-ordinating with local authorities," he told AFP news agency.
"The weather is currently very bad there, it's very dark and cloudy. It's not conducive for a search. The area is mountainous."

(Another) Indonesian plane missing over Papua region

Sounds like it crashed.
edit on 16-8-2015 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Sounds like if it was a crash and if there were survivors they're going to have a long wait until morning. [Link]

So far everyone is just saying "lost contact" and "missing."

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I cant believe this country is still aloud to keep an airline, how many more people do they have to kill before some thing is done to upgrade the pilots training and aircraft service standards

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Villagers reported hearing a crash in the mountains, but it's deeply forested and searchers have to wait until daybreak to look.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

Since 1945 there have been 133 fatal commercial airline accidents related to Indonesian airlines. The number of accidents in other countries in the area are just as high, if not higher in many of them.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Finnair, EVA air,Emirates to name a few seem to be able to keep there a/c in the air

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

They also haven't been expanding at an incredible rate because they have a huge new middle class, like some places in Asia have been. There have been single airlines that have had more accidents in two years than the entire country of Indonesia has had in the last two years, and they're still flying.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
"They also haven't been expanding at an incredible rate because they have a huge new middle class, like some places in Asia have been"
So as long as somewhere is expanding fast it ok to crash plains and have poor service history. Time to end this line of talk as its getting silly

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

You're right, this is getting silly, since you're going to put words in my mouth.

We'll just start taking planes away from anyone that crashes more than one, since they're obviously not capable of maintaining them. Will that satisfy you?
edit on 8/16/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Communications misunderstanding, happens some times, sorry this time my fault

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
BBC news reporting that wreckage has been found in mountains and reported to authorities

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 16-8-2015 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2015 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think there may be some confusion here; Indonesia and Malaysia are actually different countries. There was an Indonesian Airlines plane that went down in Borneo last year as I recall, but I'm not sure that justifies the snarky title...

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

The last accidents actually in Indonesia were in 2007, when there were three. Two operated by Adam Air, and one by Garuda Indonesia. The last fatal accidents involving an Indonesian airline were AirAsia in December, and a Susi Air Cessna Caravan where the copilot died in 2011.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost
I think there may be some confusion here; Indonesia and Malaysia are actually different countries. There was an Indonesian Airlines plane that went down in Borneo last year as I recall, but I'm not sure that justifies the snarky title...

Thank you! You saved me writing this out myself.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

Vastly different when it comes to aviation!

I will fly on Malaysia, and have often (very often actually). I will NOT fly on Garuda (twice was enough) (misting hydraulic fluid in the cabin on one flight just begging someone to ignite it) (stranded on a remote island with a mechanical on another which took 3 days to fix...with bailing wire, duct tape and channel lock pliers for wrenches (no joke either)). Flew home with the gear down the whole way on the second experience (they couldn't raise it).

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have found this place over the years to be a good for info aviation-safety.net...

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well....this is interesting. They were carrying $470,000 in cash to disburse to poor people near where the flight was supposed to land.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Well....this is interesting. They were carrying $470,000 in cash to disburse to poor people near where the flight was supposed to land.

Well...that explains it right there!!! It it was Indonesian rupiah...no aircraft on earth could haul 470k worth of that without stalling and crashing in the jungle!!! Shoot, 50 bucks U.S. will fill up a shopping cart with Indo currency!! And I'm not really kidding either, I've actually seen it!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
All 54 remains, and both data recorders have been recovered.

new topics

top topics

join