It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentally Ill In America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

T'ain't your fault and everybody knows something is wrong.

Everybody has been singing about it for years, which guarantees it'll never be fixed.

Peace and good luck.
edit on 18-8-2015 by MyHappyDogShiner because: not enough cafienne

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: wantsome

I think you should get a mad dog lawyer and sue both the UAW and Chrysler. They discriminated and rail roaded you out of your job. They will settle out of court anyway....

This is good advice and you should consider it. The longer you wait the more likely the cut off date/expiration date will pass. You have only so much time to file a case/claim (sue someone) it varies from state to state.

And learn to handle with these devils (blood sucking lawyers) most will want up to 80% of whatever you win. Deal with these bastards and negotiate at 50%.

Good luck.
I tried I called several lawyers and I was told in my state the laws favor big companies. I was told they can basically fire you for what ever they want. It's been too long now I was fired back in 2002.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I would like to thank everyone for the supportive comments. I would like to reply to all of them but there are just too many. I manage to get by day by day. I've been kicked in the teeth so many times in life I'm used to it. I consider myself lucky it's not worse and I'm still alive. You never know whats going to happen in life. My cousin went to a concert last month. He was drinking and decided to take a short cut back to the car. He jumped off a 7ft barricade and thumped his head on the concrete. He was in a coma for 2 weeks. He's got severe brain damage and will probably need to be taken care of the rest of this life. I'm just thankful I can walk and talk. I've gotten good at hiding my illness. If you met me on the street and had a conversation with me you'd never know I had schizophrenia. That's not always a good thing though because some people say there's nothing wrong with me. No I'm just good at hiding it. After going through psychosis twice I'm thankful I didn't have to go through life in a psychosis. I've met other schizophrenics that never came out of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802

Hi wantsome, I was wondering, is there any way you might be able to describe or tell us a little bit about what the reoccurring mental illness consists of? Is it voices of people you know or don't know that you hear, or is it something similar to situational hallucination where in any given situation you sort of wind up creating illusions or storylines that do not exist.. I'm having trouble understanding what exactly it is you have experienced up until know; it sounds as though it is the same "psychosis" reoccurring time and time again.. if you're able to share a few details, that sure would be interesting, but if you chose not to, I do understand..

One word of advice for you, if you are able to sleep in normal fashion, then keep up the good work with the jobs.. The most important thing for you and your future is to maintain employment: it is the one things that keeps you social, keeps you in normal routine and habit, helping to ease away the difficulties-- Also: maintain the best DIET possible: what people consume contributes to their wellness, mental or otherwise.. CArrot Carrot, Apple,Apple--CLEAN WHOLE FOODS will 100% contribute to your improvement.

Hi wantsome: do you think you might be able to answer these questions here? Just wondering what the double psychosis slip consisted of: I'm somewhat familiar with the topic;

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

It's not you, who is ill. It's our pitiful society.
Take a look at the work of Paul Watzlawick!

Heads up &

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

When I was 16 I started having strange thoughts that involved paranoia. I started thinking people were plotting against me. The paranoia grew into conspiracies that involved friends and family. It got to a point I quit leaving the house because I thought everyone was out to get me. I started having visual hallucinations. I thought people were in the yard watching me. I had this conspiracy that my step father was trying to drive me crazy. I started tying my bedroom door shut at night. I was having dreams that he was putting subliminal messages in my head. I was so convinced of the delusions that I almost killed him over it. I thought it was him or me in a survival type of way. After a couple of years I just got worse and worse. I lost all touch of reality. Then one day it was like a switch went off in my head and I started hearing voices. The voices weren't external they were internal. It was as if my own mind had turned against me. At first I thought the voices were people I knew. Then as my illness progressed the hallucinations evolved. I thought the CIA had bugged my teeth. Then I thought the voices were god after that I thought they were aliens. I quit eating because I thought my food was being poisoned. I went from 180 lbs down to 125 lbs. At one point I had actually gone days without drinking anything. To the point my lips were cracking and bleeding. I drank some water and was so convinced there was poison in it I stuck my finger down my throat and threw it up. I had no insight into what was going on I didn't think there was anything wrong with me.

When my mom took me to the hospital they said there were going to keep me for a while. I tried to walk out but was confronted with security. In the hospital I wasn't eating and I wouldn't take medication. At that point I had been awake for 8 days. I couldn't sleep because of the hallucinations. They gave me an injection of Haldol and Thorazine and it knocked me out. When I woke up the hallucinations had stopped but I was extremely drugged. I slept for an entire month. The only time I got up was to go to the bathroom and eat. It felt as though my mind was given an injection of Novocain.

After getting out of the hospital I had to learn how to have conversations again. My thoughts and mind were extremely disorganized. It was like trying to put a puzzle together but not knowing were the pieces went. After a year I quit taking my meds and had a total relapse. The second time the psychosis lasted longer and I had to start over again.

You can not reason with someone that has schizophrenia. You can not talk them out of a psychosis. In their mind they stuff they are experiencing is real. They did a a MRI study and they found that when someone is hearing voices part of the brain lights up as if they are actually listening to somebody. Looking back on it in retrospect it was as if my mind was dreaming while I was a awake. I was having nightmares and my mind couldn't snap out of it. The hallucinations were as terrifying as any nightmare a person could have. My mind and imagination had turned against me.
edit on 18-8-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Important thread and a very moving, and common, story.

The people saying Psychiatry is all pseudo-science and a method of control are half right ... especially in borderline, or "mild" cases of behavioral problems... and it is true that many psychiatric diseases have been "made up" to control unruly, but otherwise healthy, folks...

BUT (and it's a big but) as the above description of severe mental illness attests, mental illness can be severe and very, very real and can create enormous suffering... and, in some cases, death.

Our very selves are dependent upon a delicate, complex balance of chemicals in the brain and body... whether you think we have a soul or not, it does not matter, the brain dictates our interface with this world... and it can break.

Psychiatry isn't perfect... but it's one of the only tools we have, so far.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I just want to add- my experience is with mania, not psychosis, but I'm sure it applies- that when you're in one of these altered states it makes TOTAL sense to you at the time. It's only when you're able to come out of it that you can look back, face palm and go WTF?!

With mania it's like being on 10 lbs of crack...only you're totally sober. You're mind is FLOODED with every crazy thought you can imagine, and even if you try to filter there's still a lot of craziness that comes through.

What's really jacked up is that if you're in a state like this, people- yes, including police and healthcare workers- act irritated with you, look at you like you're crazy, get mad at you, attack you (happened to me)....there is no sympathy, no "hey, something is clearly wrong let's get you some help". I guess there are workers out there that are more compassionate (I was one of them when I worked in healthcare and law enforcement) but they are few and far between. As the first responders to people in crisis there is A LOT of room for improvement in healthcare and law enforcement.

* Sorry OP, I know the question was directed at you, hope you're not mad at me for chiming in.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

The people saying Psychiatry is all pseudo-science and a method of control are half right ... especially in borderline, or "mild" cases of behavioral problems... and it is true that many psychiatric diseases have been "made up" to control unruly, but otherwise healthy, folks...

BUT (and it's a big but) as the above description of severe mental illness attests, mental illness can be severe and very, very real and can create enormous suffering... and, in some cases, death.

Our very selves are dependent upon a delicate, complex balance of chemicals in the brain and body... whether you think we have a soul or not, it does not matter, the brain dictates our interface with this world... and it can break.

Modern medicine has come a long way since the early 1900's. The Nazi's would cut people open to see how they tick. Before that they believed that drilling holes in the head released evil spirits. In the 1930's they'd just lock you away in a psyche ward under horrible conditions. They'd perform frontal lobotomies removing parts of peoples brains and giving them eletric shock treatment. It wasn't until Thorazine came along in the 1950's that they gained a better understanding. In the 1990's there was a new class of drugs invented based off of Thorazine. The new drugs have given me a quality of life I can only be thankful for. Haven taken the older meds I can't imagine what it would be like going through life on them. John Nash had is way worse with what he went through.
edit on 18-8-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

No I don't mind. Most poeple don't know how to deal with someone that is having metal problems. It's hard to understand unless you've experienced it for yourself. I saw a video a while back of a guy having an episode. He was in a bathroom with a knife and the paramedics were trying to rationalize with him. They wanted to take him to the hospital. A cop was on scene and he walked up and shot the kid. The kid was only 18 years old. The cop shot him and killed him. He said "I don't have time to deal with this $@#!". Unreal.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
Actually no, I wasn't implying anything of the sort.

But since you brought it up...

Even if I were implying that prayer can cure the mentally ill, I would actually be correct.

Chris Spanbauer had a wife that was literally insane. His wife Christine would chase after cars like a wild animal. She was extremely demonized and even her children would not leave her alone with the grandchildren. Chris prayed in tongues for Christine many years until his wife was totally healed. At the time of her healing, demons left her body.

Then God spoke. It wasn't audible, but it couldn't have been any clearer than if it had been audible. These sentences formed in Paul's mind:" If you will go to San Diego and pray for this woman, she will instantly healed to my glory. And I will use this testimony to the end of her life to encourage women with hope."

The next morning, her psychiatrist, Dr. Appleford came to see her and immediately said JEAN, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU! Why aren't you crying? I have never seen anyone in my entire practice snap out of depression overnight." Jean told him what happened when Paul visited. Dr. Appleford said, "Jean, I'm a backslidden Presbyterian and I don't believe in miracles but what I see before my eyes is changing my mind."
CAN GOD HEAL A TOTALLY INSANE PERSON?

At a Sunday morning service, before public prayer was offered, a member of the congregation arose and requested that those present join in prayer on behalf of his cousin in Wales (7,000 miles across the sea from Johannesburg), that she might be healed. He stated that the woman was violently insane and an inmate of an asylum in Wales.

Suddenly, I seemed out of the body...it seemed as if I were passing through the atmosphere observing everything but moving with great lightning-like rapidity,"

I was inside the institution without waiting for the doors to open and present at the side of a cot on which lay a woman. Her wrists and ankles were strapped to the sides of the cot. Another strap had been passed over her legs above the knees, and a second across her breasts. These were to hold her down. She was wagging her head and muttering incoherently.

I laid my hands upon her head and, with great intensity, commanded in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, that the demon spirit possessing her be cast out and that she be healed by the power of God. In a moment or two, I observed a change coming over her countenance. It softened and a look of intelligence appeared.

Then her eyes opened, and she smiled up in my face. I knew she was healed. Doctors who later confirmed her recovery had no explanation to offer.

Three weeks passed. Then my friend who had presented the prayer request for his cousin came to me with a letter from one of his relatives, stating that an unusual thing had occurred. Their cousin, who had been confined for seven years in the asylum in Wales, had suddenly become well. They had no explanation to offer. She was perfectly well and had returned home to her friends.

Adventures in God

But as a result of what he went through, he finally snapped. He lost his ability to function as a human. So they put him into the Delaware State Institution for the Insane, and they decided the only thing they could do was an electronic lobotomy. That means he would be confined to being about a three-year-old for the rest of his life. But two days before the lobotomy, a courageous man shares the Gospel with him and Gary Whetstone said a prayer of salvation. He didn’t understand what he was doing, but all of a sudden after that prayer, he was in his right mind.

SID: Now there’s something I don’t understand. Did the car actually hit you? Were you injured?

GARY: No, I walked right out in the middle of the highway. A car literally, I remember it. I thought… I don’t know what happened. I thought I hit the car. I don’t know what I did but I was on the side and I just kept on running. ...the only thing I know of that car, I had to have gone through that car because I remember seeing her face. She saw mine on the windshield, and the next thing I knew, I was standing on the side of that road; and she was parked, just shaken because she was a State psychologist. She worked at the mental hospital and knew anybody with this shirt on and that hair had to be escaping.

SID: And you explained that you did escape, but you had just become a Christian; your mind that was finished; totally messed up; all of a sudden was clear.

GARY: Totally clear.

GARY: As it turned out about, oh my goodness, 12 or 15 years later,I’m pastoring a church in Delaware and this lady’s hearing my testimony. She’s one of the parishioners in a church; she said “I was the woman that was driving that car.I worked at the mental hospital that day that you escaped.” And she said “This guy with long red hair, beard, and piercing blue eyes came right up on my windshield. I looked at him, she thought she ran over me; pulled off the side of the road; and God spoke to her: “do not call the police. He is mine.”
Backup Link

John Waller, the famous Christian musician battled with depression for 20 years. During this 20 year battle against hell, that is against the battle of depression, GOD was slowly, every so slowly teaching John exactly what depression is.

After 20+ years of John Waller suffering in this terrible life shattering depression, JESUS showed John clearly that this was a demon of depression whom was tormenting him.

Now I know that probably 90% of Christianity thinks that depression is a medical problem, but I am here to tell you that you are wrong! Depression is an extremely powerful demon that once again if left UN checked, can ruin lives, families and careers too! GOD taught John Waller that if would stop thinking bad thoughts, while stopping all of the depressing thoughts too, that the demons would go away!

originally posted by: Murgatroid
This first video of Norvel Hayes tells about the miraculous deliverance of a 21 year old guy in Chattanooga, TN. He had totally lost his mind, but after Dr. Hayes ministered by praying for him all night long, his mind was completely restored back to him by the power of God...

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
OP: Next time, don't tell people you have a mental illness. That was where you messed up.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JuJuBee

The problem with that is that if you aren't truthful with them, then they can't accommodate you. And if you went into an episode they would have no idea what's going on. Then you could be fired for lying on your application.

But you're right. On applications it asks if you have a disability. If you say 'yes' -especially mental illness- your application is promptly filed in the recycle bin.

Basically you're boned by the illness. Boned the system. Boned by society. Boned by employers. Boned. Just boned.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JuJuBee
OP: Next time, don't tell people you have a mental illness. That was where you messed up.
I agree I thought I could trust the person. I don't talk about my illness to anybody. I have family members that don't even understand what it is like. I am fully aware there are a lot of stigma and stereotypes associated with being labelled as crazy. I new a guy for 2 years and would see him daily at a local pet shop. He told me he had a 50 year old sister with schizophrenia so I figured I'd tell him I had it. His jaw hit the ground he couldn't believe it. I am that good at hiding it. I had a girlfriend dump me when she found out. I didn't tell her an acquaintance did. I was waiting for the right moment. I wanted her to get to know me before passing judgement. She was a psychology major too. She dumped me because she was worried if we got involved and had kids they might have schizophrenia. I was bit heartbroken I really liked her.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Damn Dude...
SSI will help out in some small way.
Go see the SSI office in your area and apply.
It is small $$ but the bennys that come with it may help out.
Sorry to hear all this is going on.
My only suggestion is, stay on your meds.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogMeat
Damn Dude...
SSI will help out in some small way.
Go see the SSI office in your area and apply.
It is small $$ but the bennys that come with it may help out.
Sorry to hear all this is going on.
My only suggestion is, stay on your meds.
SSI is for people that don't have a work history or enough work credits to get disability. Some states include food money with SSI. SSI is a state run program. My state is becoming really stingy with it's programs. I use to get $190 a month in food stamps but I got a $7 raise in my disability last year. They said it was enough to put me over the limit.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Was there something traumatic that had happened in your life or in your family's life that could explain why the paranoia suddenly began? I imagine you had not been taking drugs, otherwise you would have mentioned something about them.

2. Had you ever, at any point in time, thought that maybe demonic activity had taken over your mental abilities? I know that the demonic realm plays an important role in some cases regarding psychosis. On that note, do you have a relaionship with some type of faith at all?

3. Have you ever thought that maybe someone had placed a curse or a hex or something against you? Sometimes that happens as well, depending on the company you keep or have kept in the past.. Paranormal explanations can and do exist for this type of thing.

4. Did you ever feel a physical assault of some sort by the energies that were manipulating your thoughts and vision? I am also wondering if you may have ever experienced a physical assault while attempting to sleep during the sessions of insomnia.

Maybe you'll have time to answer those questions there..

Thanks for getting back to me by the way

100% healthy FOOD only!!
edit on 18-8-2015 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

The problem is that most medication is entirely experimental, and the medication is dangerous in and of itself, causing some people to actually go into psychosis and even run the risk of harming and injuring themselves and others. Other medication such as Resperdal, actually led to causing cancer, so even though psychiatry is a tool that exists, it utilizes dangerous drugs and drug combinations, that when mishandled can be very dangerous and the cause of a following psychosis.

I guess my idea is to investigate the medication thoroughly-- nonetheless, if it helps then thats a good thing.

Psychiatrists should try treating with WHOLE FOODS-- eliminating the garbage we eat and are exposed to daily.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

There is also the idea that delusions psychosis and hallucinations are government caused. The possibility of Satellite terrorism, rfid chips etc embedded in people to torment them and eliminate them as part of a de-population program is actually very real.

Project Monarch etc.

www.iccact.org
www.mindcontrol.se
www.stopthecrime.net

Robert Duncan on government projects.
Dr. John T Hall on Satellite Terrorism
Jesse Beltran from www.iccact.org

These are all interesting sites to investigate on this topic.

At least you can sleep though: That is what will keep you eligible for the next job, and you will find the next job.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Illness is the biggest export commodity of the U.S.; especially after the nation's manufacturing industry was sold off and its education system took its malignant toll on its peoples' intellectual capacity.

Further, their egregiously insalubrious diets; utter aversion to physical activity; catatonic fear beset society; death weapons and armipotence worship; blinkered, slack-jawed jingoism; archaic religious idolatry et al. are factors explicitly designed to conspire to fuel said illnesses.

It's indeed a rich, well-wrought tapestry, the dumbing down of the United States of America; to be sure.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join