It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentally Ill In America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I don't have any answers for you, but I wish you luck.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Mental illness is the black hole of the medical community.

No-one wants to touch it.

Hell, Obamacare doesn't want to deal with it.

For the past 30 plus years, mental health facilities have been closing in the hopes that the problem will go away.

Which is like closing Oncology centers in the hopes of curing cancer.

Today, mental health isn't treated in facilities designed to treat the problem. It is ignored until a law is broken and then those with mental illnesses are placed in jails and prisons.

It's my windmill that I tilt at constantly at work.

Mental health does make money for the county, state, or federal levels.

It is ignored and relegated to jails where the people suffering are left to suffer and eventually die.

I wish I had some answers. I'm still looking and fighting for recognition of the issue in my area. It's frustrating.
edit on 16-8-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I found a new job making good money again and I though all was well. Except my illness came back to haunt me. I was under a lot of stress and I started having hallucinations again. I quit going to work because I didn't want my illness to show. I couldn't get out bed. The owner of the company called me and asked where I'd been? I told him I found another job and he wished me well. I got pretty depressed knowing I had lost the job.

My heart goes out to you wantsome. Many people have family members with the same illness so you shouldn't automatically expect that all bosses will be like that of your first employment. You should have explained your situation to the boss that rang and he might have kept your job open to you. Might not hurt to give him a ring again to see if theres any chance of employment.

In Australia the drugs are free and unemployment benefits easily accessible for people suffering from mental illness. Its a shame US doesn't care for the less unfortunate among their society. Guess that explains why US has the highest incarnation rate in the world, having jist 4.4 percent of the world's population but housing 22 percent of the world's prisoners.

Keep on trucking mate.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Well now. I think Murg said it best because i
am inspired. So now, I hope to inspire you to
maybe feel at least a little better about yourself.

You see partner, we all suffer from some form of
madness. You may simply be a better example of that.
I wish you the very best.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hear you.

I'm bi polar and adhd.

I had to take myself off of my medicine because the doctor I was seeing wouldn't listen to me about the side effects and I kept asking him for new meds. I eventually went manic and had to deal with the aftermath.

I have a hard time communicating with normal people like you do as well.

It's crazy man I hate this country. I think people here are narcissist arrogant and psychopathic. The family system doesn't exist. It's crap. Our culture of materialism and individual wealth above all else has done us a massive disservice.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Not only is there no support system in place, the mentally ill in this country are abused constantly. It is horribly sad to see what America has turned into now. A corporate fascist state run system with a fake economy. It's no wonder people are losing it upstairs. Living in America will drive you insane — literally

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I starred this post because it addresses a problem deep within the USA....there is a severe lack of funding and institutions to deal with and help people suffering from mental illness. I do not know the answer, but I do know that throwing people who are mentally ill into prison serves no one but the corporations that profit from the prison system that currently exists in America.

I also deeply admire you for your courage to bring this out into the open and I hope that you are able to find your way. Your post should be an eye opener for a lot of people.

I have a son who suffers from mental illness.... it affects more than just the person who has the illness....and it can place a severe strain on family dynamics even in the best of situations.

I wish you well my fellow ATS'er.... try to stay strong.

edit on R102015-08-17T00:10:21-05:00k108Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R122015-08-17T00:12:41-05:00k128Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I overheard some correctional officers talking a while back:

"Well you know, we ARE the largest mental health agency in the state..."

Pretty much. That's where shove mentally ill people, jails and prisons. Terrible.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Blimey with all that to deal with and you had to pay a grand a month???.
Stay strong and it is great you have made this thread, every experience explained to folk helps bring down the stigma of mental health.
Lets not forget one in five will be mentally unwell this year.
Good luck and continue fighting the good fight.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I would also like to express my empathy.....my husband and I both deal with a loaded plate over here as well.

Stay strong, never give up.

I know there are many challenges, but try to hold on to the beautiful moments.
Don't let the stress of dealing with both the internal and external break your spirit.

Sending hugs and well wishes.

~GE

edit on 8/17/15 by GENERAL EYES because: format

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Use 40Hz for brainwave entrainment to correct Cognitive Synthesis.
Use 20Hz, 10Hz, 5Hz, & 2.5Hz for seratonin production and turnover, and pain relief beta-endorpnines - and other "interesting effects."
The "War on Dungs" starts at the "Drug Store."
There is nothing "wrong" with you.
edit on 17-8-2015 by KAOStheory because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I am on disability for autism and PTSD and if it weren't for my parents, I would be in a worse spot. I started struggling a lot after graduating from college. My mom helped me get on disability (which took a few tries) and get housing help. I pay for all of my bills myself, and I get medical assistance, and I get food stamps.

I use CraigsList a lot to buy expensive things that I need and do other things like that to save money. I don't have much spending money, but my parents help me out sometimes when they can. For example, I got handed down my grandmother's television and some of her furniture when she died.

I am lucky to have a support system with an excellent psychiatrist and counselor and a lady who comes to my house a few times a week to help me with life skills.

My goal is to get off of disability slowly but surely! I am going to go back to school part-time and hopefully (this would be a positive outlook) be working in the next three years, maybe starting out part-time with 20 hours a week or something.

I have been searching for part-time work and tutoring in the meantime but am going back to school in the fall part-time.

I am lucky the system worked out for me, but it was mostly my parents who helped me out. They helped me navigate the hoops to get government assistance for one (someone who is disabled would have a hell of a time figuring this stuff out for themselves!), and are there for me with little things like making me dinner every once in a while.

Without my parents, I would have ended up in a worse spot.

The O.P. is doing really well getting those jobs! I wish him or her luck in the future. It is scary to think of what happens when his mom passes away, because I bet she is supporting him in a lot of ways.

Last of all, being on disability myself I will disclose the secrets: I get $730 a month to live on and $120 food stamps. I have to pay rent and electricity, and other things besides that. Like I said I need this help at the moment, but I am still hoping to work my way off.
edit on 17amMon, 17 Aug 2015 02:02:56 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I am on disability for autism and PTSD

see above post about frequencies. used in clinics for that as well.
see work of the Monroe Institute, TransParentCorp, and me.

If you guys need the tracks, PM me an email, will send them.
I use EEGs to verify they work.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: KAOStheory

To treat PTSD?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
better yet here's a short example.
you are going to need to actually WANT to change and be open to, and accept the brainwave entrainment frequencies, even tho they sound "weird." When you go to the "doctor" the shot hurts, but helps. When you take drugs to do the same thing, you get addicted and dependent.

This "shot" has no negative side-effects for you to sue for 3 months later, tho, so, to all of you "crazies," I mean if you want to be part of the pharm system and stake bs pills after bs pills (never seems to work? always a new one? lol) as always, which most government-certified drug-slaves dependent on financial aid don't even bother to do, then just ignore this. Otherwise, this does the same thing, for free, no side-effects. but it won't pay your rent, so, yknow...

soundcloud.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

To treat PTSD?

yessir. proven, not BY me, but i use the work to do so.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

To treat PTSD?

I did a 40Hz track for a friend who takes care of a guy in a coma, to play for him thru headphones off her phone.
He's not in a coma anymore, first movement in 3 years, after 2 weeks, 5 minutes at a time, 4 times a week with the track.
I can make no promises, and I never charge.
I just use others and my own research, and answer when people ask.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully people (mainly the welfare queen complainers) take the time to read it. Here's my story:
ATS Thread

Mental Illness is hard enough. But navigating the system is ridiculous! And when you're suffering from mental illness, it's damn near impossible AND no one is there to advocate for you! There's no one in place to be like, "Here let me help you." or even "Here's some temporary help until we can get you something more permanent."

You should apply for disability. You will be denied the first time. Then you get a lawyer and appeal. The whole process takes 2 years. In the meantime you should apply for Medicaid. They can help you cover doc appointments and medications. If, for some reason, you don't qualify for Medicaid find out if your state offers an alternative. Here in Texas there is a program called Lone Star that helps mental illness sufferers see doctors and get medications.

Social Security Disability doesn't mean you're not capable of taking care of yourself...but it will give you stability and relieve the stress of trying to survive and allow you to find a comfortable part time job and not go into panic mode if you lose that job. In a perfect world employers shouldn't be able to fire you for mental illness. In my case there were specific individuals who were the direct cause of my disability. The police failed me. The hospital I went to for help not only failed to help, they made my condition 10x worse. The court system is a joke. In a perfect world, the people who ruined my brain should be paying for my survival not the general tax payer. But, this isn't a perfect world. And it was kind of a blow to my ego too to have to apply for assistance after 16 years on the workforce being totally self-sufficient, but I had no choice. And it doesn't sound like you have much of one either. There are people trying to scam the system, but it sounds like you've got more than enough documentation to prove you're for reals.

Best of luck and you are welcome to PM me any time for advice.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

For someone who has never experienced mental illness it's hard to comprehend. My dad is like that. "There's no such thing. It's an agenda being pushed by the drug companies."

We're not talking about a bored housewife popping Xanax for her 'anxiety'. We're talking about hallucinations. And as Hefficide pointed out (one of my fav posters BTW
) PTSD isn't going to be cured by frequencies or anything else. PTSD is the main reason I'm on disability and your brain DUMPS stress hormones at the drop of a hat. All you can do is put a damper on the symptoms and avoid triggers. There is no cure.

I appreciate your zeal for homeopathic remedies, but sometimes there's nothing that can be done.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I think you should get a mad dog lawyer and sue both the UAW and Chrysler. They discriminated and rail roaded you out of your job. They will settle out of court anyway....

I had solid ground for at least 2 lawsuits....one lawyer took $3k and disappeared off the face of the earth. I contacted legal aide and got "We don't handle work disputes or medical malpractice." Thanks legal aide! Meanwhile I'm suffering from a new onset severe mental illness, trying to support a 2 year old, having my car repossessed, living in a homeless shelter and surviving on food stamps.

'Murica f#k yeah!!!!!

Plus, no employer is dumb enough to say "You're fired because you're mentally ill." Oh no. They concoct whatever they can and fire you for THAT. No fuss no muss. And no law in place will protect you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join