It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can atheist believe?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: eroutt

Knowing if someone is an atheist or theist is very simple

Test for atheism or theism.

Do you believe in a deity or deities?

Yes = Theist

No = Athesit

It is really that simple however, some get confused when those positions are described further.

Test for agnostic or gnostic relating to atheism and theism.

How certain are you about your position?

Completely certain = Gnostic Theist/Atheist

Not completely certain = Agnostic Theist/Atheist

There are variations of the word "agnostic" found in dictionaries, but they basically say the same thing.

In the case of "Agnostic Theist/Atheist" this one suffices.

2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
Agnostic

The confusion with the term "Agnostic" is generally because people do not realize that there are multiple definitions of the word. If someone says they are an Agnostic Theist/Atheist itis not the same as them saying they are agnostic. Someone saying they are simple Agnostic means they adhere to Agnosticism.

Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims – especially metaphysical and religious claims such as whether or not God, the divine or the supernatural exist – are unknown and perhaps unknowable.
Agnosticism

It is interesting to note that most Atheists will readily identify themselves as Agnostic Atheists. Unfortunately, a large portion of the population do not understand the terminology well so it is the subject of many conversations because of a lack of understanding.

It should also be noted that most Theist do not readily identify themselves as Agnostic Theists. It has been my experience that most are Gnostic Theists because they are 100% convinced that their belief in a deity or deities is correct. The question being Agnostic and Gnostic does not usually come up in conversation often with theism, but the terminology is probably even less understood within the group.

To the question from the OP. If someone identifies as an atheist it only means they do not believe in Deities it does not define anything else. If someone identifies as a Theist it only means they believe in a deity or deities it does not define anything else.

Either of those positions can have an assortment of beliefs on any other matter aside from the belief in deities.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnHealtyArrogance
I think atheists forget/cant think that in fact, we are moving unbeliveably fast as a planet, as a solar system, as a galaxy, there just HAS to be inteligent "force" to keep it all going, otherwise we would/already had crashed to another planets/solarsystems/galaxies.

no need for stupidass 2000year old faked "religion" to debunk atheists

Why does that force have to be intelligent? Gravity is a force we are very comfortable with. Nobody believes it to be intelligent. Chemistry is not believed to be intelligent.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I think atheists forget/cant think that in fact, we are moving unbeliveably fast as a planet, as a solar system, as a galaxy, there just HAS to be inteligent "force" to keep it all going, otherwise we would/already had crashed to another planets/solarsystems/galaxies.

I don't think you understand what an atheist is. We lack any belief in deities. That's what we have in common. After that, our beliefs, or lack thereof, are as varied as the number of religions across the world. I personally, do not believe in deities, but I am willing to entertain the possibility of an intelligence(s) far beyond my own. However, entertaining it and excepting it are two different things.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
All atheist believe in god when it comes down to life or death situation.
Like being in a foxhole in war, you learn quick to believe.

no, you learn quick to HOPE.

and i dont trust any concept that comes out of being stuck in a foxhole. people do/think/believe/hope for some crazy, desperate crappola in those situations.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I think atheists forget/cant think that in fact, we are moving unbeliveably fast as a planet, as a solar system, as a galaxy, there just HAS to be inteligent "force" to keep it all going,

And do you have any actual factual information to back up this certainty??

otherwise we would/already had crashed to another planets/solarsystems/galaxies.

I don't think you have any idea just HOW VAST "space" is!!

You can't debunk something that doesn't exist - and since atheism is nothing more than a non-belief in god(s) there is no bunk to remove.

You could prove it mistaken by proving the existence of god(s) - but that is not the same thing as debunking.
edit on 16-8-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: quote tag

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: eroutt

I don't know if i can label my self as an atheist. I can believe in something, But that does not make it true, Unless there is proof of what you believe to be true!

So do you believe in the law of gravity or is it known to be true?
What about evolution? Do you believe in evolution or know it to be true?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

So you are basically saying that when im looking at Venus from earth, it really isn't Venus or moving? how about these numbers 24, 30, 365, they dont tell you that we are infact moving (or they just circulate earth and we dont move on space)

Yes space is really VAST, I dont get what u mean with rest of that argument

As i said im just tryin to show that there has to be inteligent creator being behind all this, look real photos of saturn for example, not a manmade thing for sure..

(I personally know there are many gods, but im talkin to atheists who doesnt wanna admit that there has to be CREATOR)

Are you an atheist yourself?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: UnHealtyArrogance

Because we don't know that there HAS to be a creator. Being amazed by the universe and not yet fully understanding every facet of it's mechanics, does not point at there needing to be a creator with a personality.

There are four forces that seem to govern all of the physical reactions including chemical reactions, that occur in our universe. We can desribe them in detail with mathematics, and know beyond a doubt how they work under many conditions. These are what we consider laws. We might find ways to be even more accurate with our descriptions as more info is uncovered, but it is fair to say that these laws will never change very much.
Under extreme conditions our math doesn't quite relate what we see, but in time, our understanding will always become better.

With all that we know about chemistry and physical reactions, it is fair to say that the universe is most likely just a naturally occurring structure built by natural chemical reactions. Life would be inevitable in any universe that works like ours. There may very well be other universes with different physical laws. Our math tends to describe something like this being possible, but we can only speculate.

We speculated the germ, and then proved it.

We speculated the atom, and then proved it.

We speculated all kinds of chemical reactions and then proved them.

When/if god is ever found and studied, i will consider it proven.

Until we pull back a curtain and find god sitting there, i'll be a proponent of what the evidence does show.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
OK.
Goes down like this, look the saturn, tell me theres no powerfull being than man involved,
Yes I know about four courners, nothing to do with specific religion with me either, ( You seem to know who said this )
Think it like this that we dontsee densities which populate planets like mars and jupiter but we aint even supposed to, these powerfull entities can visit our density thought, (You might call it Alien contact...)

If you believe there's just emptiness after your death, I am sorry for you man...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: UnHealtyArrogance

don't be sorry - there isn't "emptiness" after death - you will be as you were before you were conceived - non existence

it is really very liberating.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

So you are basically saying that when im looking at Venus from earth, it really isn't Venus or moving? how about these numbers 24, 30, 365, they dont tell you that we are infact moving (or they just circulate earth and we dont move on space)

No - I am not basically saying that at all.

Yes space is really VAST, I dont get what u mean with rest of that argument

Sorry about that - I made it as simple as I could

As i said im just tryin to show that there has to be inteligent creator being behind all this, look real photos of saturn for example, not a manmade thing for sure..

Sure it isn't man made.

Why is the only alternative "god"?

(I personally know there are many gods, but im talkin to atheists who doesnt wanna admit that there has to be CREATOR)

Are you an atheist yourself?

Yep - and I find your arguments to be nothing more than your assertion - which are completely countered by my assertion - there is no creator.
edit on 19-8-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: quote tag

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

OK.
Goes down like this, look the saturn, tell me theres no powerfull being than man involved,
Yes I know about four courners, nothing to do with specific religion with me either, ( You seem to know who said this )
Think it like this that we dontsee densities which populate planets like mars and jupiter but we aint even supposed to, these powerfull entities can visit our density thought, (You might call it Alien contact...)

If you believe there's just emptiness after your death, I am sorry for you man...

your feelings have nothing to do with reality except your reaction to it. the universe is not dependent on your reaction anymore than you are dependent on an ants satisfaction at your dropped crumbs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join