It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxycontin Approved by FDA For use in Children as Young as 11

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I'm actually surprised that fentanyl was approved but Oxycontin wasn't. For those that don't know, fentanyl is the most addictive prescription drug out there.

There's other things I wonder as well. Generally in the pharmacy Oxycontin refers to the SR formulation. So is that what this refers to or oxycodone in general? And by that same token what's the status of children taking the oxycodone/acetaminophen combo most know as Percocet?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: chrisss

I'm not sure how drug scheduling works in other countries but in the US heroin is Schedule I. This means there it provides no medical benefit and cannot be prescribed. However when heroin crosses the blood-brain barrier it gets broken down into morphine.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I used to have a prescription for OxyContin. Then I moved to oxycodone. I've been a full blown heroin addict for almost five years now. It's such a slippery slope. I remember my mother warning me about opiates... I feel like this could only lead to bad things. Listen to your mothers, kids!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

The medical industry has given me 6 more years of life.
I agree the whole complex is F-ed up royally and just how addictive Oxy is, I should know.
It's a nightmare of it's own.
What I worry about though is parents taking the kids oxys.
Bound to happen and I can also see parents exaggerating the pain their kids are in to get them prescribed.
I know all the ins and out of hillybilly heroin.
It may destroy as many lives as it saves, perhaps more.
But for children in chronic pain I can see prescribing under controlled conditions for short to medium term use.
Doctors need to understand the addiction can start in as little as a week or 2.
People have to weaned off even small doses or they go through needless hell.

edit on 15-8-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: reldra

I wonder if they'll be chewables, with cartoon shapes.

Hah!!!! I seriously almost spit out my coffee when I read this!!! The sad part is I could honestly see it happening!

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

***WARNING!****Im going graphic here, as I think it is important to understand.

I spent years in the Burn/Trauma Unit at a major University Medical Center, where especially in the middle of the night, they would be changing the bandages on children severely burned. Some were over 80% of their bodies.

The screams of children being held down by 3-4 nurses and assistants as the proud-healing flesh was ripped from their open wounds, day after day sometimes 3 times a day...and even with "non-stick" bandages...were horrific..as they would become infected over and over. They would scream in pain as Silvadine ointment among other things was reapplied/w the bandages...only to ripped away from the open wounds/flesh repeatedly...over and over. Days..weeks...months in some cases.

Until you hear those screaming children as you watch the flesh ripped away from open wounds on their faces, privates, backs, arms and legs...you can only talk about the negative impact of this without experiencing what I have.

Occasionally...I still have nightmares of that. And now...I imagine more tonight..but I thought it important to this topic.

Mysterioustranger

edit on 16-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: REMOVING even MORE graphic content.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Oxycontin is for severe pain, medical marijuana may not be sufficient. Doctors consider the addictive qualities of opiates before prescribing them, I'm quite sure, this would only be offered to Children in extreme pain and only as a last option, when all other avenues have been considered. Personally, I'd rather my child be pain-free than screaming in agony.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

As someone who was on anti depressants and anti anxiety pills, this really puts the fridge in my cyan remote uterus.

I'd rather be scared and depressed then be dosed to the eyeballs. Sure meds can help but in many cases the side effects are worse than the cure. Nasty stuff.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

As someone who was on anti depressants and anti anxiety pills, this really puts the fridge in my cyan remote uterus.

I'd rather be scared and depressed then be dosed to the eyeballs. Sure meds can help but in many cases the side effects are worse than the cure. Nasty stuff.

Good for you. Doesnt mean this is a bad idea, oxycodone is an extremely safe opiate safer than codeine for children under 12. I am sick of the bad rep opiates are getting when the blame should be cast on the addict for allowing a drug to take priority over food and family. These drugs are extremely useful and powerful they should be respected as theyre not party drugs. Limiting people with ligitimate medical issues access to medicine is inhumane. Sorry if you drank the kool aid.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Children get cancer. Children have amputations and other complicated surgeries. Would you rather them be in pain? I wouldn't.
edit on 8/19/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: chrisss

I'm not sure how drug scheduling works in other countries but in the US heroin is Schedule I. This means there it provides no medical benefit and cannot be prescribed. However when heroin crosses the blood-brain barrier it gets broken down into morphine.

It has medical value but its risk of abuse is very high hence being schedule 1. Herion is used in many countries medically including canada and uk.
edit on 19-8-2015 by Acidx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join