It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Rockwell-Collins Gen 3 helmet delivered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The first redesigned Gen 3 helmet has been delivered for the F-35 program. It will begin to be cut into the production line next year, with LRIP 7. The helmet had hit problems with lag, and jitter previously, but after the BAE helmet was cancelled Rockwell-Collins promised to deliver a working helmet, and has succeeded.

The F-35 is seeing more and more success as times goes on. It's nice to see real positive momentum building up.

The crown jewel in the Lockheed Martin F-35 weapon system, the “Gen 3” F-35 Helmet Mounted Display System, has been delivered after more than a decade of development and will start being cut into the production line next year.

Produced by Rockwell Collins and Elbit Systems’ Vision Systems joint venture, the Gen 3 helmet has had a troubled past and is almost as controversial as the fifth-generation fighter aircraft itself, but will soon be ready for service with the first unit delivered this week.

Rockwell announced the helmet delivery in an August 12 statement, saying it will be introduced into the fleet as part of F-35 low-rate initial production Lot 7 in 2016.

It succeeds the less-capable Gen 2 helmet that the Marine Corps used to declare initial operational capability last month, and has been delivered as promised in 2013 when the Pentagon cancelled an alternative helmet programme with BAE Systems.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Cool! Seeing Rockwell Collins hits close to home as we have A LOT of them in Cedar Rapids. I also worked for Rockwell Collins for a year on the auto pilot system.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Some nice looking helmets.

I always wonder though. Why they don't do a virtual screen helmet with 360 of around the plane.
might be more useful.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So cool looking. We are getting close to the movies we watched growing up in the 80's of what the future would look like.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I'm STILL WAITING for my VR headset for home use.

Come on guys, I want to visit virtual reality here before I die.

I wonder if those F-35 helmets can cause headaches/disorientation with enough wear time?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Depending on exactly what you want, it is here bro. There are multiple products that are blowing peoples mind right now, and are available for a few hundred dollars by purchasing developer kits

Just the one I know the most about: www.bing.com... 684936274750&thid=JN.U7kcRaKA%2bip3u8S7gaqH8w&ajaxhist=0

It is called Oculus Rift, there is at least 1 other company I read about but don't remember their name that was even further along than these guys. Either way we are there man, we are just lacking bio-feedback suits to "stimulate" physical reactions!

The next few years are really exciting.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580
Ask F35 pilots

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

My nephew works for them in CR.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Do these things allow for blink commands from one's eyes? I would think that would be a cool way to control a system, using eye movements and blinks...

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

vimeo.com... well there is this

somniacs.co... suposed to make ya feel like a bird so we are getting close

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I'd hate to launch all my munitions at the same time if my eye got itchy.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

That'd be embarrassing. Accidentally shoot your wingman down because your eyelid twitched.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Your new call sign would be "spaz-lid dangerous".

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Quickest promotion to flight lead you've ever seen.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
If a fly got in there...

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure any weapon system is going to still require a physical button press for the near future.

But closing windows, opening new ones -- moving them around....all of that could be done commands using a series of blinks and eye movements.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

vimeo.com... well there is this

somniacs.co... suposed to make ya feel like a bird so we are getting close

Really?

The first man in space was in 1961. Eight years later in 1969 we put a man on Moon...the freaking MOON.

And this is what we have now 40+ years later?

I'm embarrassed for humans as a species.

new topics

top topics

join