It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow, this shark is huge!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I ran across this article on Gawker and thought I would share it here with the fine folks at ATS.

This thing is MASSIVE, scary and beautiful all at the same time. It's awesome to see a shark live long enough to make it to this size. Please enjoy the article below:

Deep Blue is one of the largest great whites ever caught on film, with an estimated length of 20 feet. That’s funny because she looks at least 5,000 feet long to me. In the gif above, she’s like, “Hey guys, my head is literally the size of your body lol.”

This week, shark researcher Mauricio Hoyos Padilla shared this previously unseen footage shot in 2013 off the coast of Mexico’s Isla Guadalupe. Padilla was also featured in the Shark Week 2014 special Jaws Strikes Back. At the time the video below was shot, Deep Blue was pregnant.

Direct link to video.

On Blue, Padilla wrote:

When I saw Deep Blue for the first time, there was just one thought in my mind: Hope. A shark of that size is at least 50 years old and that tells me protection and conservation efforts are really working. Deep Blue has been spared from longlines and the inherent dangers of being in the wild, and somehow she has found her way in the vast ocean.

They remain in this protected area for a few months but now there is a new challenge. This amazingly enormous female is carrying several little baby white sharks, just waiting to be swimming free in the ocean. When white sharks are about to give birth, they get close to the shore and deliver their pups in shallow areas known as nursery grounds, which are full of food and free of predators. Unfortunately, these areas are close to shore and are vulnerable to several human threats and Deep Blue, her pups, and fellow white sharks need your help!

Padilla is the general director of the conservation initiative Pelagios Kakunjá, which accepts donations here.

We should all be so lucky to look as good at 50 as Deep Blue does. Sometimes I love living on this planet so much, I barely can find words to express it. Sometimes a shark high-five (from this previously posted footage of Deep Blue) says more than I ever could.

edit on 8 13 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: For "bigger boat" references

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

edit on 13-8-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
If I ever see that in the water with me I'll be having a jesus moment...
As in walking on water.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That looks like one of those camera angle tricks. If it is really that big I will never swim in ocean again.
edit on 13-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Holy crap that's a big shark. "I think we need a bigger boat!"

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Holy crap that's a big shark. "I think we need a bigger boat!"

I added a lil edit on the op for you guys.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

watch the video.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

If I ever see that in the water with me I'll be having a jesus moment...
As in walking on water.

That's how my sister discovered her inner Jesus...a long, grey shark-like shape brushed up against her leg at Myrtle Beach several years ago and before I could say "Jaws", she was running (not walking, oh no) on top of the water. I don't think she even splashed once, either...and she certainly didn't look back. I was so amazed at the otherworldly phenomenon of my 6' tall Amazonian sister turned human hovercraft that I didn't think to ask what the hell she was running from.

She finally turned around at the shoreline and pointed in my general direction and yelled "Get out of the water! There's a @$#%ing SHARK in there! It touched my @$%^ing LEG!". She had left me there all by myself with this (by her description) Megalodon chilling right next to me in water so deep I couldn't touch bottom ( not being a 6' tall Amazon myself). Thanks, Sis.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I was so amazed at the otherworldly phenomenon of my 6' tall Amazonian sister turned human hovercraft that I didn't think to ask what the hell she was running from.

That's funny...I was fishing, up to my armpits, under the Sunshine Skyway bridge when two, what seem at the time to be huge, fins pop out of the water 6 feet away. I was surprised that I didn't become the first feces powered rocket. I'll bet your sister was grateful to have hit land - like I was. Thanks for jogging my memory.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I wonder who the crazy is swimming behind it taking pictures.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

That looks like one of those camera angle tricks. If it is really that big I will never swim in ocean again.

It is 20ft. If you are 5ft that is four times as long as you. So, it is pretty darn big. Then with it being pregnant, you have to add to its girth giving it that massive pregnant factor making it that much more impressive in size.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

That's funny...I was fishing, up to my armpits, under the Sunshine Skyway bridge when two, what seem at the time to be huge, fins pop out of the water 6 feet away. I was surprised that I didn't become the first feces powered rocket. I'll bet your sister was grateful to have hit land - like I was. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Bwahahahahaaaaaa! Day = made

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Damn that is a large shark ..i wonder how many fillets of fish macdonalds could make out of that sucker

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
am I the only one who cant see the video?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
am I the only one who cant see the video?

No...Looks like the link is dead now. The post is gone from Gawker as well.

top topics

join