It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority of New Driver’s Licenses Issued in California This Year are to Undocumented Immigrants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Undocumented immigrants have not hesitated to take advantage of a new law in California that allows them to get drivers licenses despite their legal status.

Undocumented immigrants have received the majority of new drivers licenses issued in the state in 2015, thanks to AB 60, which went into effect this year. That law allows anyone with proof of residency and passing grades on driving and written tests to obtain a license, regardless of their immigration status.

“We’re really just going to some level of common sense,” Angelica Salas, the executive director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, told The New York Times. “We’ve done in-state tuition and professional licenses for more than a million people. Lives have changed significantly, and the sky has not fallen.”
Link to article

So, if you're an "undocumented immigrant", you can just make up any name, date of birth, personal history, etc.?

Couldn't this work for American citizens? If you have a personal history you don't like, move to California, claim to be an "undocumented immigrant" and start over from scratch.

If too many people did that, they may have to put a new law on the books against "impersonating an undocumented immigrant." If one were to do it now, if the authorities tried to deport them, the person could just show their passport or other such identification and admit they had been lying. There would be no crime in that without a specific law against it, correct?
edit on 12-8-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You mean Illegal aliens?

Not surprised......

heh its funny, illegal aliens can get a DL , I bet now the left will have no problem providing ID for voting!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

No hablo Inglés.

¿Podría usted por favor, puesto esto en español. Es injusto para que usted acaba de escribir en Inglés. No sea un racista tales!
edit on 12-8-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If they have proof of residency, surely they are not undocumented?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The article should have read:

“We’ve done in-state tuition and professional licenses for more than a million people. Lives have changed significantly, and the sky has not fallen YET.”

Angelica Salas, YOU are the problem with this country. Saying "nothing drastic has happened yet so things must be fine"

That type of thing really pisses me off

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
We have to provide a birth certificate or foreign passport to get a drivers license.
Also proof of residency such as a utility bill.

I wonder if all those folks getting a new license in Cali are getting auto insurance? Hhmmm..

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Is there something wrong with illegal immigrants driving? The license doesn't give them the right to do ANYTHING else. It can't be used to register to vote, for example. It's a special license and not the same as a drivers license that a citizen carries.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

No hablo Inglés.

¿Podría usted por favor, puesto esto en español. Es injusto para que usted acaba de escribir en Inglés. No sea un racista tales!

Sorry mate, we don't speak Russian round ear. My interpretation of the above: The Spanish have favors of indescribable injustice but they are not under the sea with racist tales?

Anyone want me to interpret anything else?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It's latin, not Russian. As in latin-America!

*sheesh!*

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Is there something wrong with illegal immigrants driving? The license doesn't give them the right to do ANYTHING else. It can't be used to register to vote, for example. It's a special license and not the same as a drivers license that a citizen carries.

Well, let's see now...illegal immigrants should not be driving in the Country, because they should not be in the Country. If they were not in the Country, they would not need a license to drive in the Country.

Once they have their driver's license, of course, it is a lot easier for them to get to their place of illegal employment (where they pay no income taxes, or otherwise contribute to the cost of social programs), and to get their kids to their (free to them) schools, or to get to the Doctor for their free medical care.

Makes a person almost want to leave the Country, and then sneak back in as a non-citizen!

+1 more 
link   
In 1995 I was T-boned, in an intersection, by a Hispanic woman who was not paying attention to the road... she was looking for a payphone, saw one, and simply went - directly into my drivers side door.

As I was laying on the ground, with broken bones and a major cranial avulsion, the woman handed the responding police a drivers license and insurance card.

A minute or two later another car showed up, the woman told the cops it was her son, and they left.

A minute or two after that the police officer informed me that the DL and insurance card were both bogus. I had been the victim of a hit and run. It took me years to get my medical bills paid. The loss of my car was never compensated... and I had to sue myself, in court ( uninsured motorist ) just to get that.

Given my experience, I would LOVE if my state had a program to legally license undocumented immigrants. That way they can be held accountable for things like this.

link   
Well, then, I now know how to get my kid into the California University System at a discount. I'll just have him claim to be undocumented ... undocumented Missourian ... but who's paying attention. Then he can avail himself of fine institutions like USC or Cal without paying out of state.

After all, if you're not supposed to be in the country, why should you get a discount over a kid who is?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Damned illegal immigrants!

Now they can be legally mobile as they go around the nation selling drug to our babies, taking our fast food jobs and raping our white women. Next thing you know the Democrats will give them special gun-law exemptions and they will not only have sidearms, but fully-automatic machine guns on the tops of their trucks!

That's right folks....ISIS-mundo has come to Merika!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Go break into many of their countries illegally and try to claim similar privileges and see how far you get.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Four year old story about undocumented workers and tax fraud. It doesn't appear like there's any hurry to close the loopholes. This is the same government filled with people who think all our problems can be solved if we allow them to take even more of our money.

~cough~ Bernie Sanders ~cough~

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
Once they have their driver's license, of course, it is a lot easier for them to ...

Their licenses don't make it easier to do ANYTHING but drive. Pay attention to the FACTS. Their licenses are not the same as those for citizens.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: introvert

Go break into many of their countries illegally and try to claim similar privileges and see how far you get.

In many countries it's quite easy to get a licence and even citizenship. There's no need to break in "illegally"...most will invite you in.
edit on 12-8-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
So what happens when they do vote in the next election?

Will the left continue to make excuses?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
You mean Illegal aliens?

Not surprised......

heh its funny, illegal aliens can get a DL , I bet now the left will have no problem providing ID for voting!

And their voting was the purpose all along. Good plan, working well! The development of a permanent Democrat party majority.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

In 1995 I was T-boned, in an intersection, by a Hispanic woman who was not paying attention to the road... she was looking for a payphone, saw one, and simply went - directly into my drivers side door.

As I was laying on the ground, with broken bones and a major cranial avulsion, the woman handed the responding police a drivers license and insurance card.

A minute or two later another car showed up, the woman told the cops it was her son, and they left.

A minute or two after that the police officer informed me that the DL and insurance card were both bogus. I had been the victim of a hit and run. It took me years to get my medical bills paid. The loss of my car was never compensated... and I had to sue myself, in court ( uninsured motorist ) just to get that.

Given my experience, I would LOVE if my state had a program to legally license undocumented immigrants. That way they can be held accountable for things like this.

This is a great example in supporting giving DL's to illegals. Thanks for sharing, really helps understand both sides.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join