It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I get an applause please?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Many, many times since I have been here I wished I could have shown that member that her/his post is just simply awesome. A star (and flag if the OP) is good but it's not personal - if I can give an applause to that special someone they would get a little message from me, aside from a PM which I could also do, but I want to virtual-reward them you see.

ATS is her membership and in saying that can the board please table the possibility of altering the site to allow members to applause other members.

Even if that means earning applauses via posting history or something.

This is about the only thing I envy about the mods, other than that, awesome job, better you than me.

Cheers ladies.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Many, many times since I have been here I wished I could have shown that member that her/his post is just simply awesome. A star (and flag if the OP) is good but it's not personal - if I can give an applause to that special someone they would get a little message from me, aside from a PM which I could also do, but I want to virtual-reward them you see.

ATS is her membership and in saying that can the board please table the possibility of altering the site to allow members to applause other members.

This is about the only thing I envy about the mods, other than that, awesome job, better you than me.

Cheers ladies.

Such a system could be open to abuse...

I applaud you... you applaud me.... we all applaud together...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I like it.

I've often wanted an applause button but only to applaud the Mods...

But Korg has a point, too.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
on another board I frequent there is a "Critique" button that you can rate a thread from six selections ranging from terrible to above and beyond excellent. It is not used that often but there are times when the Critique section does come in as icing on a cake
edit on 12-8-2015 by 727Sky because: x

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Use a star.

Use a flag.

If you need more, then send a personal U2U thanking them for their point.

Much more personal and it takes a bit of effort, but in my view, one of the best responses ... because you had to make the effort and take the time.

P

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Get to know some great people that way as well.

Most the people I get on with here started via PMs over a well appreciated post.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
I do that by u2uing the member, or adding a little extra comment to my own post if I make one in that thread. I have also taken an applause u2u from staff, re-worded it, and sent it to a member. I like the idea though. It's more personal than a star.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
As it is, you can message any member with your applause. What would your proposal change?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Cheers ladies.

Such a system could be open to abuse...

I applaud you... you applaud me.... we all applaud together...

I agree with you, to be honest there seems to already a group here at ATS that post as much as they can and support each other in a sad need to get flags and stars, I cant prove it but I believe its true.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Say for instance that it takes 500 posts to get the ability to reward one applause - and in order to get it, it has to be 500 posts without blemish (mods clear it) - as soon as you get an off-topic or greater, the meter is zeroed.

Now, giving one of those out would be quite a cherished thing if it took that to actually earn it so if I was the recipient of one, I would definitely know that the person who gave it, gave a virtual sacrifice to do so, and it would be a definite personal touch.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
We do have members that alert us to posts that they think needs an applause. More often than not, it is a worthy request and maybe something that can work for you in the mean time. We like getting the good alerts far more than the bad ones as well. We can't see every post made here daily so sometimes we have been alerted to an exceptional post/thread that needed an applause that would have likely been overlooked or lost in the shuffle without the help of our members.

So while we can't grant you the ability to give applause, we can certainly look into any alert you wish to send on posts/threads that you may deem worthy.

A workaround if you will.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Wooohooo

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Say for instance that it takes 500 posts to get the ability to reward one applause - and in order to get it, it has to be 500 posts without blemish (mods clear it) - as soon as you get an off-topic or greater, the meter is zeroed.

Now, giving one of those out would be quite a cherished thing if it took that to actually earn it so if I was the recipient of one, I would definitely know that the person who gave it, gave a virtual sacrifice to do so, and it would be a definite personal touch.

That system would be a means of controlling people who post, ATS would become an even more non free speech area, I think the system ATS works is the best at the moment

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Just PM them or publicly state that you liked their post.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I've done this a few times...

I don't know the end result of whether the person received an applause though...

However what about Mods?
Can they receive an applause?

I've often wanted to applaud a mod as well and didn't know if it was maybe not applicable to staff so I haven't made a request to do so, yet.

Can we just do the same thing?
edit on 12-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I have done two things around this.

1. Alert the mods, saying this post/thread deserves an applause.
2. Send a PM titled APPLAUSE! (virtual) or something like that. There are no points, but it's the thought that counts.

I wouldn't mind having 3 applauses per month to hand out...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I can tell you that we do look closely at each request we receive.

Mods can not receive applause. The applause we have at the time of becoming a mod is the same amount we will have for the duration of our modship.

edit on 8/12/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Hiya Sublime, I used to send applause requests to staff by alerting member's posts. The trick was to never check if they got the applause or not. The worry was that, say, 3 requests succeeded and it'd go to my head (drunk on power lol) or that 3 requests failed and I started resenting the staff. The altruistic way was send the request and then move along.

Like others have said, complimentary PMs are also nice and I've had a few of them so can honestly say they're appreciated. Sometimes members post that they never get PMs so sending the occasional 'attaboy' or 'Cool post man!' has double the effect. We forget that some members are isolated by circumstances (disability, unemployed, travelling etc) and that little PM might mean a lot.

Another thing is that 'friend' feature is criminally underused. What better way to let someone know their input is valued? I see a lot of 'walls' that have zero friends and that's cool, but it's an easy way to show appreciation. I'm a SoB with that feature and should tale my own advice!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks Kanga, looks like an appreciative PM will have to do then.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
If everyone could give applauses, it becomes less meaningful.

Sublimecraft you're content here is awesome, If you gave people applauses that would be highly regarded.

One for you…

top topics

<<   2 >>

join