It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do women REALLY need Planned Parenthood?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
In light of the recent "unsavoury" videos that have surfaced with regards to questionable practice within PP, there has been a push from the right to defund PP, which has brought a lot of democrat politicians, feminists and pro-choice people out of the wood work claiming its a "war on women's health"

But is it really? claims were made across the board "if you defund PP then where will women go for their healthcare"

Well there are lots of places women can go for their healthcare, that also offer free services and that actually outnumber PP clinics 10-1

According to the pro-abortion Guttmacher Institute, 90 percent of the 8,409 “safety-net health centers” at which taxpayer-funded family-planning services were provided in 2010 were places other than Planned Parenthood. The vast majority of low-income women obtained subsidized family-planning services at: • 3,165 federally qualified health centers • 2,439 health-department clinics • 1,324 other non-Planned Parenthood clinics • 664 hospitals

So its not like an alternative isn't available for women, and the half billion in funding that goes to planned parenthood would be instead funneled to other clinics that offer a wider range of health services for women than PP

The bill from congress which outlines this intent www.congress.gov...

I know when i think of planned parenthood the first thing that pops to mind is abortion...

Even taking Planned Parenthood’s reported services figures as truthful, a review of Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s annual reports shows that the organization has had a dramatically shrinking influence in nearly every sphere except abortion and STI testing since PPFA president Cecile Richards began her tenure in 2006. The number of Planned Parenthood’s reported overall patients has declined by over 10 percent, from 3.1 million in 2006 to 2.7 million in its latest annual report. As Americans United for Life has documented, non-controversial services at Planned Parenthood, such as cancer screenings and prenatal services, have sharply declined

www.sba-list.org...

pdf of their annual report -www.google.co.uk... enthood.org%2Ffiles%2F6714%2F1996%2F2641%2F2013-2014_Annual_Report_FINAL_WEB_VERSION.pdf&ei=8S3LVa2VG8y0ab7cptAF&usg=AFQjCNG-KgpiEI9OQtoBPywtlI5Tmbn3P g&sig2=Oj80-ep-T88rHOXPWL6LIw

So in essence defunding PP wont affect womens health, and wont stop them from getting the services they require.

What do you think? if an investigation shows that PP have been stepping outside the boundarys of the law, should they be defunded?

source -www.nationalreview.com...

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
"If you like your Women's Health Services Provider, you can keep your Women's Health Services Provider".....unless someone decides to make them the target of a political attack based on propaganda and potential lies.

So far nothing has come from these videos and no wrongdoing has been proven. If they have not done anything illegal, why should we care?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
If they have not done anything illegal, why should we care?

Ah, but it is an ethical debate. If the accusations against PP are proven, and whether laws have been broken or not, it's a question of ethics and if there's a potential for law reform in that area.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

"If you like your Women's Health Services Provider, you can keep your Women's Health Services Provider".....unless someone decides to make them the target of a political attack based on propaganda and potential lies.

So far nothing has come from these videos and no wrongdoing has been proven. If they have not done anything illegal, why should we care?

the question i posed was, if an investigation shows that they have been acting outwith the boundarys of the law, should they be defunded?

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This is nothing more than a rather underhanded and somewhat viscous attack by the pro-life groups.

Two opposing groups and both have their extremist radical members.

It is all about telling others how they should run their lives.

All in all, rather stupid.

P

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus

If they have not done anything illegal, why should we care?

Ah, but it is an ethical debate. If the accusations against PP are proven, and whether laws have been broken or not, it's a question of ethics and if there's a potential for law reform in that area.

What's the "question of ethics" that you're referring to here, please? Can you be specific?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

the question i posed was, if an investigation shows that they have been acting outwith the boundarys of the law, should they be defunded?

What if 695 of the 700 Planned Parenthood groups were found "innocent" once again of these ludicrous charges ... would you be in favor of continued funding for the 695?

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Your source is a little bit biased.

Here is another source with a different perception.

www.washingtonpost.com...

To answer your question in the headline of your OP, yes, I think the women who have only a Planned Parenthood clinic in their area, with no viable choices nearby - really do need PP.

To answer your other question about whether PP should be defunded if what they are doing is illegal, I believe they should be able to continue offering their services, but maybe more definitive legislation could be written regarding what is and what is not allowed regarding tissue donation.

Defunding PP is what the pro-lifers want, only because they want to stop women from having the choice to end their pregnancy. They won't stop at PP. They will move on to the other clinics who perform abortions. That is their goal.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: kellyjay

Personally, I do not believe women need PP. Since women have existed long before 1921, what women really need is social stability, freedom to choose and economic equality - a stable relationship will top it all off, so choose wisely!

I worship the ground my mother, wife and daughter walk upon, how society can think anything different is beyond me.

I would much prefer a bunch of countries that don't talk to each other than a bunch of countries that bomb the ship out of each other.

True story.

Disclaimer: Hillary not included.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Yes, many people, men and women, need Planned Parenthood. The number of people who use their services prove that in and of itself.

Defund them? How about you break down what the funding is and put some more perspective on it.

The better question is does the world really need pro-lifers when the choice to be made here is a personal one?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
This is nothing more than a rather underhanded and somewhat viscous attack by the pro-life groups.

Two opposing groups and both have their extremist radical members.

It is all about telling others how they should run their lives.

All in all, rather stupid.

P

agreed, personally im pro choice, i dont like abortion, but i recognise that a woman has a right to choose....which is why abortion is legal, and that's where the support from me ends.

I dont however think that tax payers should foot the bill, i think if you want an abortion you should pay for it ,wether it be through insurance coverage or cash, i'm not a christian but i can see their point in why they don't want to fund abortion, and i think its up to the government to make it more fair for those who are against it.

fine keep it legal, but don't force those who are against it to pay for it..pay for it yourself.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

You know that in the past when states have defunded Planned Parenthood, they end up with explosions in STD rates? Don't believe me? It happened earlier this year in Indiana.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Yes, many people, men and women, need Planned Parenthood. The number of people who use their services prove that in and of itself.

Defund them? How about you break down what the funding is and put some more perspective on it.

The better question is does the world really need pro-lifers when the choice to be made here is a personal one?

if its a personal choice, then they should pay for it...personally

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

In regard to the disposal of the remains/tissues. Are they actually being incinerated? Should the tissues be repurposed for blood/cord banks for sick children if consent given? etc

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You know that in the past when states have defunded Planned Parenthood, they end up with explosions in STD rates? Don't believe me? It happened earlier this year in Indiana.

PP isnt the only place where people can get tested for STI, they dont even give out free condoms....other clinics do

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

They do pay for it personally. Tax money can only go to abortions for VERY specific reasons. See here is where your question in your OP is flawed. Defunding Planned Parenthood is only going to effect all the OTHER things that PP does, NOT abortions since tax money already isn't allowed to go to abortions.

This is why the quest to defund PP is seen as an attack on women, because it's going to damage all the OTHER support resources that women have for sexual health and wellbeing. NOT abortion related ones.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

if its a personal choice, then they should pay for it...personally

In response to your addressing of only the commentary at the end of my post, for the most part they do. Now address that funding bomb.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

What if 695 of the 700 Planned Parenthood groups were found "innocent" once again of these ludicrous charges ... would you be in favor of continued funding for the 695?

ho about you anwer my question first, then we can get to yours

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

PP isnt the only place where people can get tested for STI, they dont even give out free condoms....other clinics do

Read the discussion in that thread. We talked about that point already. I later proved in the thread that all the OTHER clinics had to play a large bit of catchup to account for the loss of services from PP, since they didn't provide the HIV services to prevent the influx of cases.
edit on 12-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

They do pay for it personally. Tax money can only go to abortions for VERY specific reasons. See here is where your question in your OP is flawed. Defunding Planned Parenthood is only going to effect all the OTHER things that PP does, NOT abortions since tax money already isn't allowed to go to abortions.

This is why the quest to defund PP is seen as an attack on women, because it's going to damage all the OTHER support resources that women have for sexual health and wellbeing. NOT abortion related ones.

all the other services that they can get from a multitude of other clinics?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join