It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Heterosexual Experiment. Ingrained Bias Or Social Conditioning?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Even the Interviewee says "heterosexual". "I want my kid to be like me and not like the heterosexual".

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I have an ingrained bias against these sorts of "walk the streets" interviews.

Since we can not know how many interviews it took to get the desired results sought, and make no mistake, those were the ones they were after, the "interviews", IMHO, can not represent anything other than the interviewers own bias'.

Do these interviewee's represent a certain percentage? Obviously. What that percentage is? Only the interviewer can answer...and I'm not sure I would trust anything they said, in the slightest.

These sorts of things do nothing to address the issue, it's more akin to picking at the scab.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: jhn7537

Well, to be more accurate, Homosexuals can, we have all the same reproductive systems as a Heterosexual. if you are talking with each other, than yeah we couldn't together, but we can still reproduce

Yes, I mean from that standpoint, I don't mean homosexuals can't, I just mean 2 guys together or 2 girls together can't, without some sort of intervention from a 3rd party.. Not trying to come off insensitive or anything..

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

originally posted by: Darth_Prime
a reply to: jhn7537

Well, to be more accurate, Homosexuals can, we have all the same reproductive systems as a Heterosexual. if you are talking with each other, than yeah we couldn't together, but we can still reproduce

Yes, I mean from that standpoint, I don't mean homosexuals can't, I just mean 2 guys together or 2 girls together can't, without some sort of intervention from a 3rd party.. Not trying to come off insensitive or anything..

And following that line of thought, because the inclination of a homosexual is not to pair with a person of the opposite sex for the long-term, it is less stable for the group.

Truthfully, the very optimal outcome for a human child is to be reared by mother and father as the best chance formula for socializing those children into what to expect as an adult from other adults of both genders. A little boy or girl learns from mommy and daddy how grown men and grown women should behave toward each other by growing up in the close company of one of each gender and watching how they treat each other and act in society.

I said best chance because a lot of things can skew that.

But when you have a situation where daddy doesn't want to be with mommy or vice versa due to inclination, it starts out skewed and the child stands to potentially lose that one gender side of his or her formative education. Like it or not, men and women are different.

And working our way down, two parents will be better than one obviously especially if that one is too young.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadFoot

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Try not to take it personally, I did say I'm trying... though sometimes I wonder why.

You do realize that HETEROsexual means STRAIGHT, right?

LOL! Bone75 does NOT know that "heterosexual" means straight, this is why I have been laughing my arse off as I read his comments throughout this thread. Bone75 is exactly like the people in the video. Now, how do you like that for irony?!

Btw, those people who "starred" his comments....those are the people you get rich off. Bless 'em!!!

edit on 11-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

a reply to: Hefficide

Well, biology states the hetero way is the only way for mankind to continue on, so it's not too crazy to think we're conditioned to react in a way... I don't think its american psyche or anything like that.. i think its our biological makeup

Well, biology also states that homosexuality isn't dangerous to us as a species, as it is still around even though it had hundreds and thousands of years to get 'eradicated' by evolution. Just saying.

I didn't say it's dangerous, but it's fact that if everyone was homosexual we wouldn't have a species to move forward... Heterosexual is a necessary component for mankind to continue, while homosexuality is not..

This is so irrelevant to the actual topic of this thread that I have no idea what to say other than you need to asses whether what you're trying to do is contributory or just a scripted response to a socio-political talking point.

... But, again, and ironically, it does confirm the suspicions of the OP, which suggests that people present a knee-jerk response to a popular talking point without thinking about the specifics or even the topic at all.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Do i really need to pull up old posts for you? What are you, like 12? There's a little icon at the bottom of every avatar. Click mine. Knock yourself out.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes
Firstly, they probably had to ask a hundred people these questions to find the one that hasn't a clue. These type of "people are so stupid" shorts are purposely edited or rigged for shock value. Which is why I really dislike them.

Secondly, why do you think it's only the American psyche with underlying bias and racism? Visit with people from any place or any culture on the planet and ask the right questions, and you will find PLENTY of ignorance, racism and hate. You will find carbon copies of this guy in every town, on every street, and in every niche on this planet.

I tend to agree, I see videos like this where a man on the street will ask minorities if they would support a tax on whites, women if they would support a tax on men, etc. Same concept, opposite ends of the spectrum. Always wonder how many people had to be asked before getting the desired response and then edit it down. Videos like this on any topic don't impress me. I would also be curios how many were asked and what the average response beyond the shock value answers were.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

'Hefficide', you've been truly done on this video!

The guy asking the question is actually asking those guys 'Would they be happy with a Homosexual as Prseident'?

If you look closely you can see his lips and then their is a voiceover just when he says that word to make it look like he said 'heterosexual'.

It's plain and obvious that this video has been produced to provoke people just like it did you.

You've been had and most everyone else has who watched it.

That's some serious reaching there buddy. I re-watched it and read his lips, he's clearly saying 'heterosexual', not 'homosexual'. This is easily provable as the third guy interviewed repeats "heterosexual" not "homosexual". If the interviewer had actually said 'homosexual' the guy would have repeated 'homo' not 'hetero'. I think the reason you're having problems is because the audio-sync is off by a few 100ms in the video.

I'm really disappointed with how impressionable the ones who agreed with you are... I expected more from ATS...

Benevolent Heretic - I didn't read far enough to see that you had replied to him.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's awake

edit on 12-8-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Do i really need to pull up old posts for you?

Nah...I have you all figured out. Btw, nice "bigoted" avatar. You are a class act.

What are you, like 12?

I'm 28 years old with MUCH free time on my hands (and a snob at times). Btw, God bless America for being the land of milk and honey. Personally speaking, it's a great place to make a hell of a lot of $$$. Don't you agree?

There's a little icon at the bottom of every avatar. Click mine. Knock yourself out.

Will do!

This is one of your most recent threads you created which is titled:
"African-American Statehood"

This is your opening post of that thread:

I'm curious as to whether or not this is even something African Americans would be interested in.

You're own little piece of America. You're own country to run however you see fit.

Not some BS Israel deal where something like 15% of the population got 50% of the land, but a fair 13%.

What would you say to such an offer?

You are certainly a piece of work. The good news is your mind-state represents the minority of Americans. The majority of Americans are kindhearted, intelligent, cultured and sophisticated. It's people such as yourself who are in the minority who make others very wealthy (including those who do not pay taxes there....). I have a serious love/hate relationship with these souls.

Since you offered me the incentive to "click little icons", I offer you the following to contemplate:

There's a menu bar at the top of your screen. *Click* on "Forums". Scroll down to the LEFT side of the page. It is there you will find the "Statistics" concerning ATS. *Pay close attention* to "Total members logged in right now" Vs. "Total GUEST visiting right now" and perhaps you will begin to get an idea of how much more people are watching you (and some others) make a fool out of yourself.

*The world (especially the intelligent Americans) do a face palm every time the likes of you and some others on this site play into the global stereotypes that make America the laughing stock among first world nations.

Smarten up!

...or don't!$$$

edit on 12-8-2015 by Involutionist because: grammar and punctuation SUCKS!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
most BIs do not consider themselves homosexual. and the number of people in the US that are BI outnumber Gays by about 60 to 1.
Texas is a strange state being bible belt few will admit to be gay or bi unlike states like Calif.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

That's all fine and dandy, but you haven't shown or even attempted to show that I'm like one of the idiots in that video who doesn't know what the word "heterosexual" means.

My first post in this thread addressed the question posed in the OP as it pertains to homosexuality, not the ridiculous Jesse Watters style video.

I didn't directly answer Darth_Prime's question because we've bumped heads on this many times and he knows I'm well versed on the subject.

Try to stay on topic will ya, what you guys did to Charles1952 isn't gonna work on me.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Some people--authoritarians??--want us to believe something unquestionably. We have to throw our full weight behind it. You cannot be for and against homosexuality! You cannot support it and question it.

I support it and question it. Hate me! I love the attention. Lol.

Same deal with science. I support special relativity and all of our science facts. But I still question it. Privately, I doubt it. I don't have absolute faith in it. I'll say I have trust in it, maybe. I have trust gravity will act as they say it will. I have trust in science. But complete faith? No.

That's not good enough! I must submit fully! Questioning is a sign either of mental illness, weakness, bigotry or something worse!

Questioning is an natural thing. But as we learn, we smack down those questions as we answer them. So by and large a person should not be questioning FACTS. And yet I persist doing it. People don't like it. They don't want to understand or can't I am incapable of knowing certainty.

I've come to understand a lot of people are like this. There're lots of greys in the spectrum, not just blacks and whites. Yet we--I think unfairly--get bunched up with the bigots, trolls, rioters, felons and insane.

But you know labelling someone a bigot or troll or rioter or felon or insane is unfair too. Most of us are a mix of things, not perfect.

EDIT: Cynic and contrarian are other examples of labels.
edit on 12-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Here goes a loss of karma pts (oh well,) I'm just here for the entertainment anyway.

That's all fine and dandy,but you haven't shown or even attempted to show that I'm like one of the idiots in that video who doesn't know what the word "heterosexual" means.

Your many past post clearly demonstrate that trait exist...

Btw, I find it very interesting (Freudian in nature) that you chose to use the word "idiot" despite the fact I haven't used that word at all. You seem to be more harsh on yourself than I was.

My first post in this thread addressed the question posed in the OP as it pertains to homosexuality, not the ridiculous Jesse Watters style video.

Fair enough.

I didn't directly answer Darth_Prime's question because we've bumped heads on this many times and he knows I'm well versed on the subject.

Which subject are you well versed on?

The subject of homosexuality; or the subject of bias and bigotry that is so fully entrenched in the American psyche...?

After reading your thought process in your past post, I feel you are indeed well versed on the subject of bias, bigotry and racism ingrained into the American psyche. In fact, you are a shining example of the mindset that plagues the culture of America. Again, lovely avatar...

Try to stay on topic will ya, what you guys did to Charles1952 isn't gonna work on me.

Voodoo?

All jokes aside, that last quote of yours above is not staying on topic at all, which is extremely ironic.

But since you brought it up out of the blue, I have to ask:

Who the heck is Charles1952?! Btw, if that was the year he was born, than perhaps it's best those old dogs go about their way....with their ways.

Fill me in: What happened to him? What did "they" do to him?

And what do you mean by "you guys?" Can you please define what you meant by that label?

Try to stay on topic will ya

Ok.

I don't think its social conditioning, I think its a natural defense mechanism. In fact, I'd say it takes a lot of social conditioning to get over the repulsion. I'm still trying.

I'm a heterosexual male who is always stuck between a mistress and commitment, which ironically, often leads me to phases of ending up in "no woman's land" at times (Tinder and boutique hotel parties are trouble for me) where I find myself choosing to pass time during these dry spells on social media entertaining myself with minds such as yourself. So, thank you!

Anyway, because I'm extremely attracted to women, I have to agree that the thought of homosexuality, or the thought of two men engaging in sexual relations is indeed foreign to me, and ONLY for me. Therefore, this is why I do NOT imagine, or even come close to entertaining these things within my mind's eye; it's not part of my natural make up.

Therefore, because I do not entertain matters that are not part of my natural psyche, I find myself accepting all people of all sexual orientation based on the content of their character. What one does with their own body, who they choose to have sex with, and who they choose to love, is none of my god damn business.

So, in stating that, I have to ask you to clarify a few things about your thought process. You stated:

In fact, I'd say it takes a lot of social conditioning to get over the repulsion.

The only way this thought makes any sense would be if you were actually attempting to go against your own sexual orientation and forcefully engage, or attempt to bring yourself to participate in sexual encounters against your own will with other men, due to it not being an innate part of your being.

Bone75, are people trying to force you on a daily basis to engage in homosexual behaviour and that is why you find it repulsive?

What do you mean by stating?

I'm still trying

Are you actually entertaining it within your mind; and this is why you are finding it difficult to get over the repulsion?

You see, I'm not repulsed by the actions of homosexual behaviour because I do not partake in such behaviour, nor do I entertain the thought in my mind as a possibility. It's none of my business what other people do sexually. Only those who make other people's business their own, may find it repulsing, and perhaps that is where the crux of the problem lies.

Or...

You may have suppressed homosexual tendencies that you find repulsive due to how you have been conditioned by family and societal values.

Again, the only men who would find homosexual behaviour repulsive, are those who are suppressing their own tendencies and attempting to hide the fact they may be "bi-curious" by displaying an "anti-homosexual" stance. They may be attempting to fool people by hiding the fact they may be entertaining the idea with reverse psychology tactics...

Or maybe:

Bias and bigotry are so fully entrenched in the American psyche that people engage in it without thought or even being aware of it?

Something to contemplate, yeah?

Btw, I did go through some of your post as you requested and in your thread "African American Statehood," I found to my surprise that you and I have somethings in common. I will share something deeply personal on a public forum. I too was a troubled teen who was constantly arrested for various crimes (mostly white collar and assault). Part of my probation entailed that I had to show up to school everyday; go to every class; and maintain a passing grade. As soon as my probation was finished and I received a full pardon from the province; I dropped out of high-school at 17. I started my own business (always been a hustler) at 18 and the rest is history.

I strongly believe in taking personal responsibility in life. Part of taking personal responsibility requires minding my own business; both personal and professionally; and owning up to my past and making good with my future. Those who do not will often resort to blaming society and others for their own failures in life and this is where much of societal problems stem from. Much of this lack of responsibility often leads to resentment, hate (bigotry and racism,) when one is living an unfulfilled life and are not experiencing the true currency of life that ALL people deserve - including YOU!

Now, 95% of the people I encounter in life are way smarter than I ever will be, yet, 75% have not proven it...to themselves. I call them "Daily Commuters" and they come from all walks of life and in all colours.

Now, back on topic:

I don't think its social conditioning, I think its a natural defense mechanism. In fact, I'd say it takes a lot of social conditioning to get over the repulsion. I'm still trying.

Still trying what...?

edit on 12-8-2015 by Involutionist because: grammar and punctuation SUCKS!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

The vid maker makes the wrong conclusion. If a person doesn't know the diff at the interview level its probably because they have a word comprehension/definition problem. Has to do with understanding the difference when they don't know the terms. Big words, technical terms. Try the same interview using colloquial terms.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Well, biology states the hetero way is the only way for mankind to continue on, so it's not too crazy to think we're conditioned to react in a way... I don't think its american psyche or anything like that.. i think its our biological makeup

We have seen the conditioning argument you refer to being applied to everything. Its just become a psychobabble term used condescendingly to explain anything normal to these adulated minds. Makes them feel better about themselves.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

What's your beef with my Zelda character?

How does someone who claims to be so full of wisdom, well-versed on so many topics, and nearly Jurassic know what the Ocarina of Time even is, I wonder.

Very peculiar.

I don't see many 60-year-olds playing 1998 video game legends on the N64 -- not sure what his point was, though.

Perhaps you're just overly fond of the songs of the forest skull kids, a very flamboyant melody indeed, but I guess that raises more questions than it answers...
edit on 14-8-2015 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

You did say American right out of the gate Heff

"Do you think that bias and bigotry are so fully entrenched in the American psyche that people engage in it without thought or even being aware of it?"
edit on 14-8-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

And yes it's fully entrenched into the older generations and won't die off until they die off. It's getting better. You can't expect everyone to get on board with the new way of not being like this. In another 30 years nobody will talk and think this way at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join