It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Symone Sanders, Bernie's new Nat'l Press Sec.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Bernie Sanders has added a new face to his campaign in hopes of raising awareness amongst people about his record and stances on certain issues.

His new national press secretary is a young African-American woman named Symone Sanders. Ms. Sanders is a black criminal justice advocate and serves as the national youth chair of the Coalition on Juvenile Justice, a nonprofit that focuses on appropriate care of American youth in the justice system.

Source

Though Symone Sanders began to interview for the position several weeks ago, her hiring suggests the campaign is working to attune itself more closely with the cause of Black Lives Matter protesters, who interrupted the candidate for a second time at a different Seattle rally on Saturday. Both the senator and his fellow Democratic presidential hopeful Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley were interrupted by Black Lives Matters protesters at a Netroots Nation event in Phoenix last month.

(Video)
Symone Sanders speaks at Bernie Sanders Rally 8/8/15

I think this is a good move. Hopefully Ms Sanders can bring unity to the cause and educate people on issues they otherwise may not have known.
edit on 10-8-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

I was working on a thread

I think she will correct the communication breakdown and overall she's a powerhouse, warm but powerful, vibrant even. I watched the Portland event last night live and her speech nailed it. Crisis averted IMO.

SF

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Thanks for the introduction.

I also think this is a good move on Bernie's part. I was wondering how he was going to address the concerns/interruptions of the BLM movement.

I'm also beginning to wonder if Hillary's campaign isn't somehow instigating the movement to orchestrate these recent interruptions of his campaign speeches.

It's kinda hard to not notice that there have been no BLM orchestrated takeovers of her speeches and regardless of how much the black community thinks the Clinton's have done for them in the past, we're still where we are today, so apparently it hasn't been enough. So why aren't they interrupting her speeches to voice their concerns? I wonder.

Go Bernie!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

I don't think it matters at this point. What matters in my opinion is moving forward, and how the campaign has rebutted efforts or at least hopes this will create awareness and unity amongst the BLM movement.

If anything, it's helped Bernie establish a speaker for the cause and bring his message as a supporter of the movement instead of being spearheaded by individuals that appear unaware of what his vision is; one that includes everyone while addressing the needs of the minority community and they're concerns.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well if this doesn't reek of pandering.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

It's not pandering. It's smart. I don't know a lot about Ms Sanders; however, her relationship to the cause of racial justice, something Bernie himself is fluent with, can help those that may otherwise been unaware realize that what you are fighting for Bernie has stood up to for decades.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

One of the actions he took was the coordination of sit-in protests against segregated campus housing, for which he was arrested.

Wiki

Then he moves to Vermont in 1968 and has been there ever since... a state with a whopping 1.2% black population. LOL!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

One of the actions he took was the coordination of sit-in protests against segregated campus housing, for which he was arrested.

Wiki

Then he moves to Vermont in 1968 and has been there ever since... a state with a whopping 1.2% black population. LOL!!!

And, what's your point?

Do you know why he moved to Vermont or are you trying to correlate this to his campaign as a smear tactic?

ETA: Leaving Brooklyn; Bernie Sanders Finds Home In Vermont

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

She is AMAZING! She's going to light it up!

Feel the BERN!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

originally posted by: Bone75

Wiki

And, what's your point?

Do you know why he moved to Vermont or are you trying to correlate this to his campaign as a smear tactic?

ETA: Leaving Brooklyn; Bernie Sanders Finds Home In Vermont

He obviously moved to Vermont because of its low black population (I'm just kidding, that would be silly)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
IF this isn't pandering then why did he wait until AFTER the #BLM fiascos to make this decision?

It's about the equivalent of saying "Look guys, I'm on your side, I have an African American staffer now."

The next line of questions that I would have, considering the subject matter, is how MANY African Americans were on his staff to begin with.

Why taut this now??

That should answer a few questions here.

Just seems like blatant pandering.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

IF this isn't pandering then why did he wait until AFTER the #BLM fiascos to make this decision?

How do you know when he made this decision?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Don't try to reason or present logic to liberals, those things are foreign to them...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

How do you know when he made this decision?

I don't exactly.

But I know that I JUST heard about his decision AFTER the #BLM incident.

Could have made this decision months back, but I suppose it served no purpose to tell everyone then

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I like Sanders quite a bit but I'm not sure that ingratiating himself with the BLM is exactly a great campaign move. He risks alienating many conservatives who don't agree with the BLMs goals or tactics.

The lady is good speaker, no doubt about that.
I'd just like to make sure Sanders actually gets a shot at the White House.
ELectronic voting pretty much will ensure a stolen election but at least his campaign would be seen as big middle finger to the establishment.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5

Don't try to reason or present logic to liberals, those things are foreign to them...

Kind of like facts to a right winger huh?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Her job began Saturday, the same day of the interruption. She had a speech prepared for the occasion...

Symone Sanders said her job with the campaign started Saturday, but the process of getting hired started three weeks ago with an hour and a half long meeting with the senator.

Source

Do you know of ANY politician that doesn't "pander" to the people he or she is there to help?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: jheated5

Kind of like facts to a right winger huh?

Kind of like facts to anyone aligned with any political party under the illusion if they just get their parties politicians in power then things will get fixed. You would figure after a few decades of minimal changes in a positive manner except for connected politicians / businesses the masses would wake up. Guess not

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

It's about the equivalent of saying "Look guys, I'm on your side, I have an African American staffer now."

The next line of questions that I would have, considering the subject matter, is how MANY African Americans were on his staff to begin with.

Why taut this now??

That should answer a few questions here.

Just seems like blatant pandering.

If we look at the definition of pandering politically, it would be someone who adjusts their rhetoric to conform to the likes of a certain group as to appeal to them.

Bernie has no need to pander to the BLM movement, his values and record, let alone his stances on issues already reflect his purpose, no need to tailor the message; just a speaker to bring the message across that identifies with the community it's speaking too; that's about it.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Good hire and good woman

#FeelTheBern BABY!

edit on 10-8-2015 by Gumerk because: Clarification

top topics

<<   2 >>

join