It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled vet rips cop who told him he couldn’t park in handicap spot because ‘You can walk’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

wow, thanks for sharing those videos. even though they brought my blood to a rolling boil i think it's important to see things like that.

police like that are no longer public servants but, jack boot thugs bent on power. its like we're witnessing the slow militarization of the police here in the states.

and it honestly makes me afraid for the future since the trend seems to only be escalating in every way.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
bet if it were a wealthy man getting out of a car with a HC tag the cop would do nothing.

not because hes classist and thinks only the poor break laws but because hes scared to ticket or harrass the rich. But harrassing the average joe is ok.

case in point. walking down the street the other day (last friday) and I see a guy park his $ 500,000 Lamborghini aventador in the red zone, on a corner. not the strait part of the red zones curb, but the actual apex of the corner. just parks it there with the rear end sticking out into traffic. pop's a HC plaque on his rear view and Saunters into some Ritzy cigar shop and dissapears into their private lounge.

leaves his car like that in rush hour traffic on Wilshire blvd (a major thoroughfare in los angeles). for two hours. cops around. meter maids around. people having to make their right turn from the left lane to drive around his car basically parked mid turn. usually cars are getting towed when this happens since he also left his car in a temp tow zone during rush hour.

nobody tows the car. the cops look but do nothing. meter maids drive past and do nothing. you'd think they'd all jump at the chance to write a ticket. but nope. not one person did their job and delt with this car.

wanna make a bet its because the person was rich. there was a avail parking spot in the back that even if he were handycapped would have worked fine. so why didn't he get a ticket.

a few weeks earlier I saw a meter maid happily write tickets to a bunch of old cars parked longer than 4 days. when I pointed out to the meter maid if she was going to also ticket the Mercedes s class parked the wrong way (facing traffic) for the last two days. she shrugged and drove off. thinking its because it's easier to ticket the defenseless or assumed defenseless than it is to anger the rich guy who might pull strings or sic his lawyers.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Well I guess I'll play devil's advocate. I'm sorry, but I'm a vet myself. I blew out my knee in the Army. I have 6 stents in my heart, and guess what? I don't use handicapped parking. A real soldier, if he can walk, he will walk. The handicapped parking is to give those who are actually disabled the opportunity to go in the place. Not someone who "walks with a limp". This vet needs to cry less. I have to give kudos to the cop for NOT escalating the situation. He actually tried to explain his reasoning instead of just "I'm the law". Was he right legally? No, but it didn't end up with someone dead. I mean, the vet is obviously black, and we all know how black on blue crime goes. I respect all of your opinions, and I'm not trolling. I just think the cop wasn't a total POS like he's being portrayed here. My 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Helious
I agree with the veteran but he shamed himself with his language and demeanor. It would have been much more effective if he spoke with condescending wisdom instead of the foul mouth aggressiveness.

I take that you never been in the military .

Swear with expression

How is he shaming himself ?

He was Cop Shaming more like it .

condescending wisdom ?

He was and with wit.

yeah that goes really far, just with a mono tone voice

stop help police ,

for a better explanation !! right to the Point !

www.youtube.com...

With the enraged cop it wouldn't of mattered

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well, stupidity, rudeness, short tempers and minor assault aside...

at least it didn't end in gunfire and someone dying.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Stories like this really get me. The guy wasn't breaking the law,
and the law is the policeman's business, if the guy wasn't breaking
the law, the cop should've left him the f alone.

Rebel 5

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ektar
There are people with heart conditions that can only do so much distance
but walk perfectly or maybe a lot of distance depending on each day...they
would look totally normal to everyone but they are not. Me mum could only
walk an extremely short distance & would have to sit. Someone who has NO
clue may observe her walking 10 yrds & think she's okay when she could no
longer breathe.
I am disabled after a hip replacement with on going complications & I am
too young for that category. I was left with nerve damage to both legs &
feet. I still need 2 operations...so I make meself walk every day regardless
of pain because it could be my last... I never know from one day to the next
how things will be...I try so hard to hide the pain & the disability...some people
will think nothing is wrong...but I could fall at any moment...the soles of me feet
go to sleep when walking. So I could appear as normal to anyone except close
friends & family. I hate taking the space...I am to have the cane with me at all times
& I also have other issues besides walking which constitutes a service dog.

So I really hope this veteran pushes his rights.

Cheers
Ektar

I had a friend that was 100% disabled. He had lots of problems and a handicap placard. However, he would not park in a handicapped spot unless it was a really bad day for him. I know how you feel. I too would leave it for someone that truly needed it if I could walk the distance. At one point I couldn't make it to my mailbox and back. However, the reason I can walk long distances now is that I didn't give up working on it daily. I also could be paralyzed easy if a nerve gets severed from the damage I have. So, while I can I will do what I can. I like your attitude and understand your pain.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
What a couple of spoiled, inmature babies.

Waaa. I'm telling mom.

Nu ah. Mom said I can park here cause my feet hurt.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Disabilities aren't always visible. There are all kinds of obstacles in a parking lot that aren't necessarily physical.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have been in that same situation. I am handicapped but not in a wheel chair. Some people, the ones with very small minds, do not understand that. You don't have to be in a wheelchair or missing limbs or have any other openly visible condition in order to be handicapped. Unless you have the disability, you are blowing smoke out your a$$ when you try to talk about it. Try living it for a while, especially when you know it will only get worse with time. Its not fun. And when some jackleg cop comes along and tries to tell you that you cant use a handicapped spot because you don't look handicapped...well, its pretty damn frustrating.

The worst part of it is that around here you see cops using handicapped parking spaces or just parking illegally, purely for convenience, all the time. At one of the local courthouses the handicapped parking spaces are nearly two hundred feet from the door. The entire front side of the building is a no parking zone. And every single day there are dozens of police cars parked there. The signs say NO PARKING, not Official Vehicles Only or anything similar. If they meant for police to park there they would have said so.

This is a very touchy subject for people who are handicapped and that cop was wrong from the very start. And he knew it too.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Your DL number is printed on your placard. The officer can be seen checking his license against what is printed on the placard. Once he determines they match - the 'stop' should be terminated. The officer attempts to prolong the stop by calling in his DL number. Once an officer has completed what he stops an individual for, any further attempt to find something else is against the law. It happened in the Sandra Bland case.

The officer is clearly ignorant of the law - yet they will tell YOU that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

www.supremecourt.gov...

RODRIGUEZ v. UNITED STATES

No. 13–9972. Argued January 21, 2015—Decided April 21, 2015

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join