It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SORRY England :YOUR TURN ,SAS to get watered down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The SAS is about to be another victim of ODD politics as they slash their own throats.
My condolances.
www.breitbart.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

But it is perhaps a bit too over the top when they die during training. It is kind of like doing your enemy's job for them, lol.

It will not make any difference to their ultimate performance. It will just prevent these horrible and wasteful, totally unnecessary deaths of young men and. I am sure soon to be if not already, women.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

People die in training year round, all over the world, in all militaries.

So what are they going to do when they pass selection and make it to the Regiment? Is the Regiment going to say "oh no we can't train today, it's a bit warm" or something?

How bout a deployment? "Sorry bad guys, it's too hot for us to come out and play. Next week it should be cooler, can we set a date for then?"

Quote from the article had it right: it ain't Boy Scouts.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

From now on test marches will likely be halted if temperatures rise above 28C (82F)

I don't see it as watering down anything , seems like common sense to me.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

NOT when you are training ELITE troops it isn't.
HOW do you think I dealt with 130 degree heat in Desert Storm?
Filled MANY sand bags there.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

This is England , temperatures rarely reach 28c yet alone exceed it so it would be a very few recruits that could be affected by this.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It's SAS selection. I thought "very few" was a given, and kind of the point.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

They are not changing the test they're putting in safeguards , if the test is halted because it's too hot I doubt that means they'll skip the test altogether , I assume it will be run on another day or at a different time.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Why? Because killing your own people is effective selection?

Don't be daft.

If more get through selection, they will still be whittled out inside the regiment a long time before they see a combat zone.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
All it'll mean is that there won't be the need to visit a coroners court and explain why X died, those who can reach the standard will still do so but all it means is those who perhaps over reach their abilities won't die and can return for the next enrolment

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It's not really fair to all candidates if some have to cross 30 miles of mountain when temperatures are mild and others have to cross when temperatures are baking. The test is based on endurance carrying a full backpack over rough terrain.
That's hard enough.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I suspect they may simply be paying lip service to the PC do-gooders that seem to want to interfere with everything nowadays.

I can't imagine the SAS compromising their values and standards for anyone.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

DID YOU read the responses?
THEY have NO idea.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hahahahahaha...they want to shut down training exercises if temps reach 84°F or so...that's a joke right? Our regular troops already see 100-130°F regularly in the mid East as is. Our SF guys need to be able to operate behind enemy lines on extended patrols with little to no resupply for weeks sometimes. How is this doing anything more than setting them up for failure? If you can't hack it during training which are almost all done in temps that are cooler than the current theater of operation anyway you don't deserve to count yourself among our elite. At that point you will be dead weight once you are thrust into the position of a 2 week patrol to find a special bad guy where there is no taking the day off due to heat...they'll just end up dying anyway. Garbage is what this is...straight up garbage!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

THEY have NO idea.

I have an idea of my country and the temperatures we experience in it , 28c is the exception rather than the rule.

Plus this from your source

test marches will likely be halted if temperatures rise above 28C

So it's not set in stone.

This story is designed to illicit the response it's getting , knee jerk reaction with no regard for the facts.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

This happens all the time.

There is a need for risk management. Many do not understand risk management allows the training or mission to continue albeit in a more controlled manner.

BUT somewhere up the chain you get a 'system gamer' who does not give a damn about Soldiers or the mission, just their career. Anything which might look bad on their watch will not proceed.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Looks like another army death - probably not SAS but nevertheless...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

Thats basic induction, could be a pre existing medical problem which was unknown, its not unknown for candidates to have problems with basic PT, unless things have changed a lot of training takes place of rather rough terrain with high cliffs etc so it may be just someone lost their footing and went for a long drop etc and until we see the report its all just pie in the sky.

top topics

join