It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe is one country!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Strange, I lived in Europe for 6 years. I never actually thought of the UK as a part of Europe, rather a quite separate set of islands north of Europe.

Europeans are all quite different: Here is my personal opinion rating of European countries that I have spent enough time in to have an opinion.

Most rigid: Germans, a rule is a rule is a rule; clean, cleaner, cleanest, can't be too clean, rake that driveway daily; safest country to drive in worldwide because they always follow the rules

Most like the US: French, I didn't find them rude at all and actually whenever there; the people and country were a great deal like the US; I went there often and was always struck by the great similarities between the French and the US Americans, but both countries would have a fit over the comparison

Don't ever drive there: Italy, the cities; traffic regulations are simply traffic suggestions and the middle of a double yellow line is in reality a two way scooter lane

Best overall food: Italy, generous and gooey and yummy (French food is really pretentious with tiny portions)

Dirtiest: Spain, pretty much like any Spanish speaking country, a little bit dusty and dirty everywhere, lots of wrought iron bars on doors and windows

Nicest: Netherlands (Dutch/Holland), salt of the earth people who are warm and seem to like everyone and seem to be really nice to everyone; they are never rude if you don't speak their language and if they speak yours are quick to change to the visitor language and are really nice about it

As to the islands: UK
Expensive!
Had to keep my stays very short/Ryan air in and out
Would have loved to stay for longer visits but way too expensive
Never stayed long enough to get to know the people, food really wasn't as bad as people claim

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: crazyewok
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Im getting pissed how some American posters on ATS (namely the fox "news" fanbois) seem to think Europe is one big uniform country with the same standards of living, debt, poverty, econoimics and politics.

Well, I also feel uncomfortable when someone refers to USA as a country using the word "America". Because America is a continent.

Very true America is : Canada, USA, Mexico, Columbia, Panama, Venezuela, Peru, Brazil, Chili etc.

So Americans are people from all of the countries listed above and those I didn't list who are actually on the continent of America.

When one says Americans, they are technically NOT just referring to US citizens but to all citizens of the American continent.

OP, you need to pick up a map! Americans start in Canada and end up in Chili and Brazil.
Pick up a geography book and take a look!

edit on 5Sun, 09 Aug 2015 17:32:29 -0500pm80908pmk090 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Very true America is : Canada, USA, Mexico, Columbia, Panama, Venezuela, Peru, Brazil, Chili etc.

You do realise Chilli is a pepper?

Chile is a nation in South America.

now about picking up that map

edit on 9/8/15 by mirageman because: heh!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
a reply to: grandmakdw

You do realise Chilli is a pepper?

Chile is a nation in South America.

now about picking up that map

Well burn my britches with that hot pepper, you are right.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
a reply to: crazyewok

I think we need to start by explaining how England is not Great Britain and then move on from there.....

Now I think I will watch some Major League Soccer and see how the colonials have been adapting to football that is actually played with the foot

And Scotland isn't part of England either

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Awesome post, S&F!

I totally agree! It does make some in the United States look like idiots. Some of the posts I see, I just do a facepalm.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Im getting pissed how some American posters on ATS (namely the fox "news" fanbois) seem to think Europe is one big uniform country with the same standards of living, debt, poverty, econoimics and politics.

IT NOT!

There are around 50 separate country's all of which are vastly different!

Pick up a GD geography book for once in your enclosed little worlds!

Man, join the club. People do the same thing with the continent of Africa. There are more than 50 separate countries there with their own diverse cultures, languages, climates, political situations, etc. But people lump them all together the same way.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: digitalbluco

Im getting pissed how some American posters on ATS

Well we could do the same. America is not just the United States. South America? Central America? Not all one country either.

And I recognize that fact.

I would not insult Canada by lumping it with the US of A

Yet another shot at the U.S.. Why the hell are you still here, I ask you?

Perhaps some day something positive will slip past your sneering lips.. Brits have imperialism sewn in to their DNA. The U.S. could care less about Europe. You've been nothing but a royal pain in the arse for far too long. A pox on you wankers.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
In not denying that their is ignorance, but those videos when asking Americans about countries but they don't know, to people calling Europe a country only half hardily, if even, reflects all of us.

In fact in at least one case, seen so called experts(from various places) arise about a country when before it was a widely discussed current event likely could not even locate it on a map, let alone know anything about it. Maybe the knowledge is just that, selective, when it comes to these things.

It's even possible that some of the people mean Europe in such manner as a country being due to the European Union and seeing it as one entity rather than many countries. That's not even to mention it political leaning wise that seems to bring certain opines for example: Europe, UK, Australia=Liberal, US=Conservative.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Well, I also feel uncomfortable when someone refers to USA as a country using the word "America". Because America is a continent.

Good point. Have had to bring that up to people before.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I feel you. We're right next door to them and some Americans have no clue what we are about here in Canada. But what did you expect from a nation who still make use of the imperial system of measurement, and where some lump North America, Central America and South America into one big "American pile"? Just scroll back through this thread...

Most Americans are kewl, but some need to be beaten with an Atlas.

edit on 9-8-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

What you mean Canada is not a US state?
Is not England part of Scotland.

I'm from Australia the land on top of the globe

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah I agree on the size...

Western Australia 2.5 Million sq kms
Texas .69 Million sq kms
England (I mean) UK .24 Million sq miles

Size does matter. and our beaches and our cute women and our beer and our....run out of fingers

edit on 9-8-2015 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: edit

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

All others are exported and bastardised versions which require a prefix such as American

We dont need a prefix - we call it Strine - look it up

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

How is it simple geography? Who actually thinks that Europe is a country? They might only because of the unitized monetary system. If someone were asked what is Germany, United Kingdom, Norway, France, Belgium, etc, they would all say countries. They wouldn't say states or cities, they would clearly say countries.

When looking at a landmass like Europe from an American point of view, especially if they are young children they would see all the countries as states in one big European Union, like it is.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

berenike

with a name like yours I think you are part of the Berenstain Bears' were once called 'Berenstein Bears' conspiracy, fess up

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist
I feel you. We're right next door them and some Americans have no clue what we are about here in Canada. But what did you expect from a nation who still make use of the imperial system of measurement, and where some lump North America, Central America and South America into one big "American pile"? Just scroll back through this thread...

Most Americans are kewl, but some need to be beaten with an Atlas.

Canada won't even let a person in if they have a DUI, does Canada export or exhile people with DUI's? no. Does any of that make sense? No, however, Canada is more American than Mexico.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

berenike

with a name like yours I think you are part of the Berenstain Bears' were once called 'Berenstein Bears' conspiracy, fess up

It has always been Berenstain btw. I was a youth when they first came out, still have the books and remember them being stain, always and forever, the Simpsons of youth in book form.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

One things for sure the UK will always remain at the center of the universe!

Well you have got the GMT time Zone, we however have Ayres Rock!

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Oh, but surely you mean 'centre' ?

Well picked up - crazyewok is a fifth collumnist

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join