It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe is one country!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yeah well I am ticked off that you people think your version of English is better than ours, they don't teach the british version everywhere now do they?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Of course it is we invented it.
It's called English
Battle commence lol
This thread could turn into a colourful thread lol...see what I did?.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Who cares, there is only one 'English', it is found in the UK.
All others are exported and bastardised versions which require a prefix such as American.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Who cares, there is only one 'English', it is found in the UK. All others are exported and bastardised versions which require a prefix such as American.

I agree with that. Period.

Oh Golly Gosh I think I meant to say full stop old chum.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Im getting pissed how some American posters on ATS (namely the fox "news" fanbois) seem to think Europe is one big uniform country with the same standards of living, debt, poverty, econoimics and politics.

Well, I also feel uncomfortable when someone refers to USA as a country using the word "America". Because America is a continent.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

All others are exported and bastardised versions which require a prefix such as American.

Why is it when British singers are singing they lose their accents?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Im getting pissed how some American posters on ATS (namely the fox "news" fanbois) seem to think Europe is one big uniform country with the same standards of living, debt, poverty, econoimics and politics.

Well, I also feel uncomfortable when someone refers to USA as a country using the word "America". Because America is a continent.

I hear more Canadians whining about that than folk from the US but we know full well that Canada is part of the North American continent here. Heck if not from geography lessons then from history and the story of the former empire.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: grainofsand

Some do, guess it depends on their musical influences when they were young. We do get US music over here.
Listen to Florence from 'Florence and the machine' who played the main stage at Glastonbury this year then come back to me with that question.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Only the Sassenachs do laddy.....

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well, to be fair. Every time I look at a map everything's moved.

I still can't get my head round penguins fetching up in South Africa. I mean, when did that move near to the Antarctic?

AND, there's an old thread on here about Australia moving. The person who started it was getting slaughtered, so I looked at a map and sure enough Australia wasn't where it should have been and neither was New Zealand.

I've got an ancient atlas somewhere and one day, when I can motivate myself, I'll dig it out of the garage and scan the bit showing Australia in its right place. Then I can prove the truth once and for all.

I've always had a theory that there are those who are good at geography and those who are good at history. You can't be both at the same time.

There's really only a problem when you know little or nothing about either...

edit on 9-8-2015 by berenike because: punctuation

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

You sir just won the internet.

Love them

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Sometimes I get the feeling that a lot of Americans really don't understand my sense of humour when I post on here.

I don't think they realise that we 'Europeans' (who are from a group of islands in the Atlantic that speak almost the same language as 'Murican) are quite happy to rip the p*** out of ourselves as well.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

I still can't get my head round penguins fetching up in South Africa. I mean, when did that move near to the Antarctic?

AND, there's an old thread on here about Australia moving. The person who started it was getting slaughtered, so I looked at a map and sure enough Australia wasn't where it should have been and neither was New Zealand.

I've got an ancient atlas somewhere and one day, when I can motivate myself, I'll dig it out of the garage and scan the bit showing Australia in it's right place. Then I can prove the truth once and for all.

I've always had a theory that there are those who are good at geography and those who are good at history. You can't be both at the same time.

One things for sure the UK will always remain at the center of the universe!
edit on 9-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
a reply to: grainofsand

Who cares, there is only one 'English', it is found in the UK. All others are exported and bastardised versions which require a prefix such as American.

I agree with that. Period.

Oh Golly Gosh I think I meant to say full stop old chum.
I laughed at your humour there, well a chuckle more than a laugh, but it was still an audible sound.
I quite like how us Brits seem to deal with either blunt talking or taking the piss out of each other way better than Americans (and I'm including Canada there), but the Aussies have a similar approach as well.
No BS, straight to the point, no bleeding hearts because "You offended me!", I like that.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I've got an ancient atlas somewhere and one day, when I can motivate myself, I'll dig it out of the garage and scan the bit showing Australia in it's right place. Then I can prove the truth once and for all.

Oh, but surely you mean 'centre' ?

Is someone spending rather too much time on an American site
Are you an undercover agent? Or (gasp) did you get turned?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Oh, but surely you mean 'centre' ?

Is someone spending rather too much time on an American site
Are you an undercover agent? Or (gasp) did you get turned?

My American made tablet haha

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

The only other people who tend to get the British self-deprecating and piss taking sense of humour are obviously the Irish and Aussies.

As for our colonial cousins across the pond, they can be incredibly insular in their outlook.
Many 'Americans' never even leave their own state let alone travel abroad and experience different cultures etc.

As far as I'm aware the US education system is heavily weighted towards a US centric viewpoint of the world and the events in it.
As a result I don't think people are inspired or encouraged to experience life in other countries.

To be fair I think the large distances involved with travelling outside the US and the obvious expense hardly helps.
We can just jump on a plane, train or ferry etc and within an hour or two we are in another country - the vast majority of 'Americans' do not have that opportunity.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
What a burden it must be, to be so much smarter than everyone else and to have to point your superiority out to anyone who may not be aware.

In fact its not about pointing out my "superiority" but to point out a vital fact to certain ignorant people who like to comment about Europe without having a clue on what they are talking about!

But this is ATS, you can jump onto any thread and find half the folk spouting on as if experts on certain subjects. This despite that a 5 minute trip round google would answer soooooooo much.

Also be careful , I was asked in a pub up here in Scotland where I was from, I replied Yorkshire. The woman then said "where's that?". I kid you not.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Also be careful , I was asked in a pub up here in Scotland where I was from, I replied Yorkshire. The woman then said "where's that?". I kid you not.

So where is Yorkshire mate? I thought it was the brand of tea I drink.

Now I am confused.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I live in North East England.
There's a young Scots lad who comes in my local occasionally.
The other day I was watching the racing from Goodwood and he asked where that was. I told him that the racecourse was on Sussex Downs and he asked where that was and is it far away from where we live.

Perhaps the Scottish education system isn't the shining beacon many would have us believe.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join