It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluten-Free Foods and Recipes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I was recently told I have an intolerance to wheat and gluten products, something I've suspected for some time.
As much as I love buttered pasta, good macaroni and cheese, french toast or a juicy cheeseburger...they don't like me...and the GI upset just isn't worth it in the end.

I've adjusted to having most sandwiches bread free: a nice romaine leaf works just as well....and truly a BLT is awesome this way.
There are gluten free crackers that taste far better than anything in the mainstream cracker aisle....and really those rice based crackers are just nasty!!!
Crustless quiches are wonderful...who needs the crust.

And all of these substitutions go well with my low carb lifestyle.

But, I'm still new at this...and I'm asking members to share recipes, substitutions or favorite brands of gluten-free foods.
Which GF pasta tastes the most like the "real" thing?
Which bread holds together and doesn't turn into a mess if you use mayonnaise?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Coincidentally, my wife at the age of 30, likewise discovered she was hypersensitive to gluten and since that time she has adjusted her diet to suit. We are fortunate to live in a town where gluten-free shops and markets are popping up all over the place (Fremantle, Western Australia).

Anyway, she took me and our 2 kids on her gluten-free diet adjustment over the period of about 12 months and it was an awesome experience. Now she doesn't collapse on the floor with stomach pains after eating a piece of bread, and I can still enjoy all the things I like too.

Check these recipes out....

Gluten-Free Goddess
237 Gluten-Free recipes by Jamie Oliver
Health.com - 15 Gluten-Free recipes
Taste.com - the Gluten-Free collection

**The Jamie Oliver site has some fantastic and quick spicy GF recipes - our favourite go-to for tasty easy to cook food.

ETA: Top 10 secrets to baking the best gluten-free bread

edit on 8-8-2015 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I've never had gluten free products, since I don't have problems with gluten. That said, I believe that I've seen gluten free pretzels and I think pizza crust. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I just went looking to see if there is gluten free pizza crust and I found something that you'll like. Not only do they make it but I found a recipe for it. You'll need gluten free flour, of course. So if you like pizza you don't have to give it up. You could also use it for sausage rolls. If you make your own pasta (nothing but flour and eggs) you can also make pasta that's gluten free. You don't have to give that up, either. I'm sure you'll find quite a few other recipes for gluten free food.

Gluten free pizza crust

You mentioned bread, so I went and found you a list of gluten free bread brands. I'm not sure how they hold up against mayo.
Gluten free bread brands

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Depends where you for gluten free recommendations. As same brands not sold in all countries. Generic gluten free flour make very thick pancake mix with a bit of gluten free raising powder (yes make sure it's gluten free.) Put this into hot oiled cast iron frying pan and turn down the heat flip when ready adding extra oil or butter cook slowly or put pan in medium hot oven. Makes like ficcaccio bread. Polenta cook then cooled in tray then sliced and fried, add favourite toppings. In nz can get really good gf bread and crap too some needs to be toasted but some can be eaten as a sandwich.

I been making yummy coconut flour breakfast bicuits lately.
Some good pasta brands too but I have a feeling you not from my parts.

Beware of hidden gluten or gluten in things you don't think should add it. Like a brand of peanut butter that had wheat in it.

I could go on and on of you want me to but I'm sure other people will have stuff to add.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
If your looking for a rice substitute try buckwheat kernels or seeds or whatever they are called, not sure of their carb status but yummy and so good for you.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
You can try pure oat, as its glutein is not similar to rye, wheat and barley. My Hubby and kid have both celiac disease and they can use pure oat products. It has been a relief as oat bread ( made from pure oat ) is better than other glutein free breads. Oat doesn´t work with everyone so it need to be tested.
Low carb and glutein free doesn´t walk well together, reason is that glutein free flour is heavier than wheat, meaning in same size of glutein free bread ( made of buckwheat for example ) has twice that much carbs and is twice heavier than bread which has glutein in it.
Glutein free baking you need to let dough rise and not bake it anymore after it has risen ( glutein free baking is a bit different than normal baking ) so basicly if you bake bread or buns.. you prepare the dough and bake it to buns etc, do not raise the dough but raise the buns as well as you can on the baking tray and put tray to oven. Glutein free dough do not rise again like normal dough do.. you can only rise it once.
To dough to make it more bakable you need to add either psylliym ( less than a teaspoon )or xanthan, psyllium is better to bread like baking and xanthan to making cakes etc.

Pasta products, well you need to test them out. We like Schar lasagne and spiral shape pasta, lasagne tastes very much same as normal lasagne

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Celiacs here.
For pasta this is my favorite, just don't over cook it. tinkyada.com...
For cakes that are better than any wheat cake out there, and for excellent pancake mix www.pamelasproducts.com... DId I mention that there isn't a single wheat based cake mix that can compare to the awesomeness that is Pamela's cake mix?

I have found that it is trial and error with the different flours that are out there. Never use tapioca flour for homemade Cream of Soups. It's not pretty. Rice flour works best for that. Tapioca does work well for baked goods or egg roll wrappers. I like almond flour as a batter for fried foods. Flax seed, amaranth combo makes for a nice tortilla wrap, do not use rice flour for these.

I have yet to find any crackers I am happy with so please share. And yes, the rice ones are horrid.

I am off to bed, but if you want my recipes for Cream of Chicken, Cream of Broccoli, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Potato ect. just let me know and I will post later. Same goes for my Flax seed tortillas.

I do a lot of soups and stews. It saves money. I have also learned to do a lot of oriental cooking.

If you like Marie Calendars frozen Chicken and Rice Teriyaki dish. I can duplicate the taste perfectly.
That brings us too san-j.com...I play around with these a lot. Sometimes adding more honey. lemon or apple cider vinegar to get just the right taste.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Thank you!!
Lots of stuff ot look at...and comment on........glad I won't have to give up bread.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Ok, I'm going to be shameless here and do something that I swore I'd never do on ATS. And since it isn't me starting the thread I can't be going against the T&C's right?

As many here know, my wife and I are bakers and chefs by trade and recently I have started writing our GF recipes.

www.amazon.co.uk...

That's the UK link but it's in AUS, Can, US and well everywhere actually. I'm writing a series and that's the first one to go up.

Gluten Free perogies...what more could you want? We sell our fish and chicken deep fry coatings to restaurants, our kimchi line of products are also GF of course: kimchihut.com...

What I'm trying to say here is that you can actually eat almost anything you want while still staying within the GF diet. An interesting little factoid is that only approx. 15% of the people who eat GF are actually full blown celiac. About 30% have a sensitivity but can tolerate it and the remaining? Fad eaters and health conscious eaters. GF is healthy, no denying it.

Something that I've recently been researching as well is that 99% of celiacs are North American. There is something to that and it isn't just a coincidence.

Crap, here I go off on a tangent again. Apologies to DTOM.

Jude

edit on 9-8-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I'll check those links...and since you're into factoids.....if 99% of celiacs are North American....can we go one step further and make the connection to GMO wheat?
I read a member here say they went to Europe and could eat the bread there....no problem.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: jude11

I'll check those links...and since you're into factoids.....if 99% of celiacs are North American....can we go one step further and make the connection to GMO wheat?
I read a member here say they went to Europe and could eat the bread there....no problem.

That's my connection as well. GMO.

What else could it be when you boil it down? When I lived in Asia where a lot of flour is from Russia many N. Americans living there claimed the same. Most Koreans never heard of Celiac.

Jude

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Some of those recipes look really great....this one for Japanese MIlk bread looks good and intriguing....and no kneading....a huge plus for me.
glutenfreeonashoestring.com...

a reply to: Skid Mark

I'm not sure I could do gluten free pizza dough....we've had pizza once a week for 20 years using frozen bread dough....and we've tried other dough, including from scratch and always came back to the store bought.
My husband likes and and I don't eat more than a bite or two of crust....since I limit carbs.....

But that list of breads

So far, I've tried the Kinnikinnick multigrain...and that is the one that doesn't hold up to mayo....tried it with a BLT. It would probably make great toast, though.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I am also Gluten intolerant, so I sympathize. But there are TONS of things you can do.

Quinoa pasta is most like the real thing to me. It's made with corn and quinoa, and it's a little expensive, but gives me the fix I need. Don't overcook it. There's another pasta in the pasta aisle that is GF. It's good, but it's GMO corn.

There are GF sections in some grocery stores. That's where I get pizza crust (a mix), cookies, pancake mix, etc. They're all pretty good. I like GF Pantry brand. Also Udi's bread is great, but it's small and expensive. If you have a bread machine, Pamela's bread mix is fantastic. Most Pamela's things are great.

I'm not eating ANY grain or sugar at all right now, and very few carbs, because I feel best on this way of eating. My arthritis is practically GONE! Well, it's still there, but it doesn't get inflamed and painful unless I eat carbs for several days in a row, so I just avoid them for the most part.

I'll post more as it comes to me.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Do you have a recipe for the coconut flour biscuits? I've heard good things about coconut flour....well, anything coconut actually.

I also want to try buckwheat.

a reply to: dollukka

Yeah, since I do lowcarb, not sure how much baking I'd be going, mostly trying for things like pancake mix and quick breads.

And, I'm going to look for a good baking mi from scratch....as they seem pretty pricey if store bought.

I did purchase Bob's Red Mill pancake mix online....should be here this week. Not sure if that brand is available outside the US.
I'm also not sure how gluten intolerant I am....or if the intolerance will get worse.....I mostly seem to have issues with wheat.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

We got the absolutely gluten free Everything flatbread crackers. They are excellent...much better than any breadstick we've bought commercially.

The Blue Diamond Nut Thins are worth a try. The ones we bought are the Pecan nut & rice.....pretty darn good.

Food Should Taste Good has some awesome tortilla chips...we tried the multigrain....

All three brands are available at Kroger's....and most health food stores I've visited. The flatbread was cheaper at a local HF store than krogers. Kroger's had the other two on sale.

I'd love to have the Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Broccoli Soup recipes!!!!
And thanks for the different flour tips

edit on Sun Aug 9 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: speeling

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I thought I'd see it by now, but here goes. A great replacement for pasta is zucchini imo.

If you can spiral or straight cut the skin of the zucchini longways, that can be substituted for pasta noodles. It stays firm and doesn't need much to cook it.

You can also use the leftover flat zucchini discs, with or without skin to use as a pizza base / dough. Put the toppings on it and bake. Similar to eggplant parmesan pizza to think of it another way.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
According to the packaging 'kinetic sand' is gluten free, not sure if you would want to eat it though.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I also use jytte flour for baking, the best thing in jytte flour is that its ready mix of glutein free grains, i use (original) jytte flour to make karelian pies and dark bread ( its a mixture of corn, rise and buckwheat ) this mixture tastes very much like rye, and for biscuits, pancakes, PIZZA dough and waffles i use jytte flour ( mix) ( combination of corn, rise and potato flour ) the light mix tastes very much alike wheat. Jytte flour has allready psyllium in it so it doesn´t need to add.. just bake lol

Jytte is swedish invention and it is available in US too
Jytte

There are some recipes too

edit on 9-8-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Did the Kinnikinnick multigrain fall apart or dissolve when the mayo hit it? I can imagine that being really messy. I hope you find a kind of bread that works. BLTs are too good to go without.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join