It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender Dysphoric? No cash to pay for the reassignment surgery?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
a reply to: nullafides

I'm glad you think its an extravagance! To some,it about life itself. Can you imagine being a woman trapped in a mans body? How about a man trapped in a womans body?

No, but it seems that 'transsexuals' can.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Yepp, makes it "less likely"...doesn't say, it won't happen.

Honestly, I'm appalled that it was ever even considered.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The article you quote from say's Gov. Jerry Brown is allowing it. I just want to point out that it isn't factual.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

You can cherry pick all you wish. My last response to you was that I am appalled that it was ever even remotely considered in the first place.

And this is my last response to you.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

I'm glad you think its an extravagance! To some,it about life itself. Can you imagine being a woman trapped in a mans body? How about a man trapped in a womans body?

No, but it seems that 'transsexuals' can.

Cant tell if trolling or serious......

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Has anybody here even considered that providing gender reassignment surgery to prisoners might save money?

The average yearly cost of an inmate in CA is about $47,000

I have seen estimates ranging between $17,000 to $100,000 for the complete gender reassignment process including the pre and post surgery costs.

For the sake of argument, lets just say that the cost of surgery is roughly equal to the cost of keeping a person in prison for 1 to 1.5 years.

Do you not think being gender dysphoric contributes greatly to the state of mind that would cause one to make poor choices in life? Would not solving the gender identity issue help that persons mental state considerably?

If solving the gender issue helps to keep the person out of prison after release, even if only for a few years, it appears to be a net cost savings.

But I know I am talking to the wind, as many people only think with hatred. They believe punishment without rehabilitation is the way our prisons should be run. This is great for the private prison business, but will never solve the underlying issues as to why are prison population is so large.
edit on 8-8-2015 by Dreamwatcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2015 by Dreamwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dreamwatcher
Has anybody here even considered that providing gender reassignment surgery to prisoners might save money?

The average yearly cost of an inmate in CA is about $47,000

I have seen estimates ranging between $17,000 to $100,000 for the complete gender reassignment process including the pre and post surgery costs.

For the sake of argument, lets just say that the cost of surgery is roughly equal to the cost of keeping a person in prison for 1 to 1.5 years.

Do you not think being gender dysphoric contributes greatly to the state of mind that would cause one to make poor choices in life? Would not solving the gender identity issue help that persons mental state considerably?

If solving the gender issue helps to keep the person out of prison after release, even if only for a few years, it appears to be a net cost savings.

But I know I am talking to the wind, as many people only think with hatred. They believe punishment without rehabilitation is the way our prisons should be run. This is great for the private prison business, but will never solve the underlying issues as to why are prison population is so large.

Prison populations so large due to almost all prisons being private owned and ran due to "cheapness" Also Judges who are getting kickbacks as well as prosecutors(who overcharge purposefully) and defene attornys(who get a cut to less than stellar defense) Its why they dont want to teaCH JURY NULLIFICATION because it cuts into their money.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

So if I get a arrested can I get a tummy-tuck? I would be a far more productive member of society with a tummy-tuck. I have stretch marks that are an inch across and it is psychologically debilitating.

I know the two aren't really comparable and that making that comparison is certainly insensitive, but c'mon now... There comes a point. I mean really.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

So if I get a arrested can I get a tummy-tuck? I would be a far more productive member of society with a tummy-tuck. I have stretch marks that are an inch across and it is psychologically debilitating.

I know the two aren't really comparable and that making that comparison is certainly insensitive, but c'mon now... There comes a point. I mean really.

And where is that point? SRS is in many cases a life-saving procedure. We are not allowed to imprison people and then deny them necessary healthcare.

When we have the largest prison population in the world and the prisons are filled with victimless drug offenders, the last expense we need to worry about is providing healthcare to transgender folks. As somebody else mentioned, it cost taxpayers more to imprison a person for one year than it does for an SRS.

It's like complaining about food stamps while we have a larger military than the next 10 countries combined.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

No but I can't really imagine taxpayers having to pay for it either. Let's see limited number of resources, California has large homeless population and a lot of hungry kids but the tax money goes for this? Nice priorities folks really Mike can now be Michelle as food banks everywhere are begging for money.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

No but I can't really imagine taxpayers having to pay for it either. Let's see limited number of resources, California has large homeless population and a lot of hungry kids but the tax money goes for this? Nice priorities folks really Mike can now be Michelle as food banks everywhere are begging for money.

You do knoe that the insurance companies in Cali cover it now so its most likely not going to impact the tax payer actually.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Definitely serious.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Definitely serious.

Well being gender dysphoric myself i was wondering. why so serious? lol.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Definitely serious.

Before I answer, a question of my own. What gender are you biologically, and what gender do you feel like you are?

Or since we are tossing the term 'dysphoric' around, does that mean you can't make up your mind how you feel? It's hard to keep track of all the new 'diversity' terms that are being used. We need a dictionary or something.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Or since we are tossing the term 'dysphoric' around, does that mean you can't make up your mind how you feel? It's hard to keep track of all the new 'diversity' terms that are being used. We need a dictionary or something.

Cute.

1) Dysphoria is a profound state of unease or dissatisfaction. In a psychiatric context, dysphoria may accompany depression, anxiety, or agitation. Common reactions to dysphoria include emotional distress or indifference. The opposite state of mind is known as euphoria. 2) A feeling of being ill at ease

This is no new "diversity" term. It's been around since the mid 1800's. If you don't have a dictionary, try using Google.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Par for the course in California. That whole state has become one Big Loonie Bin!

Next thing you know they will come up with something called "age dysphoria". I can see it now. Somebody thinks they are a 22 year old in a 50 year old body and are ready to commit suicide if they don't get all the cosmetic surgery they want to make them young again......at taxpayer's expense, of course.

To some, it's about life itself. Can you imagine a 22-year old trapped in a 50-year old body!!? Oh, the horrors! (sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Definitely serious.

Before I answer, a question of my own. What gender are you biologically, and what gender do you feel like you are?

Her eill post my answer to you this way. One of my fav shani twain songs says it best.

MAN i feel like a WOMAN.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Don't disagree with your comments about California but the rest of your post displays a great lack of understanding and zero compassion but hey, can't pass up the opportunity to make a sarcastic remark about trans people, right?.

Beside that, the taxpayers paid for nothing. the person was paroled so the state wouldn't have to pay.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: EKron

Don't disagree with your comments about California but the rest of your post displays a great lack of understanding and zero compassion but hey, can't pass up the opportunity to make a sarcastic remark about trans people, right?.

Beside that, the taxpayers paid for nothing. the person was paroled so the state wouldn't have to pay.

I am dead serious. Dysphoria is dysphoria.

There is gender dysphoria, species dysphoria, body dysphoria (biid). Why not come up with yet another thing to be dysphoric about and charge the taxpayers for it? A 22-yr old trapped in a 50-yr old body is just as much a reason as anything else (unless you have some bias against 50-yr olds and think they ought to just suck it up and deal with it.)

And btw, a 50-yr old having tons of cosmetic and body surgeries will no more make him/her 22 years old than a man getting his penis restructured and shot full of hormones will make him a woman. That doesn't mean I don't have compassion for his plight.

Dysphoria is an extreme anxiety that requires extreme measures to relieve it and if someone chooses those extreme remedies, who am I to object. Just don't hold the taxpayers responsible for the tab.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm sorry, your simplistic apples and oranges comparison doesn't cut it. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) and Body Integrity Identity (BIID) are not gender dysphoria. It's understandable though why those not educated in the science and facts of these matters might make that association.

For what it's worth, I'm not making any sort of argument that the taxpayers should pay for treatments related to gender dysphoria, in this country at least. Psychiatric/psychological care, hormone treatment and in some cases surgery are valid and recognized therapies when indicated to be necessary and I do believe they should be required coverage in private health insurance programs.

I won't debate your views on what makes a "woman". I've heard them before and know it is a pointless discussion with you. Believe it or not, I probably somewhat agree with you but this is something that needs to be evaluated on an individual basis and not covered by some hard and fast one-size-fits-all attitude/policy.

<< 1    3 >>

join