It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible garlic saucepaste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
There is no end to the uses!
This stuff, and variations of it, is one of those Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern "chef's secrets".
It's called "Toum", and supposedl;y originated in Lebanon or thereabouts.

(We're making a couple batches. One batch with a light organic canola oil, the other with organic EVOO.)

Without further ado:

Toum Recipe

Further discussion

Another link
edit on 8-8-2015 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2015 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

a garlic aoili type mixture....interesting.

I buy the garlic that is made into a paste using salt nd pressure. it lasts for about a week maybe in the fridge, but i use it all before then. Thing is: its not really very cheap (about $3/tube)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just one recommendation:

Canola Oil as made from rapeseed and is not really what I would consider healthy. You might want to try cold pressed virgin Olive Oil instead. Also commercially available Canola oil cannot be Organic as if it is, it is not fit for consumption without health risks (see below)...

Rapeseed oil naturally contains a high percentage (30-60%) of erucic acid, a substance associated with heart lesions in laboratory animals. For this reason rapeseed oil was not used for consumption in the United States prior to 1974, although it was used in other countries. (Americans chose to use it as a lubricant to maintain Allied naval and merchant ships during World War II.)

In 1974, rapeseed varieties with a low erucic content were introduced. Scientists had found a way to replace almost all of rapeseed's erucic acid with oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid. (This change was accomplished through the cross-breeding of plants, not by the techniques commonly referred to as "genetic engineering.") By 1978, all Canadian rapeseed produced for food use contained less than 2% erucic acid. The Canadian seed oil industry rechristened the product "canola oil" (Canadian oil) in 1978 in an attempt to distance the product from negative associations with the word "rape." Canola was introduced to American consumers in 1986. By 1990, erucic acid levels in canola oil ranged from 0.5% to 1.0%, in compliance with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

There's a surprise

A thread about food and the big monkey turns up

I'm gonna try this out, but I'm also gonna add some dijon mustard and cracked black pepper, one of theses days there'll be an ATS cook book

We'll call it Conspiracy cooking 101 LOL

Cody

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I knew when I saw the title and author that this was bound to be GOOD! LOL!

I would put this on everything! I would only use Real EVOO ... it would make a dynamite garlic bread spread... I don't eat bread, but I would put in on vegetables and meat.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Hmmm, I'd go with the olive oil too.

I'd also try a batch with roasted garlic just to see what the sweeter version turned out like.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The first time I tasted this stuff, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven....it's that good.

A local deli sells it, but it's not as good as the authentic recipe....somehow they manage to have dairy in the ingredients.

My problem is I don't have a good food processor.
And, any suggestions about an oil to use besides canola and EVOO...you really don't want the competing flavor of EVOO, IMHO.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

You can get one that is fairly low end (for the commercial grade) for just under 1k

RobotCoupe

i would love to have one in my house.
edit on 8/8/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'll be trying this soon: Toum recipe

It's an easier alternate recipe, using a blender. No food processor needed.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

WOW!!!!
looks very easy....and a good thing the quantity is less....that raw egg white will cut the number of days you can keep this by a lot.

Egg Whites

Raw egg whites can be refrigerated up to four days.
No cooked egg dish should be left out at room temperature for more than two hours.
Allow no more than 30 minutes to one hour to elapse when serving dishes outside in weather hotter than 85°F.

www.answers.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Yes...you're right about the egg white.
Many thanks for that heads-up.
I'm gonna try this recipe when I can use it immediately.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I also like their recommendation for high oleic sunflower oil as an alternative to EVOO!!

new topics

top topics

join