It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were given 50K and told to leave your country, where would you go and why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
What if you were given 50,000 dollars and the only catch was that you had to quit your job and leave your country, also pretend you have no responsibility's or family or friends to worry about. Pretend you have no ties and no worries.

Where would you go if you could go to any other country in the world but you had to stay?

What would you do when you got there?

Would you choose somewhere cheap and not work much or some where more civilized and get a job right away?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Canada because I'm only a couple hours away. I would homestead in the northern rockies/alaskaish area. I would hopefully only work for myself and my family. Edit * no one to worry about would be the same case
edit on 882015 by Miznchops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Its a small world, every where will be the same in a few generations, or less.

As a rule of thumb, warmer is cheaper, climatologically speaking.

edit on 8-8-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I would go to India. The cost of living is very cheap. On that money you could live as a wealthy poor person for thirty years still.

Or you could buy a little café in Goa, marry a nice local Indian girl and live happily ever after on the beach selling coffee, beers, fish curries, fruit juices and ganja to the tourists!!! Very possible with that kind of cash. Yes please!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I would move to alaska and fish and learn to hunt, living of the land and enjoying peace and quiet.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Greetings and Salutations-

#1) Uruaguay.. 22-1 exchange rate and the Gov't. just started selling cannabis. A 990' sq ft. apt. rents for $68.00USD/month in the capitol of Montevideo. Olympics next door in Brazil in 2016.

#2) India. More bang for Your buck and they like older folks.

#3) Anywhere else where they appreciate the elderly, is warm.

If it was just Me, I'd already been gone. I was medically retired in 2004 from Ca. I moved here to Flori-Duh because it is cheaper, better weather and if the SHTF Atlantis is right out there. Now it appears to Me that "THEY" are looking for any excuse to separate Me from My $$$. When I retired "health insurance" was part of the package, since Feb. 2014 I get $1207/month deducted from My police retirement for "Health Insurance".

I currently have a Wife of 25 years AND Her Mother who just had a stroke. If it was just Me, I'd sign all My holdings to My son and beat feet.

Here is to "Boat Drinks"

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ecuador if i had no ties to anywhere else.
It is very easy to get citizenship,the banks down there still pay out decent interest on deposits for instance a friend of a friend who lives there has around 50k in an Ecuardorian bank and makes around $350 a month which for him is more than enough to live on.
There is a large ex pat community and the place is cheap.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

68 dollars a month rent? That is unreal! You could stay for quite a while on 50K.

What could a strapping young fella do there for work to supplement himself. Does being well educated but not accredited hold any water when looking for opportunity in 3rd world country's?

Say you were a certified airplane mechanic, do you think that would be a valuable skill in poor country's?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
You could teach English.

Sal

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I would either go to one of two places.

First, Sweden. I know friends that have moved their and say they would never move back. High taxes but the services you get in return, for example education, are very good.

Second, Iceland. Just because its a crazy place with really open minded crazy (in a good way) people.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
You could teach English.

Sal

Very good point, that didn't occur to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Realistically speaking I would go to Canada because it is close to home and they speak English and have a stable government. I would just have to learn to live with the cold weather. I would probably settle in a scenic mountain town rather than a big city. The money wouldn't last long so I would have to get a job. What kind of work I would do depends on the town I live in probably.

Sal

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Back to Naples, Italy.

Grew up there as a teenager while my dad was stationed there. Loved the place.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Iceland, the only country to jail its bankers after the crash... and it's beautiful.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: nonjudgementalist

They also peacefully overthrew their country's government and re-wrote their constitution.

Iceland is awesome!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonjudgementalist
Iceland, the only country to jail its bankers after the crash... and it's beautiful.

Yes that was an amazing feat. They are doing pretty well now.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
1st choice would be Austria for their culture, architecture and food.
2nd would be Amsterdam for their live and let live attitudes and partying ways.
3rd choice is between Rio De Janeiro and Buenos Aires, because from my point
of view these are the two safest and most fun places in South America.
And I have to add Spain as an option as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I had all this figured out a few years ago. I was planning to go off to the Himalayas.

I'd heard how much the average yearly wage was and multiplied it a bit by how much more I might need to live on yearly and for how many years I thought it would be before I popped my clogs.

I was planning to have all my books carted up the mountains on donkeys and could envisage a small house by a stream with a generator handy.

I was thinking of getting a yak and a goat and perhaps befriending a few local strays. Off I'd go each day, strolling up the mountains with my animals, admiring the view and taking a book to read. How beautiful the sunsets would have been and I could tuck myself up cosily in the evenings and do more reading.

Ah well, that was in the days before I got the internet at home. No more book reading for me, and I don't expect I could get very reliable broadband up in the Himalayas.

I'm not sure where else I'd want to go to, though. Perhaps I'd not take the 50k.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

What would you do to supplement your income once you were established?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

That sounded like a nice life to me.

Screw the internet, I would way rather do that.

It just sounds to me like you are happy where you are and that is a good thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join