It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Value of ATS Has Declined Over Time (at least for me)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I've seen how much this place has changed, yes.

This seems to be the bulk of replies now. 1 word? 3 words? 1 very short sentence? An emoji? A short joke? This is what most of the replies are anymore. Either that or it's just two people arguing, not helping each other and instead just insulting back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Stuff like that used to get removed, but it doesn't seem to anymore.

The other big thing I've noticed is the mass amount of new threads just copy/pasted from other websites without the OPs opinion on it or what they are even wanting to discuss about it which leaves those big warnings at the bottom of it that seems to have become the norm.

And what's with all the swearing now? F#@& S@#^ etc.. I see in the thread titles now. Stuff like that didn't used to be allowed.

Not bashing ATS here, just some observations.

edit on 8/8/2015 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What dissuades me the most from posting or even coming here, is the paradoxical adherence to dogma.
It coalesces into a palpably effete sense of "intellectualism".

Dare question? Get slapped down.

Didn't you know this was "already proven wrong several threads ago"?

There is even a sense of urgency in rushing to be the first one to slam the person, and not even truly consider their idea.

I am sick of believers. I am sick of the believers that don't even realize they are touting the official line. Be it in politics, science, religion, or even in conceptual thought.

What happened to discourse? Discussion? Hearing someone out? Asking questions to attempt to come to a better degree of understanding why the other person is saying what they are saying, regardless of your own personal belief?

If someone tells me the moon is made out of cheese, I am not in the slightest bit interested in proving them wrong. I for one am interested in coming to a better understanding of the basis of their belief and why they believe that in the first place.

ATS and "Deny Ignorance" has become such a crab barrel that I've even been mocked for my "big words". Funny. I simply use the words that best convey my thoughts. To me, they are just the most succinct and direct method for the transfer.
edit on 8-8-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
OP...

One good sighting. One good piece of video.

This place will be hoping.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: jude11

a reply to: intunewithmyself

Is ATS a discussion board or an agreement board?

You have an idea. I disagree with your idea. Am I not allowed to comment with my disagreement? Should people only comment on things that they agree with?

I'll concede that the manner in which some people engage in debate leaves something to be desired, but I'm fairly certain we're supposed to discuss things here and not just a) stay quiet about our opinions or b) post with "well your spaghetti monster idea sure sounds neat! and then move on.

But maybe I have a weird definition of "discussion."

I don't agree...

Jude

I would prefer that you had either agreed or ignored my comment.

For future reference.

And I would prefer that you recognize sarcasm when it's presented.

But if not, ok I agree.

Jude

And I would prefer you do the same, as you clearly missed mine which was in response to yours.

Sarcasm Class dismissed.

Winner = Shamrock.

I think we both need to take the class again because mine was also made in jest.

We're starting to take ourselves much seriously these days.

I call a draw.

Jude

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I would like to add, that being a believer is not really the problem. Many people confuse a good discussion with a rather bloddy crusade and disturb any atmosphere of constructive debate with dogmatic barbarism.

To cite Orwell here:

Unboot ATS! Make fun about stuff like that, I promise: it's pretty much fun after all.
And it works, sometimes.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

I'm not certain you got my full meaning when I said "believers". I meant those who take one side axiomatically without any room at all for entertaining other possibilities.

For instance, a good friend of mine is one of the eleven people questioned after 9/11 due to the access they had to the particular strain of Anthrax that was mailed out.

When we invaded Iraq due to "WMD's"...I asked my friend their opinion. They work in the field, they are a scientist. They could give me a VERY solidly grounded opinion on the matter. But...I do not accept their view point as absolute truth. I accept it in a weighted format. I keep it in heavy consideration. Right alongside the consideration I give the idea that maybe we didn't invade them for the eradication of WMD's. Maybe, just maybe, it was for other reasons.

My take on a "believer"...is someone who doggedly follows one vector of thought. Someone who refuses to weigh new information, truly review it and consider it's possibilities...simply because it belies the vector of thought they are already on.

My take on a "believer" is that they are close-minded.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I agree completely, I've been coming to the same realization. And as you said it's not a single thing causing the loss of value, rather a combo platter of personally growing beyond it and the shift of the content away from the supernatural/conspiracy/esoteric/scientific to more political topics and/or flat out anger/hatred. Too much subjective thinking, not enough objective thinking.
edit on 8-8-2015 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
So, I've seen the word shill appear several times in this thread.

And its endemic of a problem.

But not what you might think.

"Shill" as it has been used in the context of this thread simply means "someone who does not agree with me, so I'm going to try and discredit them, no matter how logical, scientific or actually correct their comment is, because I cannot admit to being wrong"

And if you want to know whats changed on ATS in the 11 years I've been visiting the site, its exactly that.

People whining because they can't have it their way.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Ok, that's exactly what I would call the crusaders with stomping boots.

Think I catched the drift, thanks for your elaboration.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I log in every day with the hope that.. The story of the century will be on the front page... everyday I'm dissapointed.

At least way back when I could still click and a few threads and enjoy them.. those are few and far between these days.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I am about in the same boat. i understand, But i think the cause for me to not be on ats as much anymore. I was a everyday user of ATS for quite a few years. But this site has turned from ATS to get your add's placed here. i only come here about once every few weeks now. anytime you click on to read a thread 75% of the time you get a full screen add sometimes with no way of even closing the add down so you can read the thread. I cant recommend this site to anyone anymore it has become more adware then info

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: St0mP121

Wow, I hear this all the time, but I don't see it myself, no pop-up ad's or anything, not on my laptop or my old android phone.
I'm running Opera browser on my old XP windows laptop though!

...I ain't upgrading 'til she dies though

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Save us
The human, existence
Is failing, resistance
Essential, the future
Written off, the odds are
Astronomically against us
Only moron and genius
Would fight a losing battle
Against the super ego
When giving in is so damn comforting

And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline
Be the victim of our own design
The status quo, built on suspect
Why would anyone stick out their neck?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Thank goodness someone said it....it's a shame it will fall on deaf ears (eyes in this media)

It just seems like if these people don't agree with me they MUST be wrong. Things fluctuate constantly in forums, media, social presence, etc. People go on and on bashing others then get hit in return and suddenly "it's an attack on _______"

I like this site still from my start a bit ago...but the one thing I do know is that the three or fours times I found myself getting tired of it...I departed...simple as that. No grand statement about how ATS is in decline and I am leaving! ((I know those pop up frequently)...just took a break

Metallicus...honestly, I get what you're trying to convey but if it is so bothersome, head out for a breather. Certainly doesn't have to be permanent by any means...but just let er go for a while...

This next part isn't towards you at all, just general comment

any single thread that seems like it might incite a member's frustrations can be dealt with swiftly...by not clicking on the thread...it's so simple yet member's make it sound so hard...almost as if they MUST enter this thread. Then they come in, get their hair standing up and tails puffed out and flip a lid...they know full well that a certain topic r perhaps a certain poster/OP will get them going but instead of taking the big boy/girl route and just ignoring it, they purposefully set themselves in the position to read a thread they KNOW full well will irritate them and then proceed to tell everyone how it is so-and-so's fault. I just don't get it at all

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Some people think inside the box, while others try to think outside the box, and I find there are those here that prefer no box at all.

Some would think of our site as just a bunch of ........(you fill in the title).....

rationalwiki.org... .........like these guys. Anyone can join, and everyone has an opinion. Trolls and shills frequent the site of course, but still a good amount of interesting topics emerge day to day.
ATS has changed a lot in the last year and a half, but is still the one remarkable singular ATS it's founders envisioned I believe.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

What happened to discourse? Discussion? Hearing someone out? Asking questions to attempt to come to a better degree of understanding why the other person is saying what they are saying, regardless of your own personal belief?

Ah! Yuh see, that's when it can get tricky. This very thread has someone else talking about discourse being so essential, yet in another thread very soon after would make assumptions solely based on the premise that the tentative OP was true. The no smoke without fire syndrome, easily effected. Makes you wonder!
edit on 8-8-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
And watching PublicOpinion's video on George Orwell, it made me think for a second..

Perhaps we are a looking for Prophets or Deeper Mysteries..

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I think it also depends upon what sort of a person you are, what your core social interests are and the extent to what knowledge you had (on an array of differing subjects) prior to joining.

For instance, a 19 year-old me versus a 45 year-old me both joining ATS at the same time would yield 2 completely different members - one is just starting to learn some truths and has his world-view structured accordingly, the other has been exposed to many conspiracies, has had the time to read a lot a material and research subject matter many times and has a more defined and seasoned world-view accordingly.

"Relax", said the night man. "We are programmed to receive. You can check-out any time you like, But you can never leave!"

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

This type of thread appears every 3-4 months on here and has done so ever since I became a member.

Which means ATS has been in steady decline ever since you became a member.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we've located the source of the problem...

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ismynameimportant

Calling people shills isn't within he T&C's, just so you know.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join