It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Value of ATS Has Declined Over Time (at least for me)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Another ATS sucks thread. Yawn.

As if this sort of thing doesn't contribute to said decline.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Is ATS a discussion board or an agreement board?

You have an idea. I disagree with your idea. Am I not allowed to comment with my disagreement? Should people only comment on things that they agree with?

I'll concede that the manner in which some people engage in debate leaves something to be desired, but I'm fairly certain we're supposed to discuss things here and not just a) stay quiet about our opinions or b) post with "well your spaghetti monster idea sure sounds neat! and then move on.

But maybe I have a weird definition of "discussion."

I don't agree...

Jude

I would prefer that you had either agreed or ignored my comment.

For future reference.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I suppose the issue I am having now is that I have seen a lot of the same posters post the same crap over and over. I am not learning as much new stuff anymore because in a very real sense I have read so much of it before

I think I can help with my own 'conspiracy'- I call it the Roswell syndrome.

Why don't people care about Roswell anymore? because we know all there is to know. People have been talking about it for decades and since there is no new information there is no reason to get excited. The same goes for UFO's, bigfoot, and so forth. We hear or see something that we have seen a million times before we can't get excited because we are no closer to the truth then Kenneth Arnold was all those years ago.

But on the other hand other subjects are becoming more exciting-we are learning more and more about our ancestors and there are new discoveries and inconsistencies creeping up everywhere-there could be an archaeological discovery that could change history just begging to be dug up.

edit on 8-8-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It's just not the same since these guys left.....

edit on 8-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You have an idea. I disagree with your idea. Am I not allowed to comment with my disagreement? Should people only comment on things that they agree with?

I'll concede that the manner in which some people engage in debate leaves something to be desired, but I'm fairly certain we're supposed to discuss things here and not just a) stay quiet about our opinions or b) post with "well your spaghetti monster idea sure sounds neat! and then move on.

I don't agree...

Jude

For future reference.

And I would prefer that you recognize sarcasm when it's presented.

But if not, ok I agree.

Jude

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

There's only so much Ghost/Bigfoot/UFO/Ancient Alien/Chemtrail/Illuminati/NWO/pseudoscience/medical conspiracy stories out there and they have a shelf life. How long were you wanting to discuss the same exact evidence/video/whistle blower on each of those? Should they not be debunked if it's bunk?

Politics, news, social issues are different everyday or always evolving. That's just the way it is.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yeah, back in the good old days when everything was more exciting and one ever argued or were ever mean to each other, it was just blue skies and sunny days all the time, right?

lol, old people have been reminiscing about how much better the 'good old days' were since time began...

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In these sort of times I visit a random forum and filter the threads so the one with the most replies is at the top and after all these years it seems Ive only scratched through the clearcoat in terms of what's really hear. Maybe go back and re-read some of your favorite older threads and something new might jump out at you.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I don't agree...

Jude

For future reference.

And I would prefer that you recognize sarcasm when it's presented.

But if not, ok I agree.

Jude

And I would prefer you do the same, as you clearly missed mine which was in response to yours.

Sarcasm Class dismissed.

Winner = Shamrock.

edit on 8-8-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Well I am getting mine as I did when I first joined.

My main reason for coming here is to get a realistic vibe about the U.S people, to find out how you guys think and feel, your lives and your views. It is good stuff.

Guys, your election is coming. Things are going to get a bit political for a time now. It just happens like that.

As for the content. Well it is sometimes up, sometimes down. Good times and not so good times.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Nothing usual here. Just like a new car, or new anything, the novelty wears off. You're not the first to feel this way and you won't be the last but it's not like this is unique only to ATS. Take a break and come back whenever.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think ATS has evolved with the social media generation, and it's just a case of adapting as appropriate.
One of the downsides I see is one liner posts from new members who forget they are not on facebook, and especially new and old members who are unable to debate without emotion clouding their responses.

I've seen a creeping sensitivity growing over the years as well where members expect to have respect for their opinions, and get butt hurt when they do not get it.
I respect everyones right to an opinion but if I think it is ridiculous, I will say so and explain my reasons why. Same in real life.

The usual response is 'troll!' just because I disagree and come back with arguments like a dog with a bone. Indeed the recent troll thread where the OP describes all trolls as narcicist, psychopaths, and sadists was a pointless episode for me as when I proposed an example where this is not the case, the OP pretty much refused to debate.

If this place becomes a mutual appreciation jerk circle then that would just be boring. Debate requires differing opinions, but it does not require lame overly emotional responses, that is never helpful.

Regarding conspiracies well, they have mostly been discussed a million times, so unless we have insider members with something new to bring to the table then I guess we have to be content with MSM stories being shared here and discussed from an alternative slant.

Whatever we think about ATS, I will personally assert that it is superior to any other place I know of for discussion, but that is all I'm here for.
I have never been here to make friends, just to enjoy robust and interesting debate, it's just a pity there are so many overly emotional types here who take disagreement as a personal attack. They are very tiresome in my opinion, but hey, it's better than facebook.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The dead will bury the dead. We should let them.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Back in the day.....of Internet Etiquette (think HP monitors as big as suitcases and commodores)
It was routine for new members to actually read the archives so as not to be a posting-twit and piss off the rest of the membership. To say that they should now as well is like, anarchy!!

People get so irate over what used to be common sense.
Sure you can post however you like, where ever you want.......but should you? Most times, no.

Lately there are multiple threads all over ATS of the same topic.
Yeah....back in prehistory they would have all been merged into one. Of course back then forums had to cram stuff cause of bandwidth concerns. NO frivolous used of BANDWIDTH people!!! LOL....
No large pictures, sometimes even no video's!!
Those days are long gone.

Lately people haven't even had the self control to post their topic in the appropriate forum section.
FFS?????
Altho this is a free forum for us, peeps are doggedly posting ignorantly, defending their right to (very badly) debunk topics that the rest of us cut our teeth on 40 yrs ago. Hey, go for it, but don't call it Denying Ignorance!
It's "something" but it isn't that. If it was posters would provide all the necessary background info, add it to their thread, and then stick around & field comments.

yeah.....
We get YouTube links, someone who has been discredited 20 yrs ago bloviating in a seminar, absentee OP's.....
biased news articles....rehashes of discredited stuff....people who don't understand ANY science arguing with Phage....
( give that up new people, just accept he's correct
the rest of us did)

Now fair enough I could start some pretty cool threads, but that doesn't address the lack of Forum Etiquette and people self educating before typing. What's the point of working to pull together a great thread if everyone who reads is it blurbing over pissing contests, ignoring really dumb-assed comments and basically reading 8 posts out of 3 thread pages?

once it's off the New page no ones going to ever see it again anyways!

Not bashing ATS...times have changed, people truly don't have any limits on themselves and see no reason to act with any integrity. Bandwidth options removed the only governors on a forum, so ces't le vie....
Sign of the Times.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
This type of thread appears every 3-4 months on here and has done so ever since I became a member.

We see a lot of repeat threads simply because new people bring their own opinions on certain subjects, particularly the 9/11 forum or UFO forum.

What I tend to do is read through them anyway, if I do not have anything to add, I will not comment. If there is something I feel would be worth adding, then I do.

Very much like now.

That's pretty much as I see it.
Anyway, there is always a gem or two to be gained even if the subject is old.
Like the O'Hare airport UFO, just recently a thread came up on this neglected story, and it is amazing just how many people were involved, but even more importantly was a report in PDF form by NARCAP an organisation I'd heard something about, but not about their report on the O'Hare UFO. It is one of the most incredibly detailed reports I have seen, about near anything. I'm still going through it!
MH370 had some very interesting things come up too regarding INMARSAT analysis being flawed..there are still independent researchers working on that, who knows as yet what might come up. So really, there is plenty going on!

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Too much ego...

People come here and try to debunk, ridicule and "win" in every way possible.

I often like to think, debate and talk about subjects that I am open minded about yet don't firmly believe but for some posters, just the idea that some would be discussing what they don't believe in hurts their ego and the MUST try to discredit and appeal to the masses.

Some do it as a defense mechanism too. For example, some just fear the ideas of a global elite so much that they will say that's it's impossible...like if thinking something was impossible that it just disappears. Move along, nothing to see here.

Some posters seem happy that others are in the same denial and star their post because it makes them feel safe to think that the "majority" doesn't believe in that "nonsense". Some posters, I can already know what they will say just by seeing their picture...some never bring anything positive to discussions and actually makes other posters who would of joined in back off. Even I often feel that my post will be brushed off and ignored because the majority of the thread's posters already "decided" what's the truth.

I don't know if it's worst than before but I learned to just ignore some ego filled posters with their closed minds that act like they have something to lose if people discuss subjects that they don't believe in.

That and well, shills...
Considering how much money countries like the USA are spending on spying, propaganda and keeping the status quo, someone would have to be a totally oblivious to think that it's not worth it to spend 25k a year on a shill to sway online debates and opinions...hell, a single missile can cost a million. Anyone who denies this logic clearly doesn't understand how the world works.
edit on 8-8-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
There have definitely been changes over the years in the nature of posts -- and posters. I miss the threads discussing ideas and possibilities and "what ifs" of all kinds. I think more folks nowadays come to discuss their already established opinions... not to learn or explore or consider other perspectives.

But there are still great debates and discussions and informative threads to be found. Sometimes I posit an idea and no one even responds... okay. No on has to. But other times I great really thoughtful and thought-provoking responses that open up bright new horizons for me. Even ones that totally contradict my current perspective. Those are the ones that I treasure and keep coming back for.

We have lots of gems here at ATS

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I will have to agree, its more about the NEWS than anything else, tired of seeing threads that start with
"BREAKING NEWS"

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I do agree that in the beginning there was an explosion of knowledge i.e. "skyfloating" threads and many more. It does seem as though there is a decline but this is not of ATS or majority of it's members. This is the impact of P.C. mentality and the destruction of the family model and dumb-ing down the masses in most western style nations throughout the world. It's slow and you don't notice it at first until you see the education level of the next generation. Ever generation stupider than the last and all to willing to lean on the Government tet... And there are exceptions to every generation but they all have one thing in common: the will to be different ,to be aware, and a natural yearning to discover truths in this world, those are the ones who break the mold. The reason you see so much intellectual decline currently is because most have sold out knowledge for pleasure, intellect for lust, and reason for reality t.v. and miley cryus, see my point.

Also one thing I learned on here.........If you start getting to bored on ATS, maybe you leveled up your knowledge a bit(I know the feeling, tasting knowledge but finding empty minds) and currently abit bored with the intellect on current threads so; maybe you can create a intellectual thread and enlighten others as others have done so for us as well, urge creativity and it will be manifest........

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Another ATS sucks thread. Yawn.

As if this sort of thing doesn't contribute to said decline.

I don't think ATS sucks at all. I simply don't see as many new ideas as I used to and frankly the political stuff gets tiresome. I wasn't even alluding to a decline in quality as much as I don't get as much new information as I used to get.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join